Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should the fox hunting ban be lifted?

Should the fox hunting ban be lifted?

• Total voters
Some people, including me, hold the position where they have no problem whatever with the idea of killing animals in order to eat them, but at the same time would like those animals to be treated well when alive and killed in the best way possible.

Again, you're taking my argument out of context, it was specifically in response to a post about factory farming.

easier said than done.

i've looked at cheap cookbooks in the library because people always say - as they have in this thread - that food can be gotten and cooked cheaply. I have yet to see a recipe that was either affordable or didn't require a whole bunch of hard to get ingredients such as weird herbs and spices and assorted stuff.

If you have access to such stuff then all power to you. But I think it's a bit idealistic to assume everyone's in the same position.
So you're arguing that it's somehow harder for veggies to eat cheaply?

I don't believe I have to kill what I eat myself in order for meat eating to be justifiable.

I also don't agree with cruelty to animals in farming.

You're shifting the goal posts here. Originally you were arguing that the buck for animal suffering stops at the farmers and not the consumers. That is nonsense, if you buy a KFC bucket you know that the chickens were tortured, and you create the demand for it by buying it.

On a vegetarian diet you can snack on all sorts of things: nuts, seeds, rice cakes, bagels, chocolate, veggie sticks, crisps, hummus, avocado (technically a fruit I know...), you might want to try calorie-dense, low acidic fruits like bananas and dried fruits. Loads of options really :)

I was nodding in semi-agreement until you included rice cakes, or "taste-free cardboard substitute" as I like to think of them. :p

Not directly. The people who farm have the choice. They could choose different methods but they don't. They have freewill but they choose to use whatever methods they use.

Not every producer of meat engages in those kinds of practices either. So not everyone who buys meat is responsible for how that meat is manufactured...

no, meat is produced to a price that the consumer sets, the lower the price you're prepared to pay for your frozen chicken breasts the lower the welfare standards (roughly) the animal will live under.

there is a marketplace - literally - and you'll find producers who sell meat that has been well-cared for and has lived a decent quality of life, and you'll find producers who are selling a product that has been badly treated and who'se life has been a living hell. price is by no means the only - or an exact - indentifier, but taken as an average, and with other indicaters (source), its a reasonable benchmark.

Meat eating has been part of our culture for centurys if not everybody got to meat everyday everyone wanted to eat meat everyday hence factory farming.
Vegetarians and vegans have traditionally been seen as a bit odd hair shirt wearing weirdos claiming eating kfc = rape and serial killing isnt helping. the vegan who claimed a butchers shop reminded him of belsen really didnt help his cause:facepalm:.

People like eating meat they dont like being lectured on morality and diet by strange people they have nothing in common with:(

CAROB wtf is that all about its disgusting weird shit thats actually worse than not eating choclate why the fuck would you do that

Problem is, your real position - the stronger one that killing animals for food where there is an alternative is in all cases barbaric - leaks through your arguments.

And your position that it is okay to kill animals for food when there are alternatives is the life blood that factory farming rests upon, without it, it would collapse overnight. 'Humane' meat is part of the symbolic ideology that sustains the animal industrial complex.

So you're arguing that it's somehow harder for veggies to eat cheaply?
it depends what's available to you. If you have access to all sorts of food outlets, can join a collective, or wahtever, then great. If you don't you can't.

This is why i despite capitalism: people have limited resources and don't have muich choice. Blaming people for the cruelty of the animnal industry is no different than when people blame fat kids in low income families for obesity and use that to argue against benefits etc.

I'd be happy to give vegeterianism a go, but I wouldn't even know where to get started given what's available here.

You're shifting the goal posts here. Originally you were arguing that the buck for animal suffering stops at the farmers and not the consumers. That is nonsense, if you buy a KFC bucket you know that the chickens were tortured, and you create the demand for it by buying it.
But not all meat is farmed that way and not everyone buys from junk food meal outlets.

I said the direct responsibility for the welfare of the animal is down to the farmer. Directly. I'm not saying customers have no involvement at all. I used the word directly specifically.

This is quite the weakest excuse I've ever heard. Exactly where do you live? The Sahara?
Telling me it's a weak excuse doesn't actually explain anything. Exactly where I live is not something I'm going to divulge, but it's not a big city like London.

And your position that it is okay to kill animals for food when there are alternatives is the life blood that factory farming rests upon, without it, it would collapse overnight. 'Humane' meat is part of the symbolic ideology that sustains the animal industrial complex.

no, cheap meat is the founding principle of factory farming. meat produced to as low a price as possible.

here we go!
"you must not argue like that, you must put your point nicely so it is acceptable"
"how very dare you imply..."
"extremist!!" :mad:

I'd be happy to try a veggie diet, but i have no idea what to try. I'd be happy to have a discussion about it, but that's not what this thread is about.

no, cheap meat is the founding principle of factory farming. meat produced to as low a price as possible.

'killing animals for food' is the principle, after that its just a negotiation about the cost. How do you think that will pan out under the capitalist mode of production?

I'd be happy to try a veggie diet, but i have no idea what to try. I'd be happy to have a discussion about it, but that's not what this thread is about.
how about just jacket potatoes with baked beans and salad for starters?
loads of it, like 3 or 4 big potatoes

here we go!
"you must not argue like that, you must put your point nicely so it is acceptable"
"how very dare you imply..."
"extremist!!" :mad:

it is funny that advocating non-violence is often considered extremism, whereas slitting animals throats, throwing baby chicks in grinders, abducting baby calfs from their mothers etc. are all totally reasonable and cool.

'killing animals for food' is the principle, after that its just a negotiation about the cost. How do you think that will pan out under the capitalist mode of production?
And here you hit on the crux of it. If you want to improve animal welfare, you also need to look at improving human welfare. If you're making meat production more expensive, you have to think about what changes to society are needed to ensure that meat-eating does not once again become the preserve of the rich.

Eggs at a quid each, a whole chicken for maybe fifteen quid. The poor to make do with bones for a stock. That was more or less the situation before the industrialisation of farming.

But that's not really a discussion you can even begin to engage with.

how about just jacket potatoes with baked beans and salad for starters?
loads of it, like 3 or 4 big potatoes
for every meal?

I love jacket potatoes, but I despise Baked beans. Cannot stomach them. Cheese is the alternative, but that's dairy.

However one spud from the local convenience store costs around 70p. On top of that, whenever I eat them, i'm hungry again about an hour later, They are very high on the glycemic index and so i'll be worse off eating them.

Back
Top Bottom