Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Raith Rovers and the rapist

When Evans was still playing for Sheffield United while on bail for rape there were chants of 'he shags who he wants' to be heard at bramall lane so supporters ripping up their season tickets is definitely progress and good to see.

It should be pointed out that lots of blades also threatened burning their season tickets and were vehemently opposed to signing him (most notably Jess Ennis). And don’t forget Goodwillie hasn’t played in front of anyone yet.

It should be pointed out that lots of blades also threatened burning their season tickets and were vehemently opposed to signing him (most notably Jess Ennis). And don’t forget Goodwillie hasn’t played in front of anyone yet.
This is true, though I'm pretty certain Evans was already a united player when he raped that woman, or do you mean when they re-signed him?

There were a depressing number of fans of all stripes (including blue and white) were prepared to defend him and I'm not seeing that here but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Hopefully I'm right, progress has been made and there won't be any similar chants but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

This is true, though I'm pretty certain Evans was already a united player when he raped that woman, or do you mean when they re-signed him?

There were a depressing number of fans of all stripes (including blue and white) were prepared to defend him and I'm not seeing that here but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Hopefully I'm right, progress has been made and there won't be any similar chants but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The only chants or songs there should be around this are ones ripping into Goodwillie tbf.

Surreal that those 4 old crusties went ahead with the signing despite the obvious damage it would do. Still, Rape Rovers is quite a catchy name, I'm sure they'll live it down well...

Goodwillie was not convicted of rape, he wasn't even tried for rape. Police Scotland investigated the matter, and there was not enough evidence to proceed with a charge and trial.

Subsequently he was sued by the complainant, and a Sherriff, on the basis of probability awarded damages.

So, he is in the situation of being criminally not a rapist, but civilly regarded as probably being a rapist.

A strange situation, but, he appealed against the civil award and lost, so there is no doubt whatsoever of his guilt.

This happened ten years ago, and he has not been subject to any accusation of criminality in the intervening time.

Punishment without rehabilitation is regarded by many as a huge failing of the justice system. So, he was not prosecuted, damages were awarded in a civil case, is it not time he was allowed to move on and take a place in society?

Well, no, because despite the initial civil finding, and the loss of his appeal, he still maintains his innocence. To me at least, the first step towards rehabilitation is admission and remorse, he has not admitted guilt, nor expressed remorse.

Goodwillie was not convicted of rape, he wasn't even tried for rape. Police Scotland investigated the matter, and there was not enough evidence to proceed with a charge and trial.

Subsequently he was sued by the complainant, and a Sherriff, on the basis of probability awarded damages.

So, he is in the situation of being criminally not a rapist, but civilly regarded as probably being a rapist.

A strange situation, but, he appealed against the civil award and lost, so there is no doubt whatsoever of his guilt.

This happened ten years ago, and he has not been subject to any accusation of criminality in the intervening time.

Punishment without rehabilitation is regarded by many as a huge failing of the justice system. So, he was not prosecuted, damages were awarded in a civil case, is it not time he was allowed to move on and take a place in society?

Well, no, because despite the initial civil finding, and the loss of his appeal, he still maintains his innocence. To me at least, the first step towards rehabilitation is admission and remorse, he has not admitted guilt, nor expressed remorse.

He's a rapist. Fuck the technicalities, he's an unrepentant rapist.

This is about the special position professional sport (and in particular in the UK professional football) holds. If he was looking to get a job as a welder or builder or whatever then I would agree with you.

With professional football the situation is very very different and that can't be ignored. Or it shouldn't be.

This is about the special position professional sport (and in particular in the UK professional football) holds. If he was looking to get a job as a welder or builder or whatever then I would agree with you.

With professional football the situation is very very different and that can't be ignored. Or it shouldn't be.

I thought my final sentence had made my view clear.

He is not on the road to rehabilitation, and really, WTF were Raith thinking about when they signed him?

Maybe in the US or China where you have huge populations, this could slip past public notice, but in Scotland? :rolleyes:

I suspect every time he plays the supporters of the opposing team are probably going to have field day chanting at him.

This is not the thread for technicalities or apologists for rapists.

Why does he get to move on with his life, when the woman he raped may not get to?

Last edited:
The state of the fucking language around rape...

You don't rape someone by mistake.
And even if we ignore the terrible choice of word, there's clear evidence that he doesn't recognise or acknowledge his "mistake".

Can only echo the question already asked by many - WTF were Raith Rovers thinking?

No way should that team have signed him.
But they did.
So they should be boycotted until he's gone.
Plus, the manager & board that made the proposal & decision to sign him are also all gone.

He's not getting the oxygen of publicity by me typing his name.
But as Sass says, he's not attempting to be rehabilitated - he's not expressed remorse at the all important first step ...
Why do some males find it so difficult to say "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong" ?

United we’re in a slightly difficult position in that, because he was there player before the conviction, he was still registered with them upon its overturning, so they were obliged by pfa rules to let him train. There’s no doubt they’d have liked to sign him permanently though and it was only fan action that stopped it. He got shit for a few seasons afterwards, but it seems like that’s pretty much stopped now.

interesting to see where you think compassion and nuance is appropriate.

And Police Scotland saying there wasn't enough evidence to proceed doesn't mean he didn't do it, just that there was no chance of a conviction.

Sasaferrato do you know the stats for rape convictions, and the inherent systemic reasons and biases for said conviction rates?

"criminally regarded as probably being a rapist" LOL

If the Sun newspaper which for years has been naming him as a rapist without inverted commas around the word, is content to describe him as such, repeatedly, I think it's pretty legally watertight to believe he's a rapist, and no one sensible has any hesitation in doing so.

I hope also you've read the civil court judgement against him, in full. (TRIGGER WARNING: do not read if likely to cause upset owing to contextual description of sexual assault / rape).

tl;dr- final paragraph from Lord Armstrong, para. 344:

[344] Having carefully examined and scrutinised the whole evidence in the case, I find the evidence for the pursuer to be cogent, persuasive and compelling. In the result, therefore, I find that in the early hours of Sunday 2 January 2011, at the flat in Greig Crescent, Armadale, both defenders took advantage of the pursuer when she was vulnerable through an excessive intake of alcohol and, because her cognitive functioning and decision‑making processes were so impaired, was incapable of giving meaningful consent; and that they each raped her

Back
Top Bottom