Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tamworth Byelection 2022 Watch

i'm not a lawyer or journalist, but don't think that 'someone told me this happened' is a complete defence against a libel action.
no, but papers make calls to run stories which could place them in legal jeopardy based on things that someone told someone told them every single day. about footballers.

Pincher won't be investigated by parliamentary watchdog!
Stuck behind paywall.

Let's smash that paywall - archive.ph

It has now emerged that the ICGS has dismissed the victim’s complaint against Pincher because the alleged incident did not occur on the parliamentary estate. Sources familiar with the case claim that the watchdog, set up in the wake of #MeToo movement, carried out an initial assessment of the complaint and threw it out for being “out of scope”.

The complainant has been told that because the incident did not happen on the parliamentary estate, it is not within their remit. They are currently appealing against the decision,” a source said.

The decision has provoked a backlash against the ICGS, which one official has described as “not fit for purpose.”

In that case, surely it's a matter for the police?

From today's Guardian

Inquiry launched into whether MP broke Commons rules by ‘causing significant damage’ to its reputation

Aubrey Allegretti Political correspondent
@breeallegretti
Mon 24 Oct 2022 09.46 EDT
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via Email
Chris Pincher, the MP at the centre of a scandal that led to Boris Johnson’s downfall as prime minister, is facing a new investigation by parliament’s sleaze watchdog.

It emerged on Monday that an inquiry had been launched into whether the former deputy chief whip broke House of Commons rules by “causing significant damage” to its reputation.

It will be among the last major investigations overseen by the standards commissioner, Kathryn Stone, who is stepping down in January to be replaced by Daniel Greenberg.

If she finds against Pincher, the commissioner could suggest a suitable punishment, which could range from a forced apology to suspension from parliament. The standards committee would then either change or approve the suggested sanction before all MPs vote on it.

If a suspension of more than 10 days is passed, a recall petition will be triggered, which if signed by 10% of constituents would lead to a byelection in Pincher’s seat in Tamworth, Staffordshire.

Pincher resigned at the end of June 2022 after he was accused of drunkenly groping two men at a private members’ club, and reported by several MPs who witnessed the incident. In a statement afterwards, the MP said he “drank far too much” and “embarrassed myself”, adding he would seek professional medical support. He has kept a low profile since July, when he was stripped of the Conservative whip.

The episode proved the fatal blow for Johnson’s administration, after he and No 10 had repeatedly said repeatedly he was not aware of “any allegations” against Pincher before the then prime minister promoted him in February 2022. It later emerged, however, that an official complaint had been made against Pincher in a previous ministerial post that Johnson was directly informed about at the time, prompting accusations of a cover-up.

Following a barrage of other claims about Johnson misleading his colleagues and the public, MPs decided enough was enough and triggered a wave of resignations that forced him to quit, bringing down the government in July.

Pincher was investigated by the Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme (ICGS) over the summer. However, it is believed to have rejected at least one referral made to it for an investigation.

Normally, the standards commissioner would wait before other investigations into an individual have been completed before commencing her own. The scheme does not comment on whether any cases are active, but Stone’s announcement suggests the ICGS complaint route has been exhausted.

Just breaking on sky news that Chris pincher could face significant suspension from the house so by election incoming soon

There is also one problem here for the Tories on this another Tory mp I
Has been chosen to stand in tamworth at the next election due to boundary changes?

Tory mp for Walsall south Eddie Hughes is moving seats to contest tamworth so could see another by election in Walsall too

Just breaking on sky news that Chris pincher could face significant suspension from the house so by election incoming soon

There is also one problem here for the Tories on this another Tory mp I
Has been chosen to stand in tamworth at the next election due to boundary changes?

Tory mp for Walsall south Eddie Hughes is moving seats to contest tamworth so could see another by election in Walsall too
Heard about this on another forum I visit.

If the suspension is over 10 days that triggers the Recall process.
But given certain circumstances I wouldn't be surprised if he just walks, a la Boris.

Heard about this on another forum I visit.

If the suspension is over 10 days that triggers the Recall process.
But given certain circumstances I wouldn't be surprised if he just walks, a la Boris.
If does walk etc and by election is called is gonna get messy as I said in my post due to the fact that a toru mp is switching at the general election

"The breach we are considering is solely whether Mr Pincher has caused significant damage to the reputation and integrity of the House as a whole, or of its Members generally. The perception that MPs can engage in such conduct with impunity does significantly impact public perception of the House and its Members. We therefore recommend that Mr Pincher be suspended from the service of the House for 8 weeks."

"The breach we are considering is solely whether Mr Pincher has caused significant damage to the reputation and integrity of the House as a whole, or of its Members generally. The perception that MPs can engage in such conduct with impunity does significantly impact public perception of the House and its Members. We therefore recommend that Mr Pincher be suspended from the service of the House for 8 weeks."
not enough to trigger a recall vote then?

"A conviction for providing false or misleading expenses claims" :rolleyes:

So ok to make them as long as they don't prosecute you - which they never fucking seem to.

A word on timing from another forum

Under the Code of Conduct, Pincher has up to ten working days to appeal against either the decision that he broke the Code, or the level of sanction. That means the motion to agree the suspension recommended in the report can't be moved until the time for appeal has expired (or Pincher waives his appeal or ceases to be an MP).

The date of the Summer Recess hasn't been announced yet. If it's set on 20 July that would mean the motion would have to wait until the September session (with consequent delays for the recall petition).

Jon Craig on Sky News has been told that the Tamworth by election is the same day as mid bedfordshire

Statement of Persons Nominated

Robert Bilcliff (UKIP)
Andy Cooper (Conservative)
Ian Stuart Cooper (Reform UK)
Sarah Siena Edwards (Labour)
Howling Laud Hope (Official Monster Raving Loony Party)
Sue Howarth (Green)
Peter George Longman (no ballot paper descripton)
Ashlea Simon (Britain First)
Sunny Virk (Liberal Democrats)

Cross posting.

Labour - 11,719 (45.8%)
Conservative - 10,403 (40.7%)
Reform UK - 1,373 (5.4%)
Britain First - 580 (2.3%)
UKIP - 436 (1.7%)
Green - 417 (1.6%)
Lib Dem - 417 (1.6%)
OMRLP - 155 (0.6%)
No Description - 86 (0.3%)