Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star Trek: Picard [spoilers]

There was a moment at the beginning of the episode where I thought that the borg conflict would spread bringing in the authorities. Once the threat is dealt with awareness of an extraterrestrial threat accelerates various tendencies and Earth get ready to fuck up any aliens that visit or they bump into given an advantage by salvaged Borg and Confederation tech left lying around. Good work Picard you done this.
The problem is that by doing this, they would actually tie together some of the plot threads and present a reason for something having happened. Heaven forbid.

The problem is that by doing this, they would actually tie together some of the plot threads and present a reason for something having happened. Heaven forbid.
Obviously that isn't going to happen.
The making friends with the borg queen was very Star Trek in its way. Possibly the most trek thing they have done on Picard. It was of course handled terribly. Not a fan of the Borg queen especially talking about 'myself' and being a leader rather than a unique part of the collective or a mere means of communication like what was done with Locutus or Seven of nine.. Several of them have arguably utterly shat on the temporal prime directive.
Several of them have arguably utterly shat on the temporal prime directive.

One of them stabbed it in the face.

Recent iterations of Trek have repeatedly made the entire starfleet/federation/galaxy dependent on some maverick saviour or other, which kind of shits on the whole ethos of the thing IMO.
I much preferred Q when he spent time making sure Picard know just how insignificant his own life was.

Trailer for season 3, cynically doing enough to make me still keep on watching despite the dumpster fire of the last two seasons.

So what was Q’s actual plan, then, when you look at it from his subjective frame of reference?

For now, let’s ignore the paradox that the events Q put into place had already happened by the start of the series, since it was already Agnes that had emerged from the anomaly. And Rios had already stayed in the past and inspired his stepson to do the very things that made the future as we already know it. Yet when Q made his past change, this resulted in a different time line. Doesn’t make sense.

Anyway, Q’s plan. How did he intend for it to work? Go back and do everything he can to stop Renee from going to space. Try clicking his fingers. When that doesn’t work, perform some psychological malpractice. When that doesn’t work, try to get some random doctor (why Soon? Why is he the guy for the job?) to stop Picard from reaching Renee. (And when that doesn’t work, go and break out Soon’s daughter? Why? How does that help his plan?)

All of that is directed apparently towards making Earth a bunch of cunts. Why? Apparently, purely to help Picard face his demons. But there was no reason why any of Q’s actions would lead to that outcome. It was a lucky coincidence! Some things happened to take place through sheer happenstance that realised that outcome. For a start, everything that happened in the alternative timeline that led to them being able to go back in time (with Elnor and only Elnor dead ) — total clusterfuck of coincidences. Then, having gone back in time, they had to land in the vineyard. Picard had to lose consciousness, The watcher had to choose to go into his coma. The Borg queen and Agnes had to do their entire story arc. And so on and so on and so on.

It’s such a convoluted path. Did Q really know in advance that every step of that was going to happen exactly as it happened? If so, how come he was surprised by things like his failed finger snap? He needed every moment to play out exactly as it played out for the timing to come together as it did. He couldn’t afford to be surprised by anything.

Absolute bullshit story even by its own logic.

Last edited:
Trailer for season 3, cynically doing enough to make me still keep on watching despite the dumpster fire of the last two seasons.

"Well, they hate it, what can we do now"
"Just do what Star Wars and Ghostbusters did and just go all in on the fan service"

I do like a bit of Mike and Rich. Anyway, having watched this latest of theirs, I now realise that the plot of Picard season 2 makes even less sense than I had previously noticed. None of it stands up to any thought whatsoever. Like why would the borg queen try to recruit Soon, when she knows that he is the one that brings about the timeline that destroys the Borg? How does Soon — a geneticist — build and programme four drones in a night? And that’s just for a very start (and ignoring all the ways that this conflicts with everything that we know from TNG).

Last edited:
I do like a bit of Mike and Rich. Anyway, having watched this latest of theirs, I now realise that the plot of Picard season 2 makes even less sense than I had previously noticed. None of it stands up to any thought whatsoever. Like why would the birth queen try to recruit Soon, when she knows that he is the one that brings about the timeline that destroys the Borg? How does Soon — a geneticist — build and programme four drones in a night? And that’s just for a very start (and ignoring all the ways that this conflicts with everything that we know from TNG).

I have not watched beyond episode two of the first series, but I have managed to follow all of Mike and Rich's you tubes about it. A bit long and self indulgent but almost certainly more interesting than watching the series itself.
What a waste of good characters.

I do like a bit of Mike and Rich. Anyway, having watched this latest of theirs, I now realise that the plot of Picard season 2 makes even less sense than I had previously noticed. None of it stands up to any thought whatsoever. Like why would the birth queen try to recruit Soon, when she knows that he is the one that brings about the timeline that destroys the Borg? How does Soon — a geneticist — build and programme four drones in a night? And that’s just for a very start (and ignoring all the ways that this conflicts with everything that we know from TNG).

The queen gets asked about why she is helping soon in one episode and says that because the borg know about the "confederation" they will be ready for them this time round.

The queen gets asked about why she is helping soon in one episode and says that because the borg know about the "confederation" they will be ready for them this time round.
And that’s better for the Borg than allowing an Earth to develop that is peaceful? Why?

Even if it were simply neutral, what could the Borg queen possibly have been wanting from Soon? How was his involvement helpful to her in any way?

The answer, of course, is that the writers just wanted a cartoon supervillain and Soon was it. So everything bad had to involve him, no matter how illogical.

This isn't meant to be a hot take, but here we go:

Picard Season 3 is going to be just as wank as the first two, isn't it....

don't think Atomic watches star trek so someone has to do it

when was the last star trek you like Steveo :hmm:

don't think Atomic watches star trek so someone has to do it

when was the last star trek you like Steveo :hmm:
Ha.
I would. I followed the oldies. I gave up on Picard series one episode 2 I am afraid. As much as I like to moan about some shows it's usually because I can see something in them and feel like they missed the mark. Picard missed it so spectacularly straight off the bat there was no coming back. I do keep up to date on you tube now and then just to see, but it sounds like I did the right thing.

I also didn't get past episode 3 of Discovery. It just wasn't trek at all. . . and I have watched the fan made shows. Not had a chance to check out the other prequels. They are on paramount or something right?

Picard was a great opportunity to do something different with the trek universe. I wanted Miss Marple in space.
While we are talking spin offs, Data could have done a Bob Ross style painting show.

I have watched a few Lower Decks. Seems pretty good, but I can't say I am 'adventure time' or 'Bravest Warriors' level hooked.

• Haha
Reactions: Ax^
damn it forgot you already posted on this one :D

did you not at least like old trek "strange new worlds" :hmm:

damn it forgot you already posted on this one :D

did you not at least like old trek "strange new worlds" :hmm:
As I said... I have not had a chance to check out the new prequels. They are not on any regular platforms (are they?)

As I said... I have not had a chance to check out the new prequels. They are not on any regular platforms (are they?)
I remember one season of discovery you had to send a pigeon who would bring news of a time and location you'd never heard of that you may only approach from the North West. If the sun was shining and the moon in Virgo then you could watch the next episode but if the stars didn't quite line up then it would be the next episode but one and the season arc would be ruined. It was actually slightly more convoluted and involved Pluto. I never bothered.

I remember one season of discovery you had to send a pigeon who would bring news of a time and location you'd never heard of that you may only approach from the North West. If the sun was shining and the moon in Virgo then you could watch the next episode but if the stars didn't quite line up then it would be the next episode but one and the season arc would be ruined. It was actually slightly more convoluted and involved Pluto. I never bothered.
I said I had watched Discovery. . . it was on Netflix. I don't know where the strange new worlds prequel series are streaming. . I assume it's sky or paramount or something that awkward that i'm not going to bother with.

I do remember that there was one, maybe two episodes of Discovery 'extra' or whatever it was called, that were good. 15-20 minute bite size stories that were more akin to the spirit of TNG.

I said I had watched Discovery. . . it was on Netflix. I don't know where the strange new worlds prequel series are streaming. . I assume it's sky or paramount or something that awkward that i'm not going to bother with.

I do remember that there was one, maybe two episodes of Discovery 'extra' or whatever it was called, that were good. 15-20 minute bite size stories that were more akin to the spirit of TNG.
It was after it left Netflix. I never finished what was on there though. It became a bit of a chore. I never watched the extra episodes.

Ok, the Picard trauma was stretched out a bit and how many Dr Singhs are there?

Otherwise, very enjoyable and rewarding
Lots. I assume the managed to clone themselves as there is also one in Enterprise. He was well into his genetic fucking about but realised at the end artificial intelligence was better though to make progress would take generations.

Ok, the Picard trauma was stretched out a bit and how many Dr Singhs are there?

Otherwise, very enjoyable and rewarding
It was all just shouting, emoting, posturing and shooting people in the face. Which can be fine. But it’s not Jean-Luc Picard.

Apart from picard (which is on amazon prime) all star trek stuff is on paramount+ now.

Back
Top Bottom