Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shameless, fawning, Alexandra O Cortez fan thread

bumped because of this report in the Guardian:

I do love how they state she was the one breaking the truce whilst also saying (in smaller print) that she was responding to attacks from "moderates". She isn't wrong with any of what she says, either.

very late to the AOC / Squad phenomenon other than in passing
anyhow watched this documentary
about the 2018 campaigns of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Amy Vilela, Cori Bush and Paula Jean Swearengin.... what they have in common is being working class nonprofessional political candidates having a go at getting elected via truly grassroots campaigns. Spoiler: AOC the only one of three to win, though, Cori Bush won on second attempt in 2020 - she's "official" :D (video cracks me up)

What makes the docu worth watching still i think is seeing the campaigns in action - inspiring.
As well as their own teams of people the documentary mentions supporting groups
and
....which I expect are vaguely equivalent to Momentum in the UK. Though as we don't have mandatory reselection in Labour I guess its a different dynamic.

Nonetheless, what comes across from the documentary is none of the four women featured see themselves as Democrats, rather as community representative standing on a Democrat ticket. Its good to see.

Aye, it's a really good documentary. Have never failed to cry at the end :oops: :D

Been wanting to host a screening for our union branch for aaaaaaaages, as, like you say, watching the grassroots organising and campaigning is really inspiring. One of my favourite scenes is where Ocasio-Cortez contrasts the work of an "organiser" and the work of a "strategist". To be honest, I would have loved them to make it a series and focus more on all of that, though understand why they did it the way they did.

As it happens, looks like we made progress on the screening this week and have a date in mind :cool:

I may have said it before, but I am interested to see how they maintain the ethos and focus of their movement and campaigns now that they're elected, with all the time away from their district and the pull of national issues (such as impeaching a President, twice :D). Certainly not a cynical "oh, they'll sell out" thing, a genuine interest in how they might overcome a real challenge that comes with going to where power is situated, at least in the current system.

Aye, it's a really good documentary. Have never failed to cry at the end :oops: :D
yes, i was quite moved at several points i have to say

I may have said it before, but I am interested to see how they maintain the ethos and focus of their movement and campaigns now that they're elected, with all the time away from their district and the pull of national issues (such as impeaching a President, twice :D). Certainly not a cynical "oh, they'll sell out" thing, a genuine interest in how they might overcome a real challenge that comes with going to where power is situated, at least in the current system.

I don't believe anyone is truly immune from the corrupting influence of Power, but within the existing systems all you can hope for is that elected figures are sufficiently principled and have enough good people close to them (including any wider movement) to help keep them on track. I expect a lot of longevity comes down to what foot you get off on at the start...

“Team AOC is launching relief efforts for Texas starting today,” Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted at 5.42pm on Thursday.

Four hours later, at 9.49pm, the Democratic congresswoman tweeted again: “Wow. We officially raised $1 million for Texas relief at 9:17pm. Thank you all so much. I’m at a loss for words. Always in awe of movement work.”

100% of this relief is going straight to Texan food assistance, homelessness relief, elder care, and more.

The astonishing fundraising effort comes after Texas was plunged into an energy and water crises triggered by a brutal cold snap and also demonstrates the growing influence of AOC over politics.

From the Independent today, but one of the rolling news items that seem to disappear.

1. It's got shitty sweeteners in it these days so that's mostly what it tastes like. 2. there is also a drink called colombiana from Colombia which basically irn bru.

"Gosar posted an anime video last week that depicted him killing Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and attacking President Joe Biden"

This sort of thing will be dismissed by the GOP cultists as harmless but make no mistake, there is absolute hatred for AOC (and Ilhan Omar, Rashid Tlaib etc). Genuinely concerned that one of these days someone will be inspired by the rhetoric out there and act upon it.

Is she fuck a fan of irn bru. If she was visiting a country where goat anus was the local weird delicacy she'd have chowed that down and pretended she loved it too. It's what politicians do.

There's one or two villages in the West Country where this comment would be deemed highly offensive.

Is she fuck a fan of irn bru. If she was visiting a country where goat anus was the local weird delicacy she'd have chowed that down and pretended she loved it too. It's what politicians do.

She's far from the first to compare Irn-Bru to Kola Champagne, going to try the latter drink if I go past the Latin American grocer today.

I don't really know anything about AOC but I'm going to dip my toe in.

Firstly - this is a parody thread, right?
Secondly - what are we parodying?

I checked her Twitter for mentions of Russia, Ukraine, NATO or Putin but basically nothing.

Foreign affairs not her strong point?

I checked her Twitter for mentions of Russia, Ukraine, NATO or Putin but basically nothing.

Foreign affairs not her strong point?

This seems clear enough to me:
Russia's invasion of Ukraine is indefensible. The U.S. is right to impose targeted sanctions on Putin & his oligarchs. We also must work with our allies to prepare for a refugee crisis on a massive scale. Finally, any military action must take place with Congressional approval.

Back
Top Bottom