Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Some parts of the UK have one Airbnb one listing for every four properties

editor

hiraethified
There's no denying it's a handy way to find affordable accomodation, but along with the scourge of second homes, this can't be good for small communities:

Airbnb has become so prevalent in Great Britain that some parts of the country now have one listing for every four properties, prompting concern that the rapid expansion in short-term lets is “out of control” and depriving communities of much-needed homes.

Exclusive analysis by the Guardian identified Airbnb hotspots in both rural areas and inner-city neighbourhoods, where the ratio of active Airbnb listings to homes was more than 20 times higher than the average across England, Scotland and Wales.

The highest incidence of Airbnbs was in Edinburgh Old Town, where there were 29 active listings for every 100 properties.

The north-west of Skye had the second-highest concentration, at 25 listings per 100 properties, including a seafront bothy (£50 a night), a modern cottage clad in corrugated tin (£190) and an isolated cottage with ocean and mountain views (£160).

Edinburgh Old Town is a tourist mecca all year round, that said, there's not a huge amount of residential properties compared to other parts of the city, so that could be skewing the stats a little bit.

And that area of the Highlands, there's relatively few properties there full stop. I think they should have done airbnd to non Airbnb per 100 properties per square mile.

I was surprised to find a dozen or so listings within a mile of me.

Although most are just spare rooms rather than whole properties.

Loads of cities are clamping down on Airbnb

1582290188940.png

In photos: Street art and anarchist graffiti of Exarchia, Athens, Greece

As seen in Exarchia

In England, the area with the highest rate of Airbnb lets was Woolacombe, Georgeham and Croyde, in Devon, with 23 listings for every 100 properties.

Woolacombe is where I grew up. Second homes were already a plague there long before Airbnb. We went to see our old house this summer, it's now a holiday let. My family sold it below market price because we believed we were selling it to a family who were actually going to live there. They never did, they gutted the place and flipped it.

My parents have decided to move to Devon. They want somewhere with a community. This is becoming increasingly difficult to find - it's not just Airbnb, either, it's well-off Londoners who have too many houses because Tories. So no one can afford to live there now anyway. But Airbnb probably doesn't help, either.

My mum wants a sea view. I had to explain that you can have a sea view or a local community. You don't get both anymore.

My parents have decided to move to Devon. They want somewhere with a community. This is becoming increasingly difficult to find - it's not just Airbnb, either, it's well-off Londoners who have too many houses because Tories. So no one can afford to live there now anyway. But Airbnb probably doesn't help, either.

My mum wants a sea view. I had to explain that you can have a sea view or a local community. You don't get both anymore.

TBF blow-in retirees don't help either.

A bit different in my case because I can't cope with them being 4 hours away and constantly up ladders or being 'a bit poorly'. So they sort of had to agree to it. And they will definitely buy a bungalow that an old duffer died in and a young family probably wouldn't want. But point taken I suppose.

According to a search on Air B&B, and my own knowledge of how many homes there actually are on my small road, 1 in six properties has an air b&b listing. It would be more if half the road weren't social housing. I think that's gone up since last time I looked.

It's not the same as people buying holiday homes though. Lots of the homeowners in east London got their deposits due to having wealthy parents in other areas of the country, and bingo, gentrification, but it's still better than the homes left deliberately empty for profit reasons, or people just staying there now and then.

(I guess lots of old people moving into an area is gerenteroflicatian?)

Having a seaview wipes out half your surrounding community by definition anyway.

Woolacombe is where I grew up. Second homes were already a plague there long before Airbnb. We went to see our old house this summer, it's now a holiday let. My family sold it below market price because we believed we were selling it to a family who were actually going to live there. They never did, they gutted the place and flipped it.

It's deffo all stepped up a notch or two in Wooly now tho, prices have shot up over last 5 yrs, flash developments and dead in winter ( except half terms ) .... wasn't at all surprised to see the div from Gulf Stream say how much she liked it, as it paid for her to go on foreign surf trips during winter : zero concern for anyone else / wider implications ( middle class surf goons suck, by and large).

Meanwhile some of my daughters' ex school mates in remote, poor parts of N Devon literally can't get even seasonal jobs, as no buses after 5 pm any more,, and minimum wage won't get them anything to live in near anywhere with jobs. Stuck at home, skint, lonely.

Last edited:
A bit different in my case because I can't cope with them being 4 hours away and constantly up ladders or being 'a bit poorly'. So they sort of had to agree to it. And they will definitely buy a bungalow that an old duffer died in and a young family probably wouldn't want. But point taken I suppose.

I mean no disrespect, everyone should have the chance to live somewhere nice. But the age balance in some rural communities is pretty skewed already, if only because of young folk choosing/being forced to move away to find work and/or affordable homes.

My dad lives in cornwall and puts his house on airbnb in the summer, so I've had these discussions with him too tbf. He expresses sadness at the fact I can probably never come home to Devon to raise my own kids, while contributing directly to that state of affairs.

It's deffo all stepped up a notch or two in Wooly now tho, prices have shot up over last 5 yrs, flash developments and dead in winter ( except half terms ) .... wasn't at all surprised to see the div from Gulf Stream say how much she liked it, as it paid for her to go on foreign surf trips during winter : zero concern for anyone else / wider implications ( middle class surf goons suck, by and large).

Meanwhile some of my daughters' school mates in remote, poor parts of N Devon literally can't get even seasonal jobs, as no buses after 5 pm,, and minimum wage won't get them anything to live in near anywhere with jobs. Stuck at home, skint, lonely.

The bus services in north Devon have been gutted since First which used to run all the routes fucked off. I relied on those buses for both education and work as a kid.

Meanwhile some of my daughters' school mates in remote, poor parts of N Devon literally can't get even seasonal jobs, as no buses after 5 pm,, and minimum wage won't get them anything to live in near anywhere with jobs. Stuck at home, skint, lonely.
Same as in areas of the North and I dare say in other rural/semi rural areas. Public transport , lack of afforable houing and a changing local economy has made these places like that.

Same as in areas of the North and I dare say in other rural/semi rural areas. Public transport , lack of afforable houing and a changing local economy has made these places like that.

Works out nice for the tories though, if their policies effectively depopulate their target seats of young folk.

exmouth is sort of alright

My town is so saturated with AirBnB that the air bnb prices are brutally driven down to a point where the small single room operations are effectively not worth doing.
Loads of people I know pimp out their house for the summer and van life it or go travelling

The kids who effectively run the town in summer work 5 days to pay the rent and survive on 2 days pay a week

Where does it go from there

There is even an hierarchy of van life

Van that runs and is taxed and MOt’d
Van that runs no tax or MOT
Van that doesn’t run but taxed and MOT’d
Van that doesn’t run and isn’t Taxed and MOt’d
Stationary caravan stashed somewhere friendly
Sofa surfing
Street homeless

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom