Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shrinkflation watch

Shrinkflation is real and it's an utter cunt's trick. Why the fuck can't they just increase the prices?

If I were in charge, I'd also ban the practice of pumping up meat with water to increase its weight. Most of that water evaporates during cooking, its a practice that I would argue is entirely fraudulent.

Standard (sold singly) Mars bar weighs 53g. Big “sharing” bag Doritos 173g (170g net).

Someone check these in a few years time?

Has anyone got a tube of Pringles they can weigh? That feels like one they might shrink surreptitiously.

Ovaltine Original 400g -> 300g
Some things you need to work a bit harder to source. The original one has almost disappeared around here anyway replaced by the stupid ‘light’ version which is supposed to be with water not milk which is just wrong of course so in the end I found them online in 800g tubs. Can’t remember where now but I have two.

If I were in charge, I'd also ban the practice of pumping up meat with water to increase its weight. Most of that water evaporates during cooking, its a practice that I would argue is entirely fraudulent.

Pretty sure there are regulations on what percentage of meat can be added water. Equally sure these regulations will be shredded in a frenzy of post-brexit 'don't tell us what to do' freedom-enhancing common sense, if they haven't been already.

Shrinkflation is real and it's an utter cunt's trick. Why the fuck can't they just increase the prices?

There's a "dollar store" that sells 12 ounces of hamburger for $1.25. If you look at the label is says "22% water added". I've seen the cooked product and it appears to be white when cooked. I suspect when all is said and done its less than 6 oz of actual beef. Even when I was eating meat, I don't think I could eat that.

There's a "dollar store" that sells 12 ounces of hamburger for $1.25. If you look at the label is says "22% water added". I've seen the cooked product and it appears to be white when cooked. I suspect when all is said and done its less than 6 oz of actual beef. Even when I was eating meat, I don't think I could eat that.
Yeah, because they're not going to be bulking up quality meat in this way, so chances are that, even without the water, the meat is likely to be fairly low-quality.

Yeah, because they're not going to be bulking up quality meat in this way, so chances are that, even without the water, the meat is likely to be fairly low-quality.

I think that it's not really that great of a deal either. If you look around, you can find 16 oz of ground beef for $2.99. A pound of this stuff works out to a higher price once you figure in added water and fillers. The reason they can get away with it is that a lot of dollar stores are concentrated in poor neighborhoods, without standard grocery stores. They have a captive audience for this shit.

I've eaten cheap burger patties, but none that were white when cooked. Those things sound like they are all ligament and no muscle. Are you sure they didn't have chicken blended in with them? It's a common thing over here for really cheap processed meats like hot dogs to be a mixture of chicken and pork.

I've eaten cheap burger patties, but none that were white when cooked. Those things sound like they are all ligament and no muscle. Are you sure they didn't have chicken blended in with them? It's a common thing over here for really cheap processed meats like hot dogs to be a micture of chicken and pork.

I thought it might have soy protein mixed in. That's been a pretty standard filler here since the 70s.

Half a loaf of bread for £2. I don't mind the smaller size, suits meet tbh, but the idea a loaf of mass produced bread is £4 can't be right.

Things looks bigger when you are a child. Tapes / cassettes look tiny to me now, used to feel a lot bigger
Or maybe you're just wrong.
A lot of people think Waggon Wheels have got smaller over the years, but it does seem to be just a mass delusion.

Half a loaf of bread for £2. I don't mind the smaller size, suits meet tbh, but the idea a loaf of mass produced bread is £4 can't be right.
I remember during the bean wars that bread was roughly 10-20p. 50p would get you some mad fancy truffle and gold encrusted rye.

I remember during the bean wars that bread was roughly 10-20p. 50p would get you some mad fancy truffle and gold encrusted rye.
i was thinking about the bean wars the other day when there was that story about tesco not getting its heinz beans as they didnt want to sell them at over £1 (ive seen heinz beans for £1.20)....literally 3p a can in what, kwik save was it? madness...but could do with a bit of that madness now

i was thinking about the bean wars the other day when there was that story about tesco not getting its heinz beans as they didnt want to sell them at over £1 (ive seen heinz beans for £1.20)....literally 3p a can in what, kwik save was it? madness...but could do with a bit of that madness now
It was better than that, they were even free for a short while. Limited to four cans at a time.

Picked up a silicone sealant tube yesterday and looked up inside, the plunger plate is already half way up the fucking tube; scamsters

Do you have day old bread outlets there? It used to be that you could go to one and load up on a couple dozen loaves for $2. (Yeah, I'm old, ok?)

You should see the size of the apples I had delivered last week :snarl:

It wasn't a good year for most apple growers here either. I got a good crop of Starlights, but the Granny Smiths were a bust. This weekend I made my yearly trip to Arbor Day Farms, which specializes in conserving apple varieties and their apples were small and they only had a couple of varieties for sale. We've had a drought here, but I didn't think it was affecting the apple crop as much.

Back
Top Bottom