Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should the fox hunting ban be lifted?

Should the fox hunting ban be lifted?

• Total voters
Like religion, I think it's handy for these things to exist so we know who to avoid having anything to do with.

Of course they wouldn't cease to exist. People whould still keep them. I'd argue that a life of misery is not worth that life anyway.

I doubt many farmers would keep pigs, cattle or geese chickens etc if no one was buying the meat.

Anyway I'm not suggesting people stop eating meat. I do fwiw. I'm suggesting that getting outraged about fox hunting whilst eating factory farmed meat is hypocrisy.

I reckon there are about 1.2 billion people in India, so more like 67%
They're also unevenly spread. There is a strong culture of vegetarianism in India with whole communities that are veggie. Silly to quibble over that. 500 million veggies is a hell of a lot - that's the equivalent of the entire population of the EU.

no, thats not quite the case.

there is, in the tory parliamentary party, overwhelming support for some form of EVEL. however, there is within that a minority view that the govt should be both careful how its framed and seek a cross party - including the SNP - solution to EVEL. this minority groups view, which has adherents at the top end of the tory government, derives a great deal of its power/influence from the previous, but longstanding SNP position whereby the SNP did not vote in E/W matters that are devolved in Scotland.

now that position - a very principled view in my opinion - has been cast aside the minority, though powerful one, arguing for a much more considered concensus policy which takes into account the SG's concerns on a number of 'crossover' issues, has lost a great deal of its influence. the EVEL bill that goes through will therefore be a harsher, more black-and-white act which the SNP will like less than the one that might othewise have been achieved.

for nothing.

if you truly believe this tosh then you're as wrong as you are on your support of fox hunting, i.e. totally.

I doubt many farmers would keep pigs, cattle or geese chickens etc if no one was buying the meat.

Plenty of people keep animals of no practical use. They also keep things like old cars and. steam traction engines which cost plenty to maintain for no reason other then the love of it.

India also has the world's largest hunger alleviation program - the midday meal scheme - that feeds 120 million children daily and its almost 100% vegetarian (and about 99% vegan). Its the cheapest and most environmentally sustainable way to provide adequate nutrition to impoverished children. It makes me sigh when I hear people in the west saying that cannot afford to eat a vegetarian diet or that such a diet cannot meet their nutritional needs. Excuses, excuses...

...you're as wrong as you are on your support of fox hunting, i.e. totally.

could you be a dear and quote the post i've made on any thread where i've indicated any particularly favourable view about foxhunting with dogs?

i'm getting old you see, and i forget - i can only think about one issue at a time these days, and the constitutional stuff has driven the other stuff from my mind...

could you be a dear and quote the post i've made on any thread where i've indicated any particularly favourable view about foxhunting with dogs?

i'm getting old you see, and i forget - i can only think about one issue at a time these days, and the constitutional stuff has driven the other stuff from my mind...

Sorry, must be getting old too, please can you be a dear and quote the post I've made on any thread where I've indicated that you have any particularly favourable view about foxhunting with dogs?

I can, however quote a post where you offer a favourable view to hunting foxes:

FOX.PNG

Sorry, must be getting old too, please can you be a dear and quote the post I've made on any thread where I've indicated that you have any particularly favourable view about foxhunting with dogs?...

the last one, the one i quoted - that you then quoted - about 15 minutes ago.

shooting fox with a rifle, almost exclusively before it knows i'm there, is very different to chasing it for 5 miles with a pack of dogs...

I never said I snacked on meat. Some people can't just eat twice a day. Others can manage on even less. People are weird like that, I'm one of those weirdoes. Can't help that I'm afraid. That'w why I said it's metabolic.
You said you couldn't be a veggie cos you needed to snack - metabolic as you say. This is nonsense

the last one, the one i quoted - that you then quoted - about 15 minutes ago.

shooting fox with a rifle, almost exclusively before it knows i'm there, is very different to chasing it for 5 miles with a pack of dogs...

Sorry, could you quote where I mentioned dogs? Go on, be a dear.

Of course they wouldn't cease to exist. People whould still keep them. I'd argue that a life of misery is not worth that life anyway.

Anyway I'm not suggesting people stop eating meat. I do fwiw. I'm suggesting that getting outraged about fox hunting whilst eating factory farmed meat is hypocrisy.
That's rather simplistic IMO.

So why support it then Orang Utan? Farm animals are innocent, vulnerable and pose no threat to us. Why have 100s of millions of them tortured and killed just for our pleasure and convenience?

because they taste nice.

that doesn't mean those who eat meat aren't directly(ish) responsible for who those animals live and die.

Yes they are
Not directly. The people who farm have the choice. They could choose different methods but they don't. They have freewill but they choose to use whatever methods they use.

Not every producer of meat engages in those kinds of practices either. So not everyone who buys meat is responsible for how that meat is manufactured.

I buy a lot of my clothing nowadays from Primark because they are really the only game in town unless you have lots of money. I'm not happy about the fact, I don't think they are Company of the Year either, but I am no more responsible for how they do business than the state of the high street that has seen other shops (i used to go to the Officers Club, which was a reasonably priced purveyor of reasonably decent clothing for instance).

Not directly. The people who farm have the choice. They could choose different methods but they don't. They have freewill but they choose to use whatever methods they use.

It's the difference between killing somebody with your bare hands and hiring a hit man to do it.

Aside of the vile and hideous cruelty involved in much of the production, the West should eat less meat for a whole load of reasons.
easier said than done.

i've looked at cheap cookbooks in the library because people always say - as they have in this thread - that food can be gotten and cooked cheaply. I have yet to see a recipe that was either affordable or didn't require a whole bunch of hard to get ingredients such as weird herbs and spices and assorted stuff.

If you have access to such stuff then all power to you. But I think it's a bit idealistic to assume everyone's in the same position.

Back
Top Bottom