Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shrinkflation watch

Annoying as cakes and bakes often require >200g of butter and if you don't notice when you're buying could end up short.
I stopped buying Lurpak and switched to the Lidl equivalent - it's still 500g and £2.20'ish and I'll be honest, IF I can tell the difference it's nothing sufficient to fight any body over

Mrs Forward always tells me not to go by price but by price per amount. Trouble is, that bit is in teeny tiny writing that I can never read. The buggers :mad:
I always do this too - think I've always carried out those mental calculations as you can't trust the buggers otherwise. I can more or less read the small print if I take my glasses off in the shop.

Difficult to believe but until recently there were prescribed quantities so butter had to be sold in 454g or 400g packs and bread in 400g or 800g loaves. Of course this was got rid of in the name of free trade and now we have thr insanity of ever decreasing pack sizes. The water in meat situation is now so extreme a grilled pork chop leaves a puddle in the grill pan
Presumably the water is needed as part of the production process. This is literally the supermarkets saying, " let them eat water"...

Difficult to believe but until recently there were prescribed quantities so butter had to be sold in 454g or 400g packs and bread in 400g or 800g loaves. Of course this was got rid of in the name of free trade and now we have thr insanity of ever decreasing pack sizes. The water in meat situation is now so extreme a grilled pork chop leaves a puddle in the grill pan
Presumably the water is needed as part of the production process. This is literally the supermarkets saying, " let them eat water"...

Nope

I always do this too - think I've always carried out those mental calculations as you can't trust the buggers otherwise. I can more or less read the small print if I take my glasses off in the shop.

I hate it when the per unit prices are in different units so you can’t compare E.g. jars of Helman‘s are in mg whereas the squeezy bottles and in ml. I suspect the squeezy bottles are more expensive but it’s hard to tell.

The language in this article is really weird:

'Consumers increasingly claim that manufacturers are reducing the size of products, Barclays research finds.
Hard-pressed consumers feel they are becoming the victims of food industry “shrinkflation”'
[my emphasis]

I understand from someone who works in FMCG that carling is actually less than 4% but the cans state 4.1% - something to do with less duty. Probably bullshit as the person who says that is a bit creative with facts somehow

Back
Top Bottom