Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand: rape and sexual abuse allegations, grifting and general dodginess - discussion

the current government seems to be occasionally intruding into running the country, which I guess comes as a shock nowadays.
With reference to covid...I seem to recall a then prominent member of this government running the length of the country once he had covid

it doesnt matter either way does it?
Not all that much, no. The main question is whether this is something The State is doing to try and eliminate a problem and which could become a regularised threat to media independence, or whether it's a non-systemic overreach, in this case by her and/or the committee.

I think it's probably the latter, mainly because the State

a) has better, more subtle levers if if wishes to pull that sort of crap rather than getting ministers to do an incompetent letter-writing campaign. Providing written evidence on headed and signed paper to people who will definitely go off about it ffs, that'd be amateur hour for us let alone "Them". It's Matt "here's my WhatsApps" Hancock levels of thick if you're actually trying to quietly suppress anything.​
b) Brand is about as threatening to the priorities of the State as Mr Blobby.​

Like I think it's worth telling the culprit/s off about, because it's very bad practice, but it's also important to put the brakes on before the point of indulging the wibblier end of things.

Last edited:
Good for Rumble. In the 'unlikely' event an MP faces sexual allegations in the future somehow I don't think they are going to be suspended without pay whilst the matter is resolved

Yeah they're great, going on about a 'cancel culture mob' ffs. What's next, cheering GBNews if they give Brand a platform as well?

The letter asked if he was able to make money off content related to the accusations, which might end up being charges. It's hardly a massive State overreach, I think being concerned he might start churning out content full of horrible shit and conspiracy bollocks about the case through which he makes hundreds of thousands of pounds is a fair question and something he shouldn't be able to do.

I mean I think it's complicated and a new area that hasn't been worked out yet.

They're not talking about him being banned. But should someone be able to make money from social media when they're posting stuff about ongoing charges they're facing?

It's not arbitary State pressure though is it? It's very specific to him.
At the moment. Now it's someone we all despise facing abhorrent charges. Next time?

I don't think anyone should make money from social media, I don't really give a flying fuck if they demonetized everyone tbh, we'd all be better off.

I can't summon up one gramme of concern for a sexual predator and likely rapist having this done to them, especially given the fact we're just talking about one letter asking about it, and it's not even a likely possibility.

Monetised social media is pretty much the worst possible amount of budget to throw at things. Enough to fill every available corner of the internet with entertainment, infotainment, commentainment and plausible-sounding grifts, not enough to fund serious investigative work. And with an algorithm that has no ethical direction to promote the latter over the former in any case. Disastrous.

I don't think things are very different to the 70s and 80s. The packaging has changed, but to point at the 70s with outrage misses the point and is a get-out-clause.

Very interesting post. Misogyny (or whatever) is misogyny whether it's then or now, even if it's expressed in different ways. But it's not just the packaging which changed between the 1970s and the 'oughts', it was also the 'reach', and the level of reward.

I saw a post (I think) which used the word mainstream about Bernard Manning. He was never mainstream. He was a successful club comedian. He was never a headliner on TV. He was one of many comedians on The Comedians and the compere introducing the acts on Wheelshutters etc. Those programmes were regional shows made by one of the ITV companies when it was still split up into different regional areas. There were a few national 'network' slots in the ITV schedule but those shows weren't in them. I remember they were shown here in London but I don't recall them being scheduled as the evenings highlight. And then his TV career ended. He never had a fraction of Morcambe & Wise levels of popularity and he never earned Morcambe & Wise money.

But then I very much doubt that Morcambe & Wise earned Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton money. The levels of potential reward at the upper levels had became significantly greater by the 'oughts'. So had the levels of 'reach', as illustrated by the extent to which the 'zoo' format of competitive edgy boundary pushing became normalised.

The point wasn't about confronting the audience with their own perceptions and to make them question their prejudices via the means of comedy, but it was about re-assuring people that racist views, exclusion and bullying don't need challenging, as long as you laugh with someone about their status in society. The fact that the acts were just that, acts, was side-lined. Both audience and act really laughed at something, laughed at people for being disadvantaged.

"Confronting the audience with their own perceptions and to make them question their prejudices" would be claimed as a purpose by comedians as different as Jerry Sadowitz, Frankie Boyle and Stewart Lee. Doubt there would be agreement about how far they were successful. Johnny Speight set out to do that when he created Alf Garnett and that was Warren Mitchell's purpose in playing the character. Three decades later the character had become part of the alibi some of Gen X told themselves about how much worse the 1970s were, as they laughed at Little Britain. Or at Jonathan Ross telling Gwyneth Paltrow he'd like to fuck her. It's not misogyny. She's a 'celebrity'. She's fair game. She's asking for it. And so on, and so on.

The letter isn't from the government, she is the backbench chair of a parliamentary committee.
Pretty thin distinction - she is a Tory MP - a member of the governing party - and parliamentary committees are essentially part of the mechanism of government
I don't think anyone should make money from social media, I don't really give a flying fuck if they demonetized everyone tbh, we'd all be better off.

I can't summon up one gramme of concern for a sexual predator and likely rapist having this done to them, especially given the fact we're just talking about one letter asking about it, and it's not even a likely possibility.
Well that's something else completely, if being able to claim a percentage of revenue from video content didn't exist then its a different conversation, but it does exist, and its not currently up to anyone in government to decide who can and can't be allowed to take part in that, just because they feel like putting pressure on.

And this is nothing to do with having sympathy for Russell Brand.. its a question of what is legitimate interaction between state, business and the public.

Most importantly for me its about the frightening rocket-fueled rise in conspiracism, and where that leads politically. The left are regularly ceding ground to the right over this - saying oh it doesnt matter, fuck Russel Brand anyway, plays in exactly to their narrative and gives power to those right-wing figures who can point to an injustice and use it to build their case. Not that unlike twenty years ago it was the left that was against globalisation, and now this is territory for some mutated 'anti-globalist' right

It's also important when talking about the "challenging comedy" crowd to bear in mind comics can be and are very mixed on what they're challenging, when, and why. The same person can be absolutely nailing it on one topic and a nasty bully, a bigot etc on another. Dave Chapelle is probably the most prominent recent example, but comedians have the same chaotic mix of views as the rest of the general public. Brand himself, I have no doubt, retains at least the vestiges of a genuine interest in equity for the working class (everyone needs to look themselves in the mirror of a morning), and will quite likely have really believed his own hype in his protest and left politics period, while at the same time still being a horrible misogynist.

Last edited:
saying it doesnt matter
It does matter, and that's why it's important to get the analysis correct. Unfortunately this frequently means we don't get to be "yes this is a State setup" when personally, as an anarchist, I'd fucking love to - but the logic simply don't stack right. I'd love to slam the government for conspiring to lock us down during Covid, but I can't because it makes no goddamn sense. The advantage the far right has in a post-truth world is they can rattle off any old bollocks just as they have always done, in an atmosphere that favours it.

Last edited:
It does matter, and that's why it's important to get the analysis correct. Unfortunately this frequently means we don't get to be "yes this is a State setup" when personally, as an anarchist, I'd fucking love to - but the logic simply don't stack right. I'd love to slam the government for conspiring to lock us down during Covid, but I can't because it makes no goddamn sense.
i agree - i dont think its a state set up to silence Brand because he's too close to the truth!!!1!! - but it is true to say that this is a Bad Thing to for a state body to be doing.

Pretty thin distinction - she is a Tory MP - a member of the governing party - and parliamentary committees are essentially part of the mechanism of government

Well that's something else completely, if being able to claim a percentage of revenue from video content didn't exist then its a different conversation, but it does exist, and its not currently up to anyone in government to decide who can and can't be allowed to take part in that, just because they feel like putting pressure on.

And this is nothing to do with having sympathy for Russell Brand.. its a question of what is legitimate interaction between state, business and the public.

Most importantly for me its about the frightening rocket-fueled rise in conspiracism, and where that leads politically. The left are regularly ceding ground to the right over this - saying oh it doesnt matter, fuck Russel Brand anyway, plays in exactly to their narrative and gives power to those right-wing figures who can point to an injustice and use it to build their case. Not that unlike twenty years ago it was the left that was against globalisation, and now this is territory for some mutated 'anti-globalist' right

I'd argue that anyone going on about this is actually strengthening the hand of the conspiracy mob and Brand, even if you think you're doing it for 'anarchist' reasons. Areas like this are not the places with which you can take on the conspiracy idiots, to try and do so is wrong footed imo, it doesn't challenge them, and much like the Assange defender lot, it's making a political error.

I'd argue that anyone going on about this is actually strengthening the hand of the conspiracy mob and Brand, even if you think you're doing it for 'anarchist' reasons. Areas like this are not the places with which you can take on the conspiracy idiots, to try and do so is wrong footed imo, it doesn't challenge them, and much like the Assange defender lot, it's making a political error.
I disagree. Not calling out state overreach because you dislike the person concerned is a political error.

I trisagree. You probably should call out State overreach but you need to be precise about it to avoid inadvertently leaning into the path of the grifters trying to take advantage, otherwise it's an error.

What Rob Ray said, you have to be precise and strong in your criticism, and that has to on some level come from a much more powerful movement than other criticisms do, or you risk it just strengthening you opponents.

We've just had someone on here cheering on Rumble ffs for their position against the cancel culture mob.

Not that unlike twenty years ago it was the left that was against globalisation, and now this is territory for some mutated 'anti-globalist' right

I think that's a good topic (although not for here) as I think the poor analysis of much of that movement that fetishised organisations such as the WTO and also had a fixation on finance capital actually laid some of the groundwork for the conspiracy movement we have today - and explains why some of that crowd so easily slipped into it.

Last edited:
Is it usual for the press in the UK to make serious legal allegation about rape and sexual assault from anonymous sauces?

I understand that people who have made reports to the police regarding sexual assault and rape are able to have anonymity in the press (but they have made a police report), I'm really just interested if the press are free to make such allegations from anonymous sauces and claim public interest in the UK. I don't think the press here in Brazil can do that, also in the USA the stories about Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey (found not guilty) and others had named accusers making the allegation in the stories exposing then.

I think I agree with you, it shouldn't be the government deciding this matter, but I do think demonetisation is the way forward with a case like Brand and should not be confused with censorship or silencing. It's taking away a privilege not a right.

I disagree. Not calling out state overreach because you dislike the person concerned is a political error.

Feel free to call a demo against the government and supporting Brand's freedom to make videos and make money off all this then, that's the result of the position you're defending.

Back
Top Bottom