Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prince Harry

Wonderfully dismissive coverage of them from the South African state broadcaster during their recent trip there. Honestly, these fuckers put host countries to great expense and create a security risk for everyone they visit. I read in horror how some royals are on a tour of tribal areas in N Pakistan. Imagine how the ISI swept through there before their visit and threatened the fuck out of the locals. One royal stopped at a mud hut to talk to a local. You fucking arsehole, putting those poor people at risk. Utter imperialist wankers.

It's hard to have sympathy for Meghan. She knew exactly what she was getting into marrying into that family.

If you are willing to accept the massive privilege and wealth happily, you must understand there are certain obligations to keep the public happy.

Their gaff cost £30m to refurbish! Thirty fucking million!

I don't find this difficult. The royal family are an anathema, throwback an embarrassingly explicit symbol of a stultified class riven UK.

But I have no beef with Harry or Megan as individuals. The partisan press and it's backers are more of a threat to democracy and progress than the emcombant royals. Fuck the scum journalists procecuting this grubby, nasty little work. Their trade should get in the grave already.

I've no interest in them, despite Mrs SI often thrusting pictures of George or whichever under my nose from time to time for some reason - and I genuinely wouldn't go to the end of my street to look at any of them if they visited. But I can't summon any ire for them much, either. Yes, I'd get rid of the whole thing and distribute their lands and assets to everyone, but they seem alright, with the usual caveats. They're just massive beneficiaries from a drastically unfair system but in a sort of benign way so I'm ambivalent really. Megan Markle hasn't done anything wrong and has had some nasty stuff written about her from what I understand, and I can't say I'm going to cheer that.

Politicians and media, well, them I can despise for sure.

I would say that they're perhaps not personally responsible, but they have still chosen, on some level, to go along with the whole thing
The ones who marry into it, sure. Not the ones born into it though. They had no choice. Other than children I doubt there are many who'd willigly choose that life.

The ones who marry into it, sure. Not the ones born into it though. They had no choice. Other than children I doubt there are many who'd willigly choose that life.
I agree that they didn't choose to be born into it, but they do, once they're adults, have a choice about whether they carry on with the £30 million refurbishment and all the rest of it.

I agree that they didn't choose to be born into it, but they do, once they're adults, have a choice about whether they carry on with the £30 million refurbishment and all the rest of it.
I seem to have got me figures a little mixed up. The wedding cost £30m. The refurbishment only cost a paltry £2.4m

Whoever wins, I couldn't give a shit.

The wrong kind of press restrictions resulting from one corner of press being a particular kind of shitty: not good

Shitty press getting away with badly-disguised racism under guise of covering stupid anachronistic circus - not good

Yeah, is just a matter of whether you have a strong preference for one kind of crap over another, I guess.

While I agree in principle that if they don't like it, they could chin it off and go and be Mr and Mrs Smith of Nuneton, I wonder if that's actually true - if Harry and Meghan renounced their place in the succession, the civil list and pissed off to live on a farm in Arizona or Northumberland, would the press leave them alone, or would they just be exactly the same prisoners of speculative 'journalism' and endless paparazzi for the next 50 years even if their only 'public' appearences were shopping in the Morrisons in Berwick-upon-Tweed or getting the car serviced in Tucson?

I'm afraid I believe that there just isn't an escape route that they just choose not to use - I think they could renounce it all and they'd be hounded till the end of their days, so they may as well keep the money and the flunkies and the adoration of the mad old grannies...

While I agree in principle that if they don't like it, they could chin it off and go and be Mr and Mrs Smith of Nuneton, I wonder if that's actually true - if Harry and Meghan renounced their place in the succession, the civil list and pissed off to live on a farm in Arizona or Northumberland, would the press leave them alone, or would they just be exactly the same prisoners of speculative 'journalism' and endless paparazzi for the next 50 years even if their only 'public' appearences were shopping in the Morrisons in Berwick-upon-Tweed or getting the car serviced in Tucson?

I'm afraid I believe that there just isn't an escape route that they just choose not to use - I think they could renounce it all and they'd be hounded till the end of their days, so they may as well keep the money and the flunkies and the adoration of the mad old grannies...
Possibly not although I might be a bit more sympathetic to them. Probably not though. Fuck them really

Ok, I'll swap that word for roughly
Sorry, I have to disagree. No one is denying the Royals enjoy an absurdly and unfairly privileged life and will naturally attract a significant amount of press scrutiny and coverage. But that does not justify any Riyal being subjected to unnecessarily intrusive, abusing or least of all borderline racist articles that have fuck all to do with public interest or press freedom, any more than a Premiership footballer does regardless of what ludicrous wages he gets paid.

If I were a celebrity regularly targeted by the tabloids I swear I would team up with other celebs and start up a gossip website targeting family members of of the owners and editors of all the tabloids and publishing images of them going shopping or relaxing in their gardens or on their boats. I reckon they’d soon give orders to ease up on their celebrity coverage.

Back
Top Bottom