Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shoplifting on the rise

Setting aside all the legitimate points about staff on minimum wages in the front line, paying customers not being able to get stuff they need etc, I reckon looting on a grand scale like this is inevitable, and has been coming down the pipeline for some time.

It just looks like the natural outcome of capitalism ripping people off.

They can only take the piss for so long before the mark loses their rag and lunges back at the bully.

Not saying it’s good, not supporting it, not advocating it, not excusing it.
Just saying it looks like a natural development to me.

I'm going to agree in part and disagree in part. If those in charge of the economy keep ratcheting down on the poorest elements of society, yes riots are inevitable. The upper classes keep squeezing more and more out of society for themselves, leaving most people casting about for ways to survive. Essentially what's going on is the creation of a permanent underclass. If this continues, there will be more and more riots. Already, the US has less social mobility than most of Europe.

In this particular case, it appears that it was prearranged by professional theft rings to create a riot and exploit the chaos to raid stores. In my estimation, this is both an organic riot and a created riot, as people who were already unhappy with the status quo joined the chaos. The riots that happened the second and third nights were more organic and happened further away from downtown shops.

Many people tell me that only large corporations are affected when this happens. I saw an interview with a lady who ran a small shop for hair extensions and haircare products. She had worked for years to fulfill her dream of owning a shop, working 6-7 days a week to make it happen, and it was raided the same as the corporate stores. She didn't know if she'd be able to reopen.

Last edited:
Your best bet for finding a copper at night is probably the local BP garage, when I lived by one they were always there when I went in late for a pint of milk - think a blue light uniform must get you a cheap coffee or similar.
Yes there is a 24 hour bp garage near me that always has coppers chatting to the staff late at night :hmm:

I'm going to agree in part and disagree in part. If those in charge of the economy keep ratcheting down on the poorest elements of society, yes riots are inevitable. The upper classes keep squeezing more and more out of society for themselves, leaving most people casting about for ways to survive. Essentially what's going on is the creation of a permanent underclass. If this continues, there will be more and more riots. Already, the US has less social mobility than most of Europe.

In this particular case, it appears that it was prearranged by professional theft rings to create a riot and exploit the chaos to raid stores. In my estimation, this is both an organic riot and a created riot, as people who were already unhappy with the status quo joined the chaos. The riots that happened the second and third nights were more organic and happened further away from downtown shops.

Many people tell me that only large corporations are affected when this happens. I saw an interview with a lady who ran a small shop for hair extensions and haircare products. She had worked for years to fulfill her dream of owning a shop, working 6-7 days a week to make it happen, and it was raided the same as the corporate stores. She didn't know if she'd be able to reopen.
Same as....
Totally not true.....many small shop holders are at their wits end with constant stealing, i know of people that will just close up if it carries on.

Contrary to the seeming popular view on here that it's people desperate for food to eat etc those people are a tiny minority where i work and if we realise that's the case we've usually paid for it for them......most of it is organised and going for high value stuff that can be sold (helped stop two lads who tried to get out with a trolley containg £1433 of spirits on Monday....later that night a group of 5 came in and took approx £400 of spirits......

and before the usual comments of why do i care, it's not my money, etc etc blah blah blah....it's not an ideal world and if, say where i work becomes unprofitable then a lot of peoples jobs are on the line......also can't get my head round that imo stealing is wrong, a lot of them just try it to see if they can

And i know people are going to go on about corporate greed and such like but it's also huge numbers of jobs

and before the usual comments of why do i care, it's not my money, etc etc blah blah blah....it's not an ideal world and if, say where i work becomes unprofitable then a lot of peoples jobs are on the line......also can't get my head round that imo stealing is wrong, a lot of them just try it to see if they can

My problem with it is that it makes public spaces feel unsafe. Why would I go to a public shopping area if I'll run the risk of being maced by a thief, shot, knocked over and killed, threatened with a pickaxe (or shot by a mass shooter, for that matter). It erodes the trust that society needs to function. Then, people shop with Amazon, which is the ultimate corporate entity.

Last edited:
£6 for 2 kitchen rolls! i never buy it, waste of money. not at home enough to get through toilet roll either, a 9 pack lasts about 6 months

Opera Snapshot_2023-10-05_083811_ichef.bbci.co.uk.png

At first I thought the three lads loading the car were doing their shopping and the second lot that came rushing up to grab them were a bunch of muggers. It wasn't until the guy with the dog and the woman with the blue dress came meandering up that I realised the thiefs were the guy in the car.
Were all (or indeed any of) those getting stuck undercover Plod though? it just looked like a bunch of the locals had decided to pile in.

At first I thought the three lads loading the car were doing their shopping and the second lot that came rushing up to grab them were a bunch of muggers. It wasn't until the guy with the dog and the woman with the blue dress came meandering up that I realised the thiefs were the guy in the car.
Were all (or indeed any of) those getting stuck undercover Plod though? it just looked like a bunch of the locals had decided to pile in.
This what I don't get. The tweet implies undercover cops.

But unless I missed it they don't identify themselves as such, don't show any ID and don't seem to have handcuffs. All of which I'd expect cops, even undercover to do.

I noticed the sainsburys near me has put up new barriers by the exit so you are forced to walk through a small gap in the middle. I guess to make it easier for the security guard to watch people leaving the store. They haven't done the scan receipt thing yet unless they are going to install a gate in the gap later.

This what I don't get. The tweet implies undercover cops.

But unless I missed it they don't identify themselves as such, don't show any ID and don't seem to have handcuffs. All of which I'd expect cops, even undercover to do.
Agreed and I would expect cops to be a bit more efficient at getting them out the car. Surprised they were so bothered to intervene though.

That's why I wonder if it is security payed by the shop?
Apparently they were a team from TM-Eye, a private investigating force of former police detectives...
They were attending a training session not employed by store I believe..
They then waited 30 minutes for police to arrive..

Apparently they were a team from TM-Eye, a private investigating force of former police detectives...
They were attending a training session not employed by store I believe..
They then waited 30 minutes for police to arrive..

Literally Rent-A-Cops then.

is that the real price of butter? i cant believe etc if it is
another thing i dont buy
I certainly wouldn't pay that price - but yes in some stores..
The butter company raised the price of its products to ensure that dairy farmers get a "fair deal", according to the BBC. In a announcement, Lurpak's owner, Arla Foods, disclosed that dairy farmers have been losing money as a result of rising fertiliser and fuel prices.2 Feb 2023

Back
Top Bottom