Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should there be a second referendum? New question.

Should there be a second referendum?

• No. I'm a remainer.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • No. I'm a leaver.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Yes. I'm a remainer.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Yes. I'm a leaver.

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
There is zero chance of this happening though. None whatsoever. You might as well wish for parliament to convert to anarcho-syndicalism, or vote to execute the queen.

So what are you going to "do" with this insight? Are you a May deal advocate or a crash out enthusiast?;

dont think it will happen by design - but if they cant agree on anything it becomes a choice between "no deal" and "press the big red stop button"
Exactly. It may appear impossible now, but come March things may very well look different. No deal can't happen - they have about 10 weeks left to make something else happen instead.

i mean - what is going to be on the ballot? Would they seriously have "no deal" as an option? Seeing as it will never be allowed to happen.

May's dismal surrender vs remain would be (rightly) seen as a totally rigged exercise.

"Go back and get a better deal" vs "remain?" sounds like a reasonable option - but how do you define "better"?

The "peoples vote" crew seem to think its a simple case of rerunning the last one to get the "correct" result - but they do not seem to put any thought into what the question should be

Absolutely this.

It's a handy way of being able to work out that the people who ran the remain campaign so well haven't gone anywhere, though.

as aside from everyone who ran the leave campaign

well aside from Boris he is doing tour promoting the idea of opportunity in uncertainty

so fuck the result you can make money from it

Perhaps if they lower the voting age to 16 and allow lots of other people to vote who couldn't last time.
I'm sceptical that we could get a healthy vote for remaining.

I want an avalanche of MPs of all parties to come out and admit that the first referendum was a farce - and basically admit that they all fucked up by allowing it to be held and thereby call the whole thing off.

I think there should be a second referendum -in about twenty years .

Might be sooner if we go out on no deal.
Separate referendums for the Welsh, Scottish and English republics. Fortunately, none will be necessary in the Six Counties. For an obvious reason.

i mean - what is going to be on the ballot? Would they seriously have "no deal" as an option? Seeing as it will never be allowed to happen.

May's dismal surrender vs remain would be (rightly) seen as a totally rigged exercise.
Up above, though, you were arguing for Parliament to just call the whole thing off!

Thing is that there are limited options now, and both of the realistic ones (referendum/Norway) will be seen a a fit-up by at least half of all leavers. I'm not saying it's a non-issue, but I don't see how it can be helped.

LeaveEU was convicted of breaking electoral law and fined £70 000 in May 2018. I'm sure you must have known that. :facepalm:

Legally, that doesn't in any way invalidate the result of the referendum, and politically we have since had a GE at which both main parties said they accepted the result of the referendum and were committed to leaving.

I would hope you would have known that, but perhaps it's slipped your mind...

Separate referendums for the Welsh, Scottish and English republics. Fortunately, none will be necessary in the Six Counties. For an obvious reason.

Maybe if there's a no-deal crash-out - "England" will revert to Wessex and Mercia, or is that going back too far even for brexit enthusiasts?

Legally, that doesn't in any way invalidate the result of the referendum, and politically we have since had a GE at which both main parties said they accepted the result of the referendum and were committed to leaving.

I would hope you would have known that, but perhaps it's slipped your mind...

It hasn't slipped my mind. What seems to have slipped yours is the GE was 11 months BEFORE (not "since") LeaveEU's flagrant cheating got exposed in court.

Up above, though, you were arguing for Parliament to just call the whole thing off!

Thing is that there are limited options now, and both of the realistic ones (referendum/Norway) will be seen a a fit-up by at least half of all leavers. I'm not saying it's a non-issue, but I don't see how it can be helped.

I was arguing that would be less destructive and toxic then another referendum. Its a simple, upfront honest rejection of the democratic mandate of the referendum - rather than then a complex, disingenuous one.

It hasn't slipped my mind. What seems to have slipped yours is the GE was 11 months BEFORE (not "since") LeaveEU's flagrant cheating got exposed in court.
Court? Convicted? Are you sure you're as clued up about the electoral commissions fining of the official leave campaign - or their fining of a range of remain campaigns - as you claim? You've totally confused a whole number of cases and processes here.

As for politically, well if the idea is substantially abroad among remainers - those guiding the ongoing campaign most crucially - that the official leave campaign had a damn thing to do with the Leave vote then they are truly setting themselves up for another defeat if there is second vote.

Last edited:
LeaveEU was convicted of breaking electoral law and fined £70 000 in May 2018. I'm sure you must have known that. :facepalm:

Leave EU were not "convicted in court", they were fined by the electoral commission. And more importantly, just because the state designated Leave EU as the official leave campaign, doesn't mean that whether leaving the EU is implemented or not should depend on their conduct. The vote wasn't an endorsement of the official campaigns. And at least most of the establishment seem to appreciate how most leave voters would react to them simply cancelling the referendum result on obviously spurious grounds.

Back
Top Bottom