Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bournemouth beach deaths, May 2023

Depends on the speculation surely, any sort of 'loonery beyond the pale obvs but there's lots of other perfectly legitimate possibilities - your 'basic decency' seems a very movable feast when you think of other recent tragedies we've speculated on/discussed
I think the term which comes to mind is "context is all".

The police have released the bloke they nicked for manslaughter "under investigation". They added that no one got hit by a boat nor jumped or fell off the pier.

I think that boat launches from the side of the pier itself so if he didn’t hit them, maybe he came in too fast and caused too much swell.

It’s not that small and could definitely create enough wave to cause an issue.

If it was a rip-tide, the police are going to look somewhat dumb.

Father of Bournemouth tragedy survivor says daughter taken out by ‘rip tide'​

The father of a survivor of Wednesday’s tragic incident has said his daughter was taken out by a “rip tide”.
Lauren Tate, 18, was treating in hospital for a short period of time and is now recovering at home.
Her father told the Mail Online: “We’ve seen all the stuff about boats and jet skis but it wasn’t like that. She was swimming in the sea with her friends when the rip tide took them out.”
The 18-year-old was pulled from the sea by a coastguard.

LINK

There has been a suggestion that the boat caused the riptide, but I thought that a riptide was a natural phenomenon?

There has been a suggestion that the boat caused the riptide, but I thought that a riptide was a natural phenomenon?

As has already been amply demonstrated in this case, accounts by supposed witnesses and random members of the public should be taken with a big pinch of salt.

If an experienced RNLI Lifeguard on scene says it was a rip current, then ok, but some bloke who probably wasn't even there and doesn't know what they are anyway, not so much.

Yeah, it's something of a misnomer, they're actually localised currents rather than tidal. But yes, they are natural.

Swim at right angles to the current/parallel to the beach should you get in one, they're not wide.

Although also wot platinumsage said.

I live here and never known that to be a risky spot. Someone at work who is a sea swimmer said that there’s a bit of a suction effect swimming close to the pier so that along with a boat too close could explain it.

I live here and never known that to be a risky spot. Someone at work who is a sea swimmer said that there’s a bit of a suction effect swimming close to the pier so that along with a boat too close could explain it.

Yeah, you can get rip currents around piers. Do they not put marker buoys or something around unsafe structures?

Oops. Getting into speculation.

Back
Top Bottom