Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rochdale by-election

According to Skwawkbox

"Labour canvassers were being allowed to speak to voters inside the station and people were being allowed to cast votes without ID, at one station in a usually strong Labour area. Police were called and the Returning Officer summoned, who sacked at least one clerk. However, it is not known how many suspect votes had been cast or whether other stations were similarly affected."

Hope Galloway loses and then makes a fool out of himself claiming fraud.

(Though isn’t making a fool out of a fool kind of redundant?)

Starmer is embarrassed either way. The Liberals & Danczuk are scrambling for relevance, the Tory went on holiday & the other loons are nowhere.

Too close to call for the bookies:
Starsports betting have a blog on the by election and some great odds on the Greens

1709245243407.png

Anyway, I've finally come to a prediction: 'Lab' win, unless a very low turnout. I just can't see how the Stalinist goon gets many votes outside of the Muslim and pro-Palestinian vote. Probably have to drop to below 20% for that to work out for the Ba'athist.
I'm nearly ready to make a prediction, but think I might leave it till tomorrow morning just to be on the safe side.

Oh well. Off to bed & will check tomorrow if George is the new Rochdale MP on the basis of a very low turnout.

He’s apparently threatening a ‘mass rally’ in Rochdale town centre tomorrow 😳

How to lose an unlosable by-election:

1. Say that the left of your party is antisemitic and tar the whole left with antisemitism
2. Lock the above into a fanatically pro-Israel position
3. Refuse to support a ceasefire amid mass slaughter
4. Impose a loyalist Muslim candidate without like, y'know, having a chat with him about his position on the slaughter
5. Fart and faff when he comes out with a conspiracy theory
6. Drop him like a sack of spuds when you get past the deadline for nominations
7. Tell Labour voters to 'erm, support, erm, whoever, erm... gee, it's hard this... erm, dunno'
8. Extend the venal Ba'athist's career.

I've just realised Neil Emmott is the council leader, someone I knew when he was a young councillor mid-80s (a Labour right winger at the time and presumably even more so now). I'll bet he's delighted at the prospect of dealing with Galloway for the next few months.

That's quite high, given the circumstances
I am very surprised. I didn't think it would get that high even before Ali got suspended

On average during this Parliamentary term, seats being defended by Labour have seen turnout decline by 32pts (-48%) in by-elections.In Rochdale, turnout declined by 20pts (-34%) despite the Labour candidate being suspended.

oh god, Chris Williamson is on now

Interestingly, the BBC bloke is busy shutting him down when he uses the word 'genocide'. Anything else goes, but he can't call it genocide, that's offensive.
Of all the (many) things to take issue with that wanker over. 🙄

I'm not in the business of garnering sympathy for Rochdale Labour, but they must be seriously fucked off at the moment. They threw everything they had at getting rid of smith and then had major battles with the Liberals after he went, with the seat changing hands several times. They then had to go through Danczuk, but finally get to the point where they ran the council and had a comfortable majority in the seat. And now, thanks to starmer, they'll have a really nasty battle again to try and get it back at the next election.

Back
Top Bottom