Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rapist may have caught HIV

Anyway back to catching HIV, what are risks of catching it if you're covered in somebodies else blood head to toe, but no open wounds etc?

mucous membranes :cool:

to clarify just because you dont have an open wound doesnt mean the virus couldnt get into the body - eyes being a route of infection. not sure on the risk of transmission of HIV via the EYE hole but it would certainly be a risk.

to clarify further - its not only HIV you would have to worry about eg Hep B and C, ebola :hmm:

Can lesbian sex transmit HIV (excluding extreme S&M obvs.)?

Sharing toys and oral sex. The risk is much smaller (just as it is smaller for a man to get it from a woman) but it's still a risk. And there are ways of protecting yourself (using condoms on toys and changing them between use, dental dams etc) but it's not really discussed very widely.

Like I say it is a small risk but the lack of discussion annoys me. I will get off my soap box now. :D

to clarify just because you dont have an open wound doesnt mean the virus couldnt get into the body - eyes being a route of infection. not sure on the risk of transmission of HIV via the EYE hole but it would certainly be a risk.

to clarify further - its not only HIV you would have to worry about eg Hep B and C, ebola :hmm:

:hmm:

Well I've just moved and registering with a new doctor, so I'll ask for a blood test when they do the initial assessment.

Sticking a condom on a sex toy must feel like being the sexual health teacher slipping one on a cucumber

'remember to pinch the end so there is a little space for your emmisions- otherwise you'll hurt a lot'

Mr. Taylors greates ever advice

His defence seems to have been along the lines of 'I took loads of coke and ecstasy and I don't remember doing it'.

Gotta love karma :)

ETA: He still only got 64 months though :rolleyes:

it is no mitigation though is it? drunk drivers don't get to say 'yeh i crashed into that bus but I was mad drunk at the time.'

ppl on coke and eccies -a bad combo all told- should be really into the texture of wallpaper and not be involved in sexual violence.

5 years is a joke

it is no mitigation though is it? drunk drivers don't get to say 'yeh i crashed into that bus but I was mad drunk at the time.'

ppl on coke and eccies -a bad combo all told- should be really into the texture of wallpaper and not be involved in sexual violence.

5 years is a joke

Changing the subject slightly what sentence do you think would be appropriate, assuming there would be no time knocked of the sentence.

If he does contract HIV do you think that should lead to a more lenient sentence as he's already being punished in a different way. Would anyone be harsh enough to say that he should then be denied NHS treatment?

Sticking a condom on a sex toy must feel like being the sexual health teacher slipping one on a cucumber

'remember to pinch the end so there is a little space for your emmisions- otherwise you'll hurt a lot'

Mr. Taylors greates ever advice
I had to demonstrate putting a condom on a banana in front of 200 rig workers about to go out to Atyrau once. I forgot to tell them about pinching the end

((my career))

Yeah but how long does it survive outside the body? A few seconds?

I had to demonstrate putting a condom on a banana in front of 200 rig workers about to go out to Atyrau once. I forgot to tell them about pinching the end

((my career))

I would hazard a guess that a bunch of rig workers had previous experience with handling ole jonny rubber.

being schooled in the matter by a female would have embarrased the hell out of me though, where do you put your face.

I would hazard a guess that a bunch of rig workers had previous experience with handling ole jonny rubber.

being schooled in the matter by a female would have embarrased the hell out of me though, where do you put your face.
they were mostly Russians and Kazakhs who culturally don't. It was part of a corporate social responsibility drive to try and protect the local female population as the drilling opened up... and as I had to do it in Russian, they were mostly staring at me in polite confusion...who is this woman, what is she doing to our language, and what on earth is she doing to that fruit?

Changing the subject slightly what sentence do you think would be appropriate, assuming there would be no time knocked of the sentence.

If he does contract HIV do you think that should lead to a more lenient sentence as he's already being punished in a different way. Would anyone be harsh enough to say that he should then be denied NHS treatment?

I'm no judge but i think violent people should be deprived of their liberty.

there shouldn't be any leniency wrt to illness but full and proper care should be provided for inmates. I think with modern medicine the prognosis with HIV is pretty long term

I think a decade is on the short side for a stranger breaking in in the middle of the night and raping someone. No parole.

Thought similar with this -- fourteen years and out in six though he's since been recalled on his licence.

'A Scottish man who was jailed for twice raping a woman in England has lost a legal bid to keep his name out of media reports on his attempt to return home.

Stephen Fagan, 47, injected the woman with heroin and raped her in front of her eight-year-old son at her home in South Shields, near Newcastle, in 2006.
He was jailed for 14 years but released on licence in September 2012.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23944596

My first reaction to this story was ''fucking deserves him right'' then as I thought about it rationally I came to the conclusion that the last person i'd want to have an infectious disease such as HIV is a rapist.

I have no pity for his situation, fuck him. I only hope he doesn't rape again.

Yeah but how long does it survive outside the body? A few seconds?
I believe it varies, cant remember off the top of my head bit I think HIV doesnt do too well, possibly HCV a bit better and HBV even betterer.

Id still want prophylaxis ifI was splashed in the eye with HIV positive blood that had been outside the body for an hour though!

:hmm:

Well I've just moved and registering with a new doctor, so I'll ask for a blood test when they do the initial assessment.
If youre working in a job where you might get covered in blood or risk needlestick/splashes I think your work should be screening you and offering the jab against Hep B. If your lifestyle puts you at risk you can ask your GP to be vaccinated. Cant do that for Hep C or HIV though. With ebola just stay away from monkeys and people bleeding from the eyeholes

<snip>
I think with modern medicine the prognosis with HIV is pretty long term

Not necessarily as it depends on various factors - how long since infection it is diagnosed (i.e. what damage it may have already caused), the strain (or strains) the person is infected with reducing available drug options when these are needed, and the general health of the individual (co-infection with other viruses like Hep C adversely affects the prognosis, for example). But I guess he may have been offered the prophylaxis treatment to reduce the risk of the virus taking hold, if indeed he contracted it - but this is only effective I understand for a fairly brief window following infection, and I presume the rape occurred several months ago as cases take a while to reach court.

I've no idea how long the virus survives outside of the body though. * googles to find out *

ETA - thanks Manter - saved me the job!

Last edited:
Always thought the case for hanging rapists was a lot more stronger than murderers. Not that I would be in favour of it but murder is a very human crime and one we are all capable of, in the wrong circumstances. But rape is strictly confined to the surplus wotsits of this world and as such, to see them swinging from a noose would make a certain kind of sense.

But 5 years is not enough. 50 is not enough.

Just to reiterate what two people further up the thread have said: while it would give me a nice feeling to know such a scumbag has potentially killed himself, and if not, then given himself a lifetime of worry and illness - I still wouldn't wish HIV on him due to the fact he's obviously a dangerous man. This is not me putting rapes in order of seriousness, but from the attacker's point of view it doesn't get any worse. To break into someone's home and do that means it was premeditated, not something impulsive (again, I'm not trying to compare or mitigate certain rapes here), so he should be considered one of the most dangerous rapists there is, IMO.

For someone with such lack of control to be HIV+ - on top of the rejection he will face when he is released - doesn't bear thinking about. If he is infected, then I would hope he would be monitored much more closely than he would have otherwise as the risk he poses is now so much greater.

:(

<snip>

For someone with such lack of control to be HIV+ - on top of the rejection he will face when he is released - doesn't bear thinking about. If he is infected, then I would hope he would be monitored much more closely than he would have otherwise as the risk he poses is now so much greater.

:(

Assuming he is infected, and he does receive the appropriate treatment and a) it works, and b) he complies with the treatment, the risk of sexual transmission is thought to be low although of course not risk-free. There has been research into sero-discordant couples and the transmission risks if they do not practice barrier-method safe sex, and it does seem from what I've read that the risk is relatively low if the virus is kept under control in the partner with HIV. At least that is what I remember reading somewhere, so would have to check whether this is accurate.

I'm not commenting on the rape aspect of course, but if someone rapes someone and infects them I gather this is taken into account as an aggravating factor, and quite rightly.

ETA - this is an abstract from PLOS ONE about the transmission risks for such couples, but mentions barrier method use. I'm sure I read something about the risks of not using barrier methods. Will keep checking...

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0055747

This mentions a study which showed the risks to be low but also with use of barrier methods. I'm sure I read a study somewhere about couples who choose not to use barrier methods - although that would obviously increase the risk level.

http://www.aidsmap.com/Treatment-is...-partner-starts-treatment-early/page/1879665/

Last edited:
Assuming he is infected, and he does receive the appropriate treatment and a) it works, and b) he complies with the treatment, the risk of sexual transmission is thought to be low although of course not risk-free. There has been research into sero-discordant couples and the transmission risks if they do not practice barrier-method safe sex, and it does seem from what I've read that the risk is relatively low if the virus is kept under control in the partner with HIV. At least that is what I remember reading somewhere, so would have to check whether this is accurate.

I'm not commenting on the rape aspect of course, but if someone rapes someone and infects them I gather this is taken into account as an aggravating factor, and quite rightly.

I'm not sure, but surely if it's hard for men to catch it from women, and even harder for women to catch it from women, then men infecting women must be a strong possibility as not only gay men have HIV.

This is something that phildwyer has tried to discuss here many times, but there was an agenda behind what he was saying (as there so often is) so we never found out what his point was. It involved African gay men and lesbians though. I don't know if he even had a point or if it was 100% troll.

Perhaps now he's not here we can have a sensible discussion about it (we seem to be, actually) :)

I'm not sure, but surely if it's hard for men to catch it from women, and even harder for women to catch it from women, then men infecting women must be a strong possibility as not only gay men have HIV.

This is something that phildwyer has tried to discuss here many times, but there was an agenda behind what he was saying (as there so often is) so we never found out what his point was. It involved African gay men and lesbians though. I don't know if he even had a point or if it was 100% troll.

Perhaps now he's not here we can have a sensible discussion about it (we seem to be, actually) :)

Probably the ''good aids'' (orphans in an African village) and the ''bad aids'' (dirty gay bois) debate

I think we're now at a time where we need another widespread campaign on HIV/AIDS.
In the 80's there was a massive one but those who that targeted are now grown up and informed by it (to an extent). The young generation we have at the moment are, in my experience, very ignorant about it all.

what do you think his point was?

The THT have come out a couple of times and expressed concern that HIV is on the rise because they have found young people don't perceive HIV as very serious because (in the UK at least) the outlook with treatment is considerably better than it used to be.

They see it as something that can be easily controlled with medication as opposed to serious health condition that comes with many caveats and complexities.

Of course - the figures do show the transmission risk is higher from male to female in heterosexual relationships. But factors such as pre-existing STIs can increase the risks for both parties for obvious reasons. I'm not sure who the poster you mention is to be honest, and I think all of this is derailing the thread anyway! :)

Back
Top Bottom