Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rochdale by-election

It will be absolutely hilarious if the puffed-up charity shop Saddam is denied by a Labour postal vote operation which cranked out enough votes for a candidate they have since dropped.

It will keep Galloway and his deluded membership of a dozen oddballs in conspiracy theories for years- and critically will keep him out of parliament.

Either way the winner of this election will be a stone in Labour's shoe for the next six months.
Maybe he could get his supporters to storm the Capitol Rochdale Town Hall?

Maybe he could get his supporters to storm the Capitol Rochdale Town Hall?

Half a dozen assorted Maoists, Juche-ists and a guy with a copy of Gaddafi's Green Book being asked if they have an appointment by the elderly security guard, and being fobbed off with politeness. People crossing the road to avoid a bellowing Galloway and his megaphone outside. STOP THE COUNT

Half a dozen assorted Maoists, Juche-ists and a guy with a copy of Gaddafi's Green Book being asked if they have an appointment by the elderly security guard, and being fobbed off with politeness. People crossing the road to avoid a bellowing Galloway and his megaphone outside. STOP THE COUNT
I used to work in Rochdale Town Hall, it's a bit of a warren, Galloway's shock troops could struggle to find the seat of conspiratorial power.

In fact I worked in the Elections section for a month or so and earned a few bob over my wage as a poll clerk on election day. Would be nice to do that next week and actually be part of The Great Theft.

I used to work in Rochdale Town Hall, it's a bit of a warren, Galloway's shock troops could struggle to find the seat of conspiratorial power.

In fact I worked in the Elections section for a month or so and earned a few bob over my wage as a poll clerk on election day. Would be nice to do that next week and actually be part of The Great Theft.
I would be impressed if they could find the actual building or Rochdale for that matter.

Last edited:
Quotes from a Telegraph article on Galloway (he's spoken to their podcast)
"We want an overwhelming rejection of liberalism in Rochdale, which has brought such misery and disgrace upon the town. And the size of the majority will reflect that.

“My thoughts are that Labour once again brought disgrace upon Rochdale, and we’re ready to punish them.”

Explaining why he intends to retire from politics, he said: “I’m 69-years-old, and my youngest child is three. Well, I really do have obligations to others. Having said that, because it’s half term where they live, all my children are here with me in the campaign. But, no, five more years will do me finally.”

Mr Galloway said it is “probably” the case that Sir Keir Starmer will win the next general election as he described Rishi Sunak as a “hapless, hopeless Mr Bean”.

He said the Conservative party “should have stuck with [Boris] Johnson”, adding that this would “at least put them in [a] fighting position”.

Galloway fires the starting pistol on a long WPB leadership contest by the sounds of it.

Will he be succeeded by the fat MAGA hat wearer from Rhyl or the bus driver who got 19 votes in Helensburgh? Or will Joti Brar waft in from shadows and exile to impose a pitiless Juche-ist agenda and cult of personality?

Galloway fires the starting pistol on a long WPB leadership contest by the sounds of it.

Will he be succeeded by the fat MAGA hat wearer from Rhyl or the bus driver who got 19 votes in Helensburgh? Or will Joti Brar waft in from shadows and exile to impose a pitiless Juche-ist agenda and cult of personality?

Or maybe Phildwyer will throw his (MAGA) hat into the ring?

Galloway is the bookies’ favourite. His team has about 200 volunteers – including a core of 50 – who plan to make contact with each of Rochdale’s 79,000 voters three times before polling day.
once would be bad enough. but thrice? what has anyone done to deserve that?

Assuming the figure of 200 is accurate (and I wouldn't) that is an average of 1185 "contacts" each. With 5 days to go until voting that is 237 per day. At 8 hours a day that is about 30 each hour. I guess contact better not be more than stuffing a leaflet in a letterbox.

Assuming the figure of 200 is accurate (and I wouldn't) that is an average of 1185 "contacts" each. With 5 days to go until voting that is 237 per day. At 8 hours a day that is about 30 each hour. I guess contact better not be more than stuffing a leaflet in a letterbox.
I think it probably is accurate, they'll be that many out this weekend. But where do you get there being an electorate of 237,000 from? It was 80,000 at the last election. So 400 each, 80 a day, 10 an hour. And you usually get more than one elector in each household - overcrowding is rife in Rochdale. So it is actually plausible. I mean they won't do it, cos people will avoid them and there are some areas that will be way down the list of importance. But then, they have spoken to thousands already, so that reduces the number even more.

I think it probably is accurate, they'll be that many out this weekend. But where do you get there being an electorate of 237,000 from? It was 80,000 at the last election. So 400 each, 80 a day, 10 an hour. And you usually get more than one elector in each household - overcrowding is rife in Rochdale. So it is actually plausible. I mean they won't do it, cos people will avoid them and there are some areas that will be way down the list of importance. But then, they have spoken to thousands already, so that reduces the number even more.
The post I quoted said contact each one 3 times.

The Guardian should send Helen Pidd , their ‘northern correspondent , to Rochdale to patiently explain where it’s all going wrong and why Rochdale needs a branch of Waitrose.

The Guardian should send Helen Pidd , their ‘northern correspondent , to Rochdale to patiently explain where it’s all going wrong and why Rochdale needs a branch of Waitrose.

Is Rochdale 'The North' enough to have a Booths?

Ormskirk & Chorley would be the closest branches. I could imagine one in Littleborough.
I know there have been a few articles referring to Littleborough as posh but it's really nowhere near Booths level. It's an old mill town with some posh houses on the outskirts. My impression is that it's still predominantly working class really - loads of terraced housing and not really that gentrified in a Hebden type way. The other side of Rochdale (Norden etc) has always seemed richer to me.

I know there have been a few articles referring to Littleborough as posh but it's really nowhere near Booths level. It's an old mill town with some posh houses on the outskirts. My impression is that it's still predominantly working class really - loads of terraced housing and not really that gentrified in a Hebden type way. The other side of Rochdale (Norden etc) has always seemed richer to me.
I used to take the kids to Littleborough Lake

Back
Top Bottom