Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tamworth Byelection 2022 Watch

Whilst I'm delighted the tories got kicked out, if you look at the numbers of votes, it's not particularly heart-warming.

The tories lost 20,000 votes, but labour only won 1,000 more than they got in 2019. So 19,000 tories abstained. If just a couple of thousand of those decide at a GE that they don't want Starmer, and it's a tory seat again.

The tories are pissing off their own voters, but Labour aren't winning those voters over.

Whilst I'm delighted the tories got kicked out, if you look at the numbers of votes, it's not particularly heart-warming.

The tories lost 20,000 votes, but labour only won 1,000 more than they got in 2019. So 19,000 tories abstained. If just a couple of thousand of those decide at a GE that they don't want Starmer, and it's a tory seat again.

The tories are pissing off their own voters, but Labour aren't winning those voters over.

That's just low byelection turnout that always happens though - turnout and the Labour vote would be higher in a general election. They're not wrong to claim it's a big victory for them tbh. I'd agree it's not heart-warming though given the current state of them.

Back
Top Bottom