Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shoplifting on the rise

Happy to use the manned desks or the scab tills; the cheese, marmite and razors are safely stashed long before we get near the tills.

On the razor, they make a nice beeping sound when you leave the store, why do some people stop in their tracks when they hear this? They then sheepishly head over to the security bod and ask him to look at what they have in their bags. Just carry on with a purposeful stride, unless they have seen you pockle the gear they'll leave you the fuck alone.
In our local M&S, the beep goes off if you have meat. A shrug and a point at the offending item and they just wave you off or ignore it completely.

This effectively means you only have to pay for the steaks; the chips/salad are free :cool:

Happy to use the manned desks or the scab tills; the cheese, marmite and razors are safely stashed long before we get near the tills.

On the razor, they make a nice beeping sound when you leave the store, why do some people stop in their tracks when they hear this? They then sheepishly head over to the security bod and ask him to look at what they have in their bags. Just carry on with a purposeful stride, unless they have seen you pockle the gear they'll leave you the fuck alone.

Maybe it's where I shop but the razor blades are usually locked away and you can't get them til you're checking out.

Maybe it's where I shop but the razor blades are usually locked away and you can't get them til you're checking out.

Here they come in a plastic case which is easy enough to break off with your boot once safely away from the store.

Superdrug here only has a cardboard sheet with pictures of the blade on, so I don't shop there.

We have a store that puts the razors (or whatever) in a bag with a lock on it. When you get to the till, someone will unlock the bag and watch you scan them.

Razor blades on display, no locks. Some places still have cigarettes on display, where you could, if so inclined, pocket them but they are getting rare.

That wasn't the discussion. It was about forcing you to scan your receipt before leaving. Which is a possibility in the future. I'm not getting into this again, considering what happened on this thread last night. If you want to argue the point, do it with someone else.
I was in Amsterdam last week and they actually do this to open the gates so you can leave

(haven't fully read the thread so apologies if it's been covered already)

Accidentally left the news on on the TV briefly the other day, and the BBC had a report about this accompanied by videos of masked gangs pushing staff aside to get behind the counter and steal loads of fags and booze. Don't know if any staff were hurt, but they were certainly grabbed, and it would have been a scary experience for them.

To me, and probably the courts, that's not the same crime as shoplifting.

Accidentally left the news on on the TV briefly the other day, and the BBC had a report about this accompanied by videos of masked gangs pushing staff aside to get behind the counter and steal loads of fags and booze. Don't know if any staff were hurt, but they were certainly grabbed, and it would have been a scary experience for them.

To me, and probably the courts, that's not the same crime as shoplifting.
that's a Robbery becasue of the use of or threat of violence

from a solely legal semantics point of view shoplifting is plain ordinary criminal theft

Also isn't there an option to get a receipt or not from the self service tills? I don't always get one.

There are times when you don't get a choice. Like when the machine runs out of paper. That doesn't sound like a good reason to me for trapping anyone like an animal!

Also isn't there an option to get a receipt or not from the self service tills? I don't always get one.

my nearest big sainsburys has these gates to get out of the self service tills area. i think the receipt stopped being optional when they went in, as i don't remember having the option recently.

although i prefer to use the staffed tills if i'm getting more than a couple of things, as the self service tills struggle to cope with one bag and find two bags beyond their comprehension.

i think 'trapped' is a bit of an overstatement - there's enough time to get through the gate with another person if you time it right, the gates are push-openeable in an emergency (although think they set off an alarm if anyone does) and if it doesn't give you a receipt, you could call for the (over-stretched) member of staff to do something about it.

it may be that they are set to go out of action if they run out of paper for receipts.

Julie, who has been running her gift store The Chocolate Box in Ravenhill for eight years, said the thief entered her shop on a Saturday afternoon, said "alright, love" then grabbed a hamper.

"Then [he] calmly walked out the front door, closed the door behind him and then ran. I was in shock that he could just do that just so easily."

Julie and her colleagues have put measures in place to protect items from being stolen, including tying certain items to the counter and not selling high-end products.

I always say no. They can do their own recycling; they give me enough unnecessary plastic and paper as it is.

I’ve not come across the ticketed gate scenario. I’d stop using that shop if I did.
There is a reason pilch, some of the supermarket car parks locally you need to scan the receipt and enter your reg number otherwise you’ll get a fine

So I now always take one out of habit

None of our tills work if they run out of receipt paper
That's a sensible approach. I have to have receipts for food I buy on work travels so I can claim it back, and quite a few times I've had to get staff in shops to go the back office and print a replacement when the till doesn't produce one.

35 years working in retail and i have seen all the dodges used by customers. its getting more violent and we are just told by management never tackle shoplifters anymore.Large gangs are the problem not the isolated thiefs.Done away with security guards years ago in my store and left the mob to it.Security checks on the staff all the time tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:
we were always told don't tackle shoplifters nearly 20 yrs ago and I got a (mild 'I have to do this') bollocking from a manager for chasing a lad who'd nicked a slab of beer off the shop floor across kingsthorpe high street. I wouldn't do it now, but then I was v young and felt like I was having the piss taken out of me personally, not the company, me.

That’s how the machine works.
Keeps working.

Gets you inside it, makes you into a cog, then you’re part of the mechanism that keeps things turning and churning.

Getting us to do our own scanning is another way to make us into cogs. Gotta the machine as self sustaining as possible.
But it’s all starting to creak at the seams a bit

Back
Top Bottom