Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star Trek: Picard [spoilers]

Regardless of whether they make any more TNG/DS9/Voyager era stuff, we already know that everything goes to shit anyway, because Discovery told us so, which rather spoils some of the messaging of hope and optimism that was so attractive about Star Trek in the first place.

Well, it's only one of many possibilities.

Star Trek has always been a mirror of the times it was made in. Civil rights, space exploration, hope, conflict, old enemies becoming allies, the unknown and unexpected etc...

I think we can all agree on Manimal
Trouble is they would do it properly now and it would be rubbish. Same with that woman on space 1999.

Actually . . . modern automan wouldn't make any sense either. You would have to do them both low tec retro. In fact maybe they should just put out repeats of Automan, manimal and street hawk.
Same with star trek. I'm just going to watch the old ones and stop moaning.

Trouble is they would do it properly now and it would be rubbish. Same with that woman on space 1999.

Actually . . . modern automan wouldn't make any sense either. You would have to do them both low tec retro. In fact maybe they should just put out repeats of Automan, manimal and street hawk.
Same with star trek. I'm just going to watch the old ones and stop moaning.

Mate, no offence, but this modern pop culture just is not for you ;)

so i guess the masked aliens chasing beveley crusher are also behind the "red lady" bombing? Not sure if they are new or aliens from orig next gen? Also who is the "handler"? Guessing it'll be someone we know? :hmm:

I haven't watched the new one but remember when that woman looked like his romulan girlfriend for no reason?

Wouldn't it be good if it was Groppler Zorn getting his revenge.
I guess time will tell. Going after the Rachel Garrett statue is significant, but that implies time travel shenanigans. It's also the origin of the character Sela, so perhaps Denise Crosby is coming back?

Wouldn't it be good if it was Groppler Zorn getting his revenge.
I guess time will tell. Going after the Rachel Garrett statue is significant, but that implies time travel shenanigans. It's also the origin of the character Sela, so perhaps Denise Crosby is coming back?
crosby kicked up a fuss on Twitter that she wasn’t invited to the premiere. Dunno if that’s a swerve, the ship looked Romulan esque from nemesis and the reboot film. On the flip I don’t understand how she can shirty about not being invited to a show she decided to walk out on and has clearly spent 30 years regretting

crosby kicked up a fuss on Twitter that she wasn’t invited to the premiere. Dunno if that’s a swerve, the ship looked Romulan esque from nemesis and the reboot film. On the flip I don’t understand how she can shirty about not being invited to a show she decided to walk out on and has clearly spent 30 years regretting
This whole thing is going to coast on frightening levels of fan service. Captain Shaw was a massive twat of course. Just like the Captain of the Enterprise C in Generations. Riker should have hit him with his trombone, None of this is a spoiler

This whole thing is going to coast on frightening levels of fan service. Captain Shaw was a massive twat of course. Just like the Captain of the Enterprise C in Generations. Riker should have hit him with his trombone, None of this is a spoiler
The captain of the C was Rachel Garrett who appears as a statue in this episode. You're thinking of John Harriman captain of the Enterprise B. The La Forges daughter bit was very Generations. Harrison was more an incompetent twat rather than a twat for the sake of it like Shaw.

It's annoying. His reasoning was . . . well, reasonable, but he delivered it like a 'baddie'. Life does not have to be about baddies and goodies.

The captain of the C was Rachel Garrett who appears as a statue in this episode. You're thinking of John Harriman captain of the Enterprise B. The La Forges daughter bit was very Generations. Harrison was more an incompetent twat rather than a twat for the sake of it like Shaw.
all the non main cast starfleet captians are twats. It's how they demarcate the heroes. Kelsey Grammar got stuck in a timewarp and Rachel Garrett started a war with the klingons. Fucking idiots. None of them got robot bodies either. Apparently Lore is in this series, which can only be a good thing

all the non main cast starfleet captians are twats. It's how they demarcate the heroes. Kelsey Grammar got stuck in a timewarp and Rachel Garrett started a war with the klingons. Fucking idiots. None of them got robot bodies either. Apparently Lore is in this series, which can only be a good thing
She never started a war with the Klingons she prevented one. Sorry, it's bedtime and I wouldn't sleep. I'm not picking on you.

Probably not the brightest idea when off to your secret "don't trust starfleet mission" to bring fucking starfleet.

I'm really enjoying this so far.

I can't believe who returned, wish the man with the beard wasn't so smug all the time though.

I can't watch it. Mrs SI has given up waiting and started without me. Patrick Stewart is too old for the role. I don't understand the plots and like with Disco just don't like the writing.

Gonna take more that a little multimodal reflection sorting to regain my Interest in Picard.
Mind you only got as far as episode 1 of season 2. Maybe I can binge season 2 and be revitalised.

I'm enjoying it far more than season 2.
This episode was still good but I had the most complaints.
Over 20 years and they've made the Changeling effects worse.

Why is Riker suddenly a terrible captain?
He should never have put up with Picard's shit on the bridge. He was always more aggressive and better than Picard in a ship on ship situation. He was quick to exploit any advantage to defeat a superior opponent.

Is there no way of communicating internally on the Titan?
"I have important tactical information give the Captain a shout." would solve a lot..
"Ask the captain if I can leave for a minute or he can spare someone to help the guy with an idea that could save us."

Last edited:
I have to say this is light years better than the previous two seasons. Not sure about the choice of villains (assuming no further twists).

My only issue is the dialogue at times feels really out of character. Im' not sure why Picard turned into a massive twat half waay through the episode either

Wow. Not only S3 is so far orders of magnitude better than the previous one, episode 3 is in my book one of the best single episodes of any ST series of the last few years.

Massively gripping, very enjoyable thrilling drama, and a three dimensional and well written storyline of legacy main characters from TNG to boot. This is what any Star Trek reboot/ sequel series should be aiming for.

Gonna take more that a little multimodal reflection sorting to regain my Interest in Picard.
Mind you only got as far as episode 1 of season 2. Maybe I can binge season 2 and be revitalised.
Frankly I’d advise you to give S2 a miss. In any event, if you watch it you mustn’t let it stop you from watching S3.

Regarding the fate of another legacy character
Perhaps I missed his death as I haven’t watched some of the spin-off series from the 90s and early 2000s, but I was surprised to hear Beverley say she’d lost Wesley. Have we seen him die in any ST series, or is it a new revelation?

Wesley is the Jar Jar Binks of ST. Nobody likes him :D

Frankly I’d advise you to give S2 a miss. In any event, if you watch it you mustn’t let it stop you from watching S3.

Perhaps I missed his death as I haven’t watched some of the spin-off series from the 90s and early 2000s, but I was surprised to hear Beverley say she’d lost Wesley. Have we seen him die in any ST series, or is it a new revelation?

He did go off on an adventure with that alien.
I know he was at the Troi Riker wedding but perhaps they retconned that so he is still off on an adventure.

That or Will Wheaton just said no.

Who has
Dr Crusher is actually a changeling
on their bingo card?

Wesley Crusher? You saw season 2, right?

Back
Top Bottom