Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Some parts of the UK have one Airbnb one listing for every four properties

Some stats were posted recently on another thread, but lots of 'red wall' seats have indeed lost a significant chunk of their under-35 demographic in recent years.
Any idea where this thread is or where the figures on red wall seats are that you refer to?

My town is so saturated with AirBnB that the air bnb prices are brutally driven down to a point where the small single room operations are effectively not worth doing.
Loads of people I know pimp out their house for the summer and van life it or go travelling

The kids who effectively run the town in summer work 5 days to pay the rent and survive on 2 days pay a week

Where does it go from there

There is even an hierarchy of van life

Van that runs and is taxed and MOt’d
Van that runs no tax or MOT
Van that doesn’t run but taxed and MOT’d
Van that doesn’t run and isn’t Taxed and MOt’d
Stationary caravan stashed somewhere friendly
Sofa surfing
Street homeless

Yeah my dad lives in a van in the summer. He's too old for it and grumbles about it but as he owns a perfectly nice house he could live in instead I've got no sympathy.

I have spent time long-term sofa surfing in Devon due to the impossible work/rent equation.

Quite a number of flats let out through Airbnb on my estate. I knew the flat next to mine was, but when there was a major works contract the year before last I learned the two flats beyond it were as well. (And I'm not in the most airbnb'd part of Tower Hamlets. That's apparently at the North end of Brick Lane).

It caused so many social problems in Barcelona people there are no longer allowed to hire their property on Airbnb without a licence. As no new licences are being issued, existing licences are apparently changing hands for up to €80,000 :eek:

It's not going to be legislated against on a national level because it is one of the things keeping property prices up, which is a priority of this government.

Airbnb is only one component. Here in Shepherd's Bush there are loads of short rent properties, and the stupidly overpriced new builds are specifically bought up for that purpose and might otherwise have to be sold for some sort of rational price.

I mean no disrespect, everyone should have the chance to live somewhere nice. But the age balance in some rural communities is pretty skewed already, if only because of young folk choosing/being forced to move away to find work and/or affordable homes.

My dad lives in cornwall and puts his house on airbnb in the summer, so I've had these discussions with him too tbf. He expresses sadness at the fact I can probably never come home to Devon to raise my own kids, while contributing directly to that state of affairs.

( no work here, obvs, and no one's going to mistake it for Wooly / Croyde etc, but Ilfr****e is still about 1/5th price of LDN etc )

It's part of a wider problem really. People have very limited time off and want to make the most of it. We naturally want to travel and get away from day to day life, but the expense of that on communities and the environment is huge. As more people are able to travel this increases demand and I think good for them. Seeing affluent and largely racist people complaining about over tourism after all their years of traveling pisses me off.

It's difficult to see what the answer is. I'm not a fan of boycotts, and our next group booking is an Air BnB, but we have never really booked one solo as they usually aren't the cheapest. But the hotels/hostels we stay at aren't any better.

I will do some digging and get back to you.

E2a: The post I was thinking of is here The 2019 General Election

Here's a more recent study and worth reading to get a better understanding of the picture
Painting the towns blue • Resolution Foundation

Findings :
Average age of 41 years is almost identical to the national average of 40.3 years.

Rather than large exoduses, people (including young people) are far less likely to move to a different local authority from the Blue Wall than from Labour or other Conservative areas (their emigration rate is around one-third lower). People are also far less likely to move into Blue Wall areas from other parts of Britain, or from abroad. So one of the defining characteristics of the Blue Wall is less a desertion by the young, and more a wider low level of demographic dynamism.

Had I the power, second homes would attract 10x* the usual council tax, and would have a 300 day residence requirement.

* I appreciate that second home owners tend to be wealthy, and 10x might not be a sufficient deterrent, so keep raising it until it is.

I think there were some similar things going on years ago, Pre-internet. An old housemate had a brother who was some sort of monied city type that had a flat/house overlooking the Wimbledon tennis pitches, and used to piss off for a couple of weeks while the annual competition thing was on and rent the flat out for thousands.

If genuinely making use of spare rooms or periods of vacancy it’s not that bad a thing, efficient and in theory would reduce demand for housing space, but it’s gone so far beyond that and now inflates housing costs.

There‘s also the issue of security in apartment blocks. There was obvious air bnb stuff going on in the block my gf used to live in, people around all the time with trolley cases, despite it being supposed ‘affordable housing’ - these random characters coming in and out had access to communal bikesheds, post areas and internal corridors. Some flats would also get rented out for parties with resultant noise and fucknuts smoking on the balconies and chucking cans off causing annoyance for everyone else. It definitely needs some regulation.

Had I the power, second homes would attract 10x* the usual council tax, and would have a 300 day residence requirement.

* I appreciate that second home owners tend to be wealthy, and 10x might not be a sufficient deterrent, so keep raising it until it is.

You don't have to be ultra wealthy to have a second home. If you bought a house in the right part of London at the right time you could easily have made enough money on that alone to afford two properties.

I do however agree that second home ownership should be disincentived, and that an increased contribution to the communities harmed by their greed is an entirely appropriate way to achieve this.

Again though, it won't happen. The tories' base has a gollum-esque fanatacism about house prices.

Alex Milburn, who has a number of properties listed on Airbnb and also featured in WIRED’s recent investigation into rogue Airbnb hosts, claims to have already lost £35,000 due to cancelled bookings. And it’s not just losses – it’s costs. Even with a fairly modest Airbnb empire of, say, 30 listings, a property manager could soon find themselves owing hundreds of thousands of pounds in unpaid rent with little to no income – and potentially little in the way of cash reserves – to pay it.

Hahahahahahahaha fuck you :D

Back
Top Bottom