Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Raith Rovers and the rapist

A brave, brave woman.

And fuck Raith Rovers forever. I hope they go bust as they're rotten to the core.

That'd be unfair on all the decent people connected with the club, who've fought to have the rapist's appointment overturned - sometimes at great personal cost. Rather, what's required is the club to be purged of anyone - directors, players, staff - who supported it. Instead, it should be placed in the hands of those like McDermid, the two directors who resigned, and the women's captain who stood up for what was right.

I heard Val McDermid being interviewed on the radio, she sounded a bit embarrassed about the name change but said it had been chosen by the team.

I believe she's sponsoring them instead of Raith Rovers now, one of the few people whose come out of this in a positive light.

Both Raith and Clyde. Nasty.
That'd be unfair on all the decent people connected with the club, who've fought to have the rapist's appointment overturned - sometimes at great personal cost. Rather, what's required is the club to be purged of anyone - directors, players, staff - who supported it. Instead, it should be placed in the hands of those like McDermid, the two directors who resigned, and the women's captain who stood up for what was right.
And if that doesn't happen, they should think about forming a breakaway club like FCUM did when Glazers took over.

ALL the players and most of the management backed the appointment of the rapist. If it was my club, I'd never be back but I'd totally support a breakaway club.

ALL the players and most of the management backed the appointment of the rapist. If it was my club, I'd never be back but I'd totally support a breakaway club.
A club is so much more than the players who happen to play for it at a particular moment in time. I'd bin them off.

A club is so much more than the players who happen to play for it at a particular moment in time. I'd bin them off.
It wasn't just the players who supported this rapist though was it?

And seeing as there is zero chance of the players all being sacked, would you carry on supporting them? I wouldn't. Some issues are bigger than blind team loyalty.

It wasn't just the players who supported this rapist though was it?

And seeing as there is zero chance of the players all being sacked, would you carry on supporting them? I wouldn't. Some issues are bigger than blind team loyalty.

To try to ensure the integrity and decency of an organisation that's really important to a community is about much more than blind loyalty. Especially, since, first and foremost, a football club is is fans, not owners, directors, or players.

To try to ensure the integrity and decency of an organisation that's really important to a community is about much more than blind loyalty. Especially, since, first and foremost, a football club is is fans, not owners, directors, or players.

Like I said, Raith would have lost my support, just like Cardiff lost my support when they changed the strip and badge and a load of fans went along with it.

The Raith fans were brilliant in putting on pressure to the club but remind me how many still went to the next game after the rapist was signed?

If it was my club, I'd be gone and I'd be lending my full support to the breakaway women's team and hopefully a breakaway men's team too.

Like I said, Raith would have lost my support, just like Cardiff lost my support when they changed the strip and badge and a load of fans went along with it.

The Raith fans were brilliant in putting on pressure to the club but remind me how many still went to the next game after the rapist was signed?

If it was my club, I'd be gone and I'd be lending my full support to the breakaway women's team and hopefully a breakaway men's team too.

Fair enough. My instinct would be to try to make the club better for the community it serves; you'd rather have nothing to do with it. I can understand why you might feel like that, and who's to say one approach is better than the other when both are motivated by disgust at the signing.

But you shouldn't underestimate the fans' disapproval of the directors' actions. They average 1,500 through the turnstiles per game, and within a few days half that number of fans had contributed over £10K for Rape Crisis Scotland. And many season ticket holders threatened a boycott as long as the rapist remained.

I do find the idea of fans taking clubs back from the pricks who so often run them to be attractive; in the right hands, they could be a real force for good. Especially since football is one of the few remaining areas of our atomised society where working class people regularly feel a sense of pride, belonging, and solidarity.

Last edited:
He'll be getting paid Raith wages whilst paying for Clyde - a fucking mess.

They should've sacked him, and let him sue, and, if he did, bring him back and force him to train alone every day, whilst making it clear he'll never play.

He'll be getting paid Raith wages whilst paying for Clyde - a fucking mess.

They should've sacked him, and let him sue, and, if he did, bring him back and force him to train alone every day, whilst making it clear he'll never play.

I genuinely don’t know, but clubs don’t loan out of the goodness, the shiter club they are loaned to would surely pay that level wedge towards the player, no?

I genuinely don’t know, but clubs don’t loan out of the goodness, the shiter club they are loaned to would surely pay that level wedge towards the player, no?
Usually the parent club pays the wages, but seeks a contrition from the club receiving the loan player.

The upshot is the player gets the full wage. Such that he's done alright or if it.

This really is a bare-faced workaround. Can the Scottish FA do anything? Don't suppose they have regulations about fit and proper persons for players and it's not like the rules for owners do any good.

This really is a bare-faced workaround. Can the Scottish FA do anything? Don't suppose they have regulations about fit and proper persons for players and it's not like the rules for owners do any good.
Sadly, I don't think there is anything they can do.

beeb coverage ...

and it seems Clyde will have to suffer some consequences ... Good !
Owner of the stadium is threatening to end their lease early too if Goodwillie sets foot in the ground.

They'd either have to pay him off or reinstate him. I'd rather they technically do the latter, but make him train alone every day and make it clear he'll never play. That way, his days would be miserable, he wouldn't get to play football, and no appearance/goal bonuses.
And, if he failed to turn up he could be sacked.

Back
Top Bottom