Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prince Harry

If you’re volunteering to do psychology essays, do you fancy having a go at one of these…? Take that amateur psychologising up to the Masters level!
I'd say that quite a bit of that involves learning the terms and structure of how to do professional psychology. I couldn't do any of those without doing a tonne of research - ie doing a crash course in psychology.

And remember that I did say that I'd fail that undergrad exam. But I could make sense of the questions that didn't specifically refer to some theory or other that I'm not familiar with, and I think most people could.

Problem with the idea that we're not all amateur psychologists is that it sets up the science of psychology as some new kind of thing. It may be a new way of doing the subject - employing a rigorous scientific method - but that doesn't mean the subject didn't exist before. All kinds of psychological theories have existed (and still exist) outside professional psychology. Ideas to do with demons and exorcism are psychological theories, for example. Has there ever been a human society that hasn't had some form of psychological theory embedded into its beliefs, myths and traditions?

I hate this rhetoric of moving away from misogynist/homophobic/disablist etc language being an upper middle class thing. "Soya lattes" ffs. Straight from the right wing "culture war" playbook along with the idea of a soft left elite that's being spouted by massively privileged people with large platforms. They're the people this crap's coming from and it's deliberately divisive. Someone who asks you not to insult women and minorities with offensive old tropes is as likely to have a can of lager or mug of own-brand tea in their hand as a soya latte.

Women are only ever after the finances of hapless rich men is the underlying misogyny. Which basically condemns all women everywhere in one fell swoop given they’re more economically disadvantaged than men.
Plus in this particular case you'd have to be a dyed in the wool shite to have it appear applicable when the woman in question was enjoying a highly successful career in one of the top paying professions.

Question 2 .. answer by ChatGPT

Approaches to Attitude Change​

Critically evaluate the main approaches social psychologists have proposed to explain attitude change

Social psychologists have proposed several approaches to explain attitude change, including cognitive dissonance theory, social influence theory, and the elaboration likelihood model. Each of these approaches offers a unique perspective on the factors that influence attitude change and has been supported by empirical research.
Cognitive dissonance theory suggests that people experience psychological discomfort, or cognitive dissonance, when their attitudes and behaviors are inconsistent. To reduce this discomfort, individuals may change their attitudes to align with their behavior. This theory has received significant support in numerous studies, but some critics have argued that it has limited explanatory power and that it cannot account for all instances of attitude change.
Social influence theory, on the other hand, proposes that attitudes can be influenced by social pressure from others. This theory suggests that people conform to group norms and adopt the attitudes of others in order to fit in and avoid rejection. Social influence theory has been supported by a wealth of research, including classic studies such as Asch's conformity experiments. However, critics have argued that this theory neglects the role of individual differences in personality and cognitive processes.
Finally, the elaboration likelihood model proposes that people can be persuaded through two different routes: the central route and the peripheral route. The central route involves careful consideration and evaluation of arguments, while the peripheral route relies on superficial cues such as the attractiveness or credibility of the person delivering the message. The elaboration likelihood model has been supported by a large body of research and offers a comprehensive explanation of the factors that influence attitude change. However, some critics have argued that the model oversimplifies the complex cognitive processes involved in attitude change and that it may not account for all instances of persuasion.
Overall, each of these approaches has its strengths and limitations, and researchers continue to explore the factors that influence attitude change from a variety of perspectives

😀

I'd say that quite a bit of that involves learning the terms and structure of how to do professional psychology. I couldn't do any of those without doing a tonne of research - ie doing a crash course in psychology.

And remember that I did say that I'd fail that undergrad exam. But I could make sense of the questions that didn't specifically refer to some theory or other that I'm not familiar with, and I think most people could.

Problem with the idea that we're not all amateur psychologists is that it sets up the science of psychology as some new kind of thing. It may be a new way of doing the subject - employing a rigorous scientific method - but that doesn't mean the subject didn't exist before. All kinds of psychological theories have existed (and still exist) outside professional psychology. Ideas to do with demons and exorcism are psychological theories, for example. Has there ever been a human society that hasn't had some form of psychological theory embedded into its beliefs, myths and traditions?
Just one of the problems is that often people trying to be amateur psychologists only say things from their own “common sense” perspectives, many of which are completely at odds with the evidence base. Such as “smacking children installs discipline”.

If we’re really going to quibble on this, to be an amateur psychologist you’ve got to, at minimum, be able to draw on wide data sets to make more individual judgments, and be able to appraise what data sets are worth paying attention to and why. Being able to reflect on your own biases is a bonus.

But tbf I’ve learnt not to get involved with psychology debates on here as I often end up being mansplained to. :hmm:

Just one of the problems is that often people trying to be amateur psychologists only say things from their own “common sense” perspectives, many of which are completely at odds with the evidence base. Such as “smacking children installs discipline”.

If we’re really going to quibble on this, to be an amateur psychologist you’ve got to, at minimum, be able to draw on wide data sets to make more individual judgments, and be able to appraise what data sets are worth paying attention to and why. Being able to reflect on your own biases is a bonus.

But tbf I’ve learnt not to get involved with psychology debates on here as I often end up being mansplained to. :hmm:
It's an empirical science. I get it. In the end we mostly have a semantic disagreement about what the words 'psychology/psychologist' mean. Your definition is narrower than mine. I also agree with the original point made by mojo that just cos we're all amateur psychologists, that doesn't mean we're any good at it.

I see your point but it really comes down to the question of whether there is something categorically and valuably different about a formalised and accumulating body of academic knowledge about a subject, which is worthy of being distinctively named as such.

The problem with your blurring of those lines is that it equally applies to saying we are all amateur medics. Kind of true, but it’s also useful to know who does and does not know what they are talking about when it comes to advice on taking vaccines.

The problem with your blurring of those lines is that it equally applies to saying we are all amateur medics. Kind of true, but it’s also useful to know who does and does not know what they are talking about when it comes to advice on taking vaccines.
Yes it’s exactly that. And whilst I would say that we are the experts in our own subjective/phenomenological experience (and health professionals should always acknowledge it), lay people are only “amateur x” if they’ve informally studied it as according to the discipline parameters. Which is obviously not a handful of YouTube videos. ;)

Question 2 .. answer by ChatGPT

Approaches to Attitude Change​

Critically evaluate the main approaches social psychologists have proposed to explain attitude change

Social psychologists have proposed several approaches to explain attitude change, including cognitive dissonance theory, social influence theory, and the elaboration likelihood model. Each of these approaches offers a unique perspective on the factors that influence attitude change and has been supported by empirical research.
Cognitive dissonance theory suggests that people experience psychological discomfort, or cognitive dissonance, when their attitudes and behaviors are inconsistent. To reduce this discomfort, individuals may change their attitudes to align with their behavior. This theory has received significant support in numerous studies, but some critics have argued that it has limited explanatory power and that it cannot account for all instances of attitude change.
Social influence theory, on the other hand, proposes that attitudes can be influenced by social pressure from others. This theory suggests that people conform to group norms and adopt the attitudes of others in order to fit in and avoid rejection. Social influence theory has been supported by a wealth of research, including classic studies such as Asch's conformity experiments. However, critics have argued that this theory neglects the role of individual differences in personality and cognitive processes.
Finally, the elaboration likelihood model proposes that people can be persuaded through two different routes: the central route and the peripheral route. The central route involves careful consideration and evaluation of arguments, while the peripheral route relies on superficial cues such as the attractiveness or credibility of the person delivering the message. The elaboration likelihood model has been supported by a large body of research and offers a comprehensive explanation of the factors that influence attitude change. However, some critics have argued that the model oversimplifies the complex cognitive processes involved in attitude change and that it may not account for all instances of persuasion.
Overall, each of these approaches has its strengths and limitations, and researchers continue to explore the factors that influence attitude change from a variety of perspectives

😀
Honestly, I’m struggling to give that a bare pass. It misses out some really important ideas to a social psychological approach and talks about cognitive psychology instead, it isn’t referenced and most importantly of all, it doesn’t truly critically evaluate anything, which was what the question asked for.

I see your point but it really comes down to the question of whether there is something categorically and valuably different about a formalised and accumulating body of academic knowledge about a subject, which is worthy of being distinctively named as such.

Fair enough. It's also important to know what medics don't know, of course. I'm playing a little faux naive here as I have some knowledge of the history of psychiatry and psychology. There have been some very bad ideas through the decades. Still a few knocking around. I'm not saying that to diss your subject. You and AS know a bunch of things I don't know, clearly.

Fair enough. It's also important to know what medics don't know, of course. I'm playing a little faux naive here as I have some knowledge of the history of psychiatry and psychology. There have been some very bad ideas through the decades. Still a few knocking around.
Thing is, the fact that there have been and are bad ideas knocking about is exactly why you want somebody that has made an effort to formally study the subject and isn’t just uncritically picking up on a hodgepodge collection of ideas.

Thing is, the fact that there have been and are bad ideas knocking about is exactly why you want somebody that has made an effort to formally study the subject and isn’t just uncritically picking up on a hodgepodge collection of ideas.
It’s also a bit insulting to those who work in the area if truth be told. And whilst there are exceptions (eg vaccines), most of the time people don’t claim this with medicine but do with individual psychology. Is that an “ologies aren’t proper subjects” thing? Or, in the case of Clinical Psychology which is hugely female dominated these days, is there an underlying aspect of sexism there?

Though kabbes as I’m sure you well know, there are some researchers and practitioners out there with some shocking unacknowledged personal biases.

Though kabbes as I’m sure you well know, there are some researchers and practitioners out there with some shocking unacknowledged personal biases.
Oh yes, and there are also plenty who are perfectly eminent in their field that I would have massive epistemological or ontological differences with too :D. But at least we’d both understand what the basis of our disagreement was and why we disagree…

It’s also a bit insulting to those who work in the area if truth be told. And whilst there are exceptions (eg vaccines), most of the time people don’t claim this with medicine but do with individual psychology. Is that an “ologies aren’t proper subjects” thing? Or, in the case of Clinical Psychology which is hugely female dominated these days, is there an underlying aspect of sexism there?
I think the fact that it affects people so much, people are so systematically psychologically distressed these days and the preponderance of lay literature that claims to (and often does) help people resolve that personal distress doesn’t help either. Undertaking a piece of self-reflection that has resolved some issues deriving from personal subjectivity can encourage the belief that this self-reflection generalises to a wider biopsychosocial understanding. “It worked for me” becomes heuristic, in the same way that amateur medics may prescribe cutting out gluten to their friends when they hear their friend has pain.

The Poundstretcher near me is recruiting. I could put in a good word for him?
That is the problem, seeformiles. You are not helping matters.

He has always had people "putting in a good word for him".

How do you think he became an Assistant helicopter pilot with one O level, spent much of his life being pushed to the front of / avoiding entirely the queue, setting up-charities that become an overnight success, countless 'fact-finding' trips to Africa, avoiding cocaine charges, etc

Yes it’s exactly that. And whilst I would say that we are the experts in our own subjective/phenomenological experience (and health professionals should always acknowledge it), lay people are only “amateur x” if they’ve informally studied it as according to the discipline parameters. Which is obviously not a handful of YouTube videos. ;)
My claim was slightly more than that. My point was that we try to understand the experiences of others, not just ourselves, not even primarily ourselves even, and that's where the amateur psychology comes in. But I think my claim is also slightly less than what you took it to be. I wasn't intending to dismiss your field.

My claim was slightly more than that. My point was that we try to understand the experiences of others, not just ourselves, not even primarily ourselves even, and that's where the amateur psychology comes in. But I think my claim is also slightly less than what you took it to be. I wasn't intending to dismiss your field.
And I gave you the term for that - mentalization. I know wiki is a usually dodgy source but I do like the definition it offers:

In psychology, mentalization is the ability to understand the mental state – of oneself or others – that underlies overt behaviour.[1]Mentalization can be seen as a form of imaginative mental activity that lets us perceive and interpret human behaviour in terms of intentional mental states (e.g., needs, desires, feelings, beliefs, goals, purposes, and reasons).[2][3] It is sometimes described as "understanding misunderstanding." Another term that David Wallin has used for mentalization is "Thinking about thinking".
And with the idea of mentalization in mind, could you please step back for a minute and consider that it might have been a bit mansplainy to double down?

Maybe the term 'folk psychology' would have been more acceptable? I dunno.

You've done your own share of 'splaining here. You've also thrown a fair bit of shit in my direction. Maybe we should both step back.

Maybe the term 'folk psychology' would have been more acceptable? I dunno.

You've done your own share of 'splaining here. You've also thrown a fair bit of shit in my direction. Maybe we should both step back.
As you said earlier, it’s my field.
Fucks sake. The only things I’ll tend to double down on these days are things I’m pretty damn confident about, and that doesn’t apply to many things.

But yeah, nothing really to be gained from this anymore.

Prince Harry will be relieved to learn he has at least one fan left in the UK

_128831979_2664c925-de42-427f-a909-15f22b54c440.png.webp

:D

So Chucky 3 has evicted H&M from Frogmore so Noncey Andy can live there....

Can't wait for the next episode of Southpark.

Much as I feel for Harry....this is getting really quite funny.

And Chucky 3 wants to give a tell all interview before the Coronation. That'll go well....

No swastika armband?

His $34 a head interview about his 'trauma' is with a high profile shrink who is very close to being an anti-semite. At least firmly anti-Israel. That's always obvs a fine a line between the two.

But whoever is advising him... hmm.

I actually agree with guy's view on the Palestinian state, maybe not using hallucinogens to cure mental illness though.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in New York, told the Jewish Chronicle: 'Whoever made the arrangements to have this individual appear with Prince Harry, did him no favours. If Prince Harry knew this man's record and still chose him for the interview, our center would criticise the prince for such an inappropriate choice.'

Back
Top Bottom