Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shameless, fawning, Alexandra O Cortez fan thread

09f5c0a62d8c00ad6dc5e05c5f481580212468b7.jpg

This seems clear enough to me:

Thanks, don‘t know why that didn’t come up in my Twitter search. Seems a bit of a weird statement though (why mention approval for military action :confused:), but less inexplicable than her complete silence on the matter I’d thought was the case.

I still don't really know anything about AOC (despite suspecting that she gets revealed as the main villain in the third act), but that decision is really shit.

Officially Rubbish.

“Oligarchs should pay ... but this vote told POTUS to violate the 4th Amd & seize private property,” AOC wrote on Twitter.

Officially Rubbish.

it is a potentially dodgy precedent...obviously if there is criminality involved then seize, but what is the process by which people are being singled out? If it was criminal before the invasion, why wasn't there seizure then?
Ive no idea tbh (and obviously find it hard to care)

Officially Rubbish.

i'm not on the AOC bandwagon, as i've said above, but she's right about this.

I removed my previous post as the twitter thread from Taras Bilous that I was quoting was deleted. He has now posted this:

For those who don't read twitter:
I deleted thread on AOC vote against the seizure of assets of Russian oligarchs. When I wrote it, I didn't understand how her voting was connected with the struggle against the policy of civil forfeitures against the poor and minority.

I still disagree with her decision, but now I understand that it did not mean a lack of sympathy for Ukraine. I'm grateful to @AOC for voting for the lend-lease. Unlike the 10 Republicans who voted against.

I was wrong because I don't know the US political context well. And I would like the Western left to imagine how Ukrainians read what they wrote without understanding the Ukrainian context.

"For many years the government has used the policy of civil forfeitures against the poor and minority population. There's nothing wrong with seizing the criminal assets,but government has been carrying out forfeitures against people who have only been charged, but not convicted"

"The left generally have challenged this practice as contrary to the basic democratic principle of innocent until proven guilty"

"In December 2021 progressives pushed for hearings in the House of Representatives challenging the practice of taking the property of non-convicted people and AOC was one one of the leading voices in those hearings"

"So her vote was an attempt to remain consistent with her position that one needs to be proven guilty in a court of law before one can be punished or have one's property seized"

Once again: I still disagree with her decision. And I think it should be criticized. But not the way I did

Back
Top Bottom