Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rochdale by-election

I know there have been a few articles referring to Littleborough as posh but it's really nowhere near Booths level. It's an old mill town with some posh houses on the outskirts. My impression is that it's still predominantly working class really - loads of terraced housing and not really that gentrified in a Hebden type way. The other side of Rochdale (Norden etc) has always seemed richer to me.
Yep to all of that. Norden (much of it anyway) and Bamford are very posh. However, part of Norden is now in with Heywood and Middleton next door (I think I, wrongly, said both Norden and Bamford had been moved out upthread).

Pondering on just how unlucky Rochdale has been with its MPs - Danczuk, Cyril Smith, and quite probably Galloway, I suddenly remember another one - the vile Blairite Lorna Fitzsimmons. Who has disappeared without trace, no doubt into cushy boardroom positions.
The Liberal, Paul Rowen, was an arsehole as well. When I worked for the council in the committee's section he had a reputation for being a twat towards staff. Not surprisingly, Smith was an absolute shit towards 'pen pushers' and the like, always positioning himself against the 'town hall bureaucrats'. That of course wasn't his biggest problem.

I don't think that piece has it right about this being the most toxic by election in living history. Galloway' v Oona King and also his Bradford victory were far more toxic. However, this one only fails to top the list because he hasn't really got a Labour opponent.

Do you really think that these images are from Azhar Ali? His track record within Labour is that he is very much a mainstream leader supporter.
Hadn't given it any thought until you asked, tbh. Is your guess that they're most likely to be from an enthusiastic amateur or what? The article cites Michael Crick as reckoning that he's campaigning along those lines, but the link just goes to a tweet with one of the images. Suppose that's one of the things about stuff that circulates on WhatsApp or wherever, once it gets into circulation there's no way of saying whether it's made by the official campaign with plausible deniability, or by an independent supporter, or even by someone completely different with a different agenda.

Fwiw, in the unlikely event that Ali were to ask me for advice, I would probably tell him that the route to success that goes through loyalty to Starmer appears to be closed off for him, and so his most realistic prospect for career advancement is to position himself as an anti-Starmer figure along those lines, but then it is very very unlikely that Ali would be asking me for advice, so who knows?

Hadn't given it any thought until you asked, tbh. Is your guess that they're most likely to be from an enthusiastic amateur or what? The article cites Michael Crick as reckoning that he's campaigning along those lines, but the link just goes to a tweet with one of the images. Suppose that's one of the things about stuff that circulates on WhatsApp or wherever, once it gets into circulation there's no way of saying whether it's made by the official campaign with plausible deniability, or by an independent supporter, or even by someone completely different with a different agenda.

Fwiw, in the unlikely event that Ali were to ask me for advice, I would probably tell him that the route to success that goes through loyalty to Starmer appears to be closed off for him, and so his most realistic prospect for career advancement is to position himself as an anti-Starmer figure along those lines, but then it is very very unlikely that Ali would be asking me for advice, so who knows?
Either a simple 'I'm really the Lab candidate ' or 'I'm really the Lab candidate but support the Palestinians' are his choices, I'd have thought. His real problem is he'll have lost all of his campaigning structure/support. From having the opportunity to knock on thousands of doors and deliver tens if thousands of further leaflets, he's now a random on social media. His moment of conspiraloonery wasn't great though (perhaps) understandable given the stuff swirling around at the time. But of course, this fuck up is entirely a consequence of the thing starmer has made the Labour Party

Another twist in the ongoing saga

Rochdale by-election candidate Simon Danczuk 'received death threats'

A candidate in the upcoming Rochdale by-election has received death threats from a resident, Reform UK has claimed. In a letter to Greater Manchester Police's chief constable, the party said Simon Danczuk had received death threats in writing and in a video posted to his campaign page. Reform UK tweeted a video to its X account in which a person holding what appears to be a campaign leaflet used profanities and implied they would shoot Mr Danczuk.

BA'ATHIST GAIN from Labour looks almost inevitable now. Only the postals can save the not-Labour candidate. Suspect turnout will be in the high teens / low twenties; a few opinion pieces have suggested many aren't bothering, as they know here will be another election in six months anyway, and don't want to dignify this circus.

A problem for Reform is that they have talked up their candidate and underestimated the toxicity and revulsion at what ended his political career with Labour. If they trail in a pisspoor fourth then that will be damaging for Richard Tice, a man who looks like he's playing the part of a hard nosed business tycoon in a low-rent Thames TV drama from the early 80s. I wonder if a pisspoor result might animate Farage into taking over the party again.

Galloway is making bellicose noises about re-opening an indoor market and Rochdale AFC facing liquidation. Beyond rhetorical flatulence hard to see what he can do about that. And he'll be out on his arse later in the year.

Galloway is making bellicose noises about re-opening an indoor market and Rochdale AFC facing liquidation. Beyond rhetorical flatulence hard to see what he can do about that. And he'll be out on his arse later in the year.
He promised to rebuild central Bradford after victory in West. He's a "maverick" on the stumps and "typical politician" thereafter.

I did put a cheeky bet on the lib dems - at 25/1 - right after Labour pulled the plug - as they might just get votes from ex-tories who can't face voting Labour - and Labour voters who can't stand GG. And there might be votes from reform who realise they can't win and also can't stand GG.

It was a cheeky bet - the by-election is a bit pointless as the winner will be an MP for a few months before the big show.

I did put a cheeky bet on the lib dems - at 25/1 - right after Labour pulled the plug - as they might just get votes from ex-tories who can't face voting Labour - and Labour voters who can't stand GG. And there might be votes from reform who realise they can't win and also can't stand GG.

It was a cheeky bet - the by-election is a bit pointless as the winner will be an MP for a few months before the big show.
More tips, please .

Poor bastards...generally feel sorry for thems that have to endure the circus that is a by election. Yep you are right will to do it all again in a few months

That bet is so cheeky it’s off out for a pint and a Nando’s

My prediction: Galloway will win, and rather than this being viewed as people democratically making a protest about the government and Labour's actions on Gaza, it will be taken as further evidence of the terrifying danger to democracy of an Islamic mob.
If he doesn't win he'll sue.

Anyone know if Rochdale are doing the count tonight or just letting it sit there and starting on it tomorrow morning?

I have just left work and a colleague who bets says George Galloway is clear favourite.
There is usually a low turn out for by elections and there is usually a protest vote against the ruling party.
I would not bet against Galloway.

Back
Top Bottom