Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star Trek: Picard [spoilers]

I wouldn’t mind it being about unresolved childhood issues if it was done well but this is done terribly. And there is plenty of action but it is all done terribly as well. The shame of it is that the first couple of episodes are quite good and look like they’re setting up an interesting story. Then they go off at 90 degrees.

There are some good moments and some good scenes but the odd gem is not worth the chaff.

I gave up after a few early episodes of season 1. I heard that in season 2 that whale woman from voyage home is in it?

I'd genuinely rather watch a show about an old man who used to be a great space captain but now just runs a vineyard.
Now and then his famous diplomacy skills in bigger events are called upon, but this is sparingly mixed in with him sourcing a replacement part for his old space teapot. We are drip fed details of his last years in starfleet. Holo deck/Transporter tech episodes at Halloween and christmas.

I'd genuinely rather watch a show about an old man who used to be a great space captain but now just runs a vineyard.
Now and then his famous diplomacy skills in bigger events are called upon, but this is sparingly mixed in with him sourcing a replacement part for his old space teapot. We are drip fed details of his last years in starfleet. Holo deck/Transporter tech episodes at Halloween and christmas.
That sounds like proper Star Trek to me.

That sounds like proper Star Trek to me.
Actually yes. Even if he was kept on at starfleet as a day to day diplomat but had a vineyard on the side. It would be just like DS9 but in the ground. . . . . or maybe he could have a deep space vineyard outpost.
All these new shows seem waaaay off the mark, and despite being injected with bombast as seemingly exciting action content, they are just straight up boring. It's insane that a parody show like Orville is more star trek than star trek.

100% agree with this. I've not watched any of season two, on the grounds that season one was disappointing (though there were some ok bits)

Sorry for repeating a point I've made a couple of times but one of the best Picard TNG episodes (possibly the best) is the one where he goes home to his brother, after the Borg have almost destroyed him. That should have been where they based this off of - an aged Picard, suffering from everything that he did / was done to him in his career, confronted with an oblivious French countryside and a Federation that has moved on. With decent writers (which admittedly don't appear to exist given how season 1 went and how season 2 has been described) it could have been brilliant and a fitting response to some of the frothy CGI madness that has taken over the franchise.

100% agree with this. I've not watched any of season two, on the grounds that season one was disappointing (though there were some ok bits)

Sorry for repeating a point I've made a couple of times but one of the best Picard TNG episodes (possibly the best) is the one where he goes home to his brother, after the Borg have almost destroyed him. That should have been where they based this off of - an aged Picard, suffering from everything that he did / was done to him in his career, confronted with an oblivious French countryside and a Federation that has moved on. With decent writers (which admittedly don't appear to exist given how season 1 went and how season 2 has been described) it could have been brilliant and a fitting response to some of the frothy CGI madness that has taken over the franchise.
It's the character and universe he existed in that was good, that's why they could get away with all that holodeck nonsense.
I really want to see my version of the show now. . . but written by the Better Call Saul writers.

It’s all over the place. Like every episode was written by a new person who had only been told how the last one ended. The TV equivalent of that game where you draw a body part and then fold the paper over for the next person.
Perfect description of it.

I just don't get it. It's just weird how they could go anywhere in space and they're stuck pissing about on earth and teaming up for adventures. Several of them have arguably utterly shat on the temporal prime directive.

There are just so many plot threads.

We started with unrequited love (with a woman who had a husband last time we saw her but since died offscreen)
We then went to the promise of new adventures of a space cadet (Elnor)
Then we jumped to a spacetime anomaly.
From which came a weird new Borg queen
Then we were suddenly in a parallel timestream, in which humanity was an evil empire (but the same people still existed just with different personalities)
Then we went back in time (but we never found out how humanity became that evil empire)
Then we had a subplot with horrible emigration people, which just stopped abruptly
And there was something about an underfunded clinic, which we stopped paying attention to
Oh look, Guinan
Now we have to care about Picard’s ancestor going to space
And there’s Data’s creator’s ancestor too
Who also has a genetically-engineered daughter
And he’s now the bad guy
Q has lost his powers
Shit, now the Borg queen is the bad guy
Christobal has a romantic thing going on
And now the big plot is Picard’s childhood

And that’s just off the top of my head, I’ve probably missed a load.

From that shit, just pick an A-plot and a B-plot for the love of Roddenberry

Last edited:
Oh yeah, there’s also somebody called a “watcher” that is watching Picard’s ancestor for some reason.
And she looks like the unrequited love interest, for no apparent reason.

We've already seen old Picard in his vineyard on TNG. They should've left him there.

Recent iterations of Trek have repeatedly made the entire starfleet/federation/galaxy dependent on some maverick saviour or other, which kind of shits on the whole ethos of the thing IMO.

I just don't get it. It's just weird how they could go anywhere in space and they're stuck pissing about on earth and teaming up for adventures. Several of them have arguably utterly shat on the temporal prime directive.

Doctor Who would practically (no, literally) never be on contemporary Earth, or rather here at all, if that rule was followed.

He’s a niche xenophile weirdo.

Exactly as RLM
Never understood the love of quantum leap, as a kid when it first aired I thought it was shit. Trouble was there was nothing else on and it was vaguely sci-fi so obviously I watched most of them (though I must have given up at some point because I never saw how it ended).

. . . and a 'Quantum' Leap? Surely that would be the tiniest imperceivable movement?

. . . and a 'Quantum' Leap? Surely that would be the tiniest imperceivable movement?
Technically, I think it would mean a leap between two states that have a discontinuity between them. The distance is not relevant to it being two quanta.

Technically, I think it would mean a leap between two states that have a discontinuity between them. The distance is not relevant to it being two quanta.
You mean a disconnected change in state? Surely it would still be on a quantum level so not perhaps Scott Backula sized.

I'll bet the series title and pop culture has already changed the actually meaning anyway.

You mean a disconnected change in state? Surely it would still be on a quantum level so not perhaps Scott Backula sized.

I'll bet the series title and pop culture has already changed the actually meaning anyway.
Quantum can refer to states of energy but it more generically just refers to discrete states of some measurable quantity.

There was a moment at the beginning of the episode where I thought that the borg conflict would spread bringing in the authorities. Once the threat is dealt with awareness of an extraterrestrial threat accelerates various tendencies and Earth get ready to fuck up any aliens that visit or they bump into given an advantage by salvaged Borg and Confederation tech left lying around. Good work Picard you done this.

Back
Top Bottom