Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shoplifting on the rise

that's my issue with 'victimless crime' bollocks. some guy/girl on average wage is being made to feel stupid, threatened and generally like shit every day - so there's your victim.
I've worked in retail for 20 yrs. Given the cost of living crisis (when has it not been a crisis for poor people?) if I see someone shoplifting, especially food, then no I didn't. I saw a young woman stealing toy figures once. I saw her, she saw me, then I smiled and carried on walking. If she wants to treat her kid or somebody else's, I think the shareholders will surivive.

Some colleagues are a bit sad, with so much effort in defending the profits of a company that regularly commits wage theft against its employees, including them. Abusive behaviour from customers towards staff is different, though. Your entitled middle class types can be the worst for that. It's not just the lads who look like they fell into the final reductions rack of a TK Maxx.

I almost accidentally shoplifted this evening

I bought a few things at Lidl, and its a store with no self service tills. So the till assistant scans all your items. One of the items I bought, the first to be scanned in fact, was a bottle of whisky, so the person working on the tills, who can’t have been much older than 18, had to remove the security tag. They obviously then forgot to scan it, handed the bottle to me and I bagged it.

It was only when they told me how much my shopping was - less than the cost of the whisky - that I realised what had happened. I took the bottle out of the bag and said I am sorry, I don’t think you’ve scanned it. I think they must have been quite new as I hadn’t seen them working there before and seemed a bit unsure of the tills. Anyway for a second they looked like theyd burst into tears, but they were ever so grateful, thanking me profusely and telling me I’d get good karma for what I did.

Not sure what would have happened to them if I’d walked out without paying for it - I certainly wouldn’t have done this deliberately as its the sort of integrity issue that could mean I lose my job - and I did wonder if the poor person on the tills could lose their job over it (seeing as they’re new).

It did make me wonder how often this happens when they need to remove a security tag

There's a Co-op near me where shoplifters regularly go in, fill their arms with bottles of booze and walk out without even trying to hide it. They used to have a security guard in there but no longer for some reason and apparently the shop staff have been told just to let them go, not even try and intervene.

When I was in the supermarket earlier someone didn't have the tag removed from the washing powder so it set off the alarm when they left the store.

They are putting security tags on washing powder now. That is pretty sad because that isn't something people would steal to sell it's because they need it and can't afford it :(

When I was in the supermarket earlier someone didn't have the tag removed from the washing powder so it set off the alarm when they left the store.

They are putting security tags on washing powder now. That is pretty sad because that isn't something people would steal to sell it's because they need it and can't afford it :(
I think washing powder has always been one of the most popular things people steal to sell - people always need it, doesn't go off, expensive for the size/weight.

There's a Co-op near me where shoplifters regularly go in, fill their arms with bottles of booze and walk out without even trying to hide it. They used to have a security guard in there but no longer for some reason and apparently the shop staff have been told just to let them go, not even try and intervene.

It all gets very ugly at my local co-op. The security guard there treats tackling shop lifters like big game hunting. He likes a tussle. It usually results in much shouting and swearing, pushing and pulling at the front door as customers are trying to come and go. It's not nice. He even gets aggressive if someone hasn't paid for a carrier bag. He's fairly fearless for an older gent, but he don't care. He's not letting that rib-eye go.

I almost accidentally shoplifted this evening

I bought a few things at Lidl, and its a store with no self service tills. So the till assistant scans all your items. One of the items I bought, the first to be scanned in fact, was a bottle of whisky, so the person working on the tills, who can’t have been much older than 18, had to remove the security tag. They obviously then forgot to scan it, handed the bottle to me and I bagged it.

It was only when they told me how much my shopping was - less than the cost of the whisky - that I realised what had happened. I took the bottle out of the bag and said I am sorry, I don’t think you’ve scanned it. I think they must have been quite new as I hadn’t seen them working there before and seemed a bit unsure of the tills. Anyway for a second they looked like theyd burst into tears, but they were ever so grateful, thanking me profusely and telling me I’d get good karma for what I did.

Not sure what would have happened to them if I’d walked out without paying for it - I certainly wouldn’t have done this deliberately as its the sort of integrity issue that could mean I lose my job - and I did wonder if the poor person on the tills could lose their job over it (seeing as they’re new).

It did make me wonder how often this happens when they need to remove a security tag
I accidentally shoplifted at Sainsbury couple of weeks back, Having gone through the scab tills I arrived back at the car and lifted the shopping bag into the boot to notice two items in the trolley that must have been hidden by the bag. Checked the receipt and they weren't on it. Debated whether to go back but decided that would probably be more hassle than it was worth.

I accidentally shoplifted at Sainsbury couple of weeks back, Having gone through the scab tills I arrived back at the car and lifted the shopping bag into the boot to notice two items in the trolley that must have been hidden by the bag. Checked the receipt and they weren't on it. Debated whether to go back but decided that would probably be more hassle than it was worth.
Well you steal from HMRC so may as well extend that to retail outlets now :thumbs:

my toddler is quite a handy little accidental shoplifter. once you're out the door and see they're eating an apple, it's too late...

In all fairness the big chain stores will hardly notice it. Sad when local businesses are targeted though.

The USA and UK where I am both have large numbers of people reliant on foodbanks, so it is what it is.

My schizophrenic cousin is getting done for steal a bottle of vodka daily during his last off med psychosis.

The key prosecution witnesses has been shown through social media to have been over 60miles away.

Waster, the waste, treated like waste, cared for as waste,, going down as waste before 25th bday, fuck your shop, fuck your perjuring witness, fuck your involuntary care order, fuck your we care for you/about you/ fuckk your petty rules that would shame you given the sam, fuck you wind up merchants making paranoids paranoiac

That's all

My schizophrenic cousin is getting done for steal a bottle of vodka daily during his last off med psychosis.

The key prosecution witnesses has been shown through social media to have been over 60miles away.

Waster, the waste, treated like waste, cared for as waste,, going down as waste before 25th bday, fuck your shop, fuck your perjuring witness, fuck your involuntary care order, fuck your we care for you/about you/ fuckk your petty rules that would shame you given the sam, fuck you wind up merchants making paranoids paranoiac

That's all

Busy cunts

I can never understand why some people put their lives in danger for a company that doesn't give a flying fuck about them.

I'm still learning this. A few years ago, I had a bloody nose so bad that I went to the ER. My blood pressure was so high that the nurse came in every 15 minutes and asked me my name and address to make sure I hadn't had a stroke. I'd been assigned a particularly difficult customer and spent weeks being screamed at by them. The doctor said the same thing with slightly fewer four-letter words.

Back
Top Bottom