Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prince Harry

I spose you gotta give it to him, this gormless idiot has chutzpah.

You'd hope he's giving the proceeds to a mental health charity but I highly doubt it.

Have you read his book?

I have. He didn't complain about the accommodation not being fit for someone of his standing at all. That's another lie the media have told about him. I'm absolutely not a royalist, and there are parts of the book that are really annoying because of Harry's lack of understanding of how privileged he is, but the press have been absolutely vile towards him and his wife. And now that he's exposed some of what he's been through at their hands, they're attacking him even more and telling lies about what he's put in his book, which people who haven't read it seem to believe.

After reading his book, I feel even more convinced that monarchy is a ridiculous institution. Their lives are a mixture of privilege and awfulness. The real power is with the "men in grey suits" as Diana used to call them.
You're not the first person I've heard say that. I'm not in a rush to read the book, but much rather believe you and people I know than the media whose business it is to press buttons to make money.
And I agree about the ridiculous and cruel institution of monarchy. The more I hear about it the less I understand how people can be so in thrall.

There will be a paperback copy of his book coming out.

He claims that he will be added a chapter at the end. Apparently, he will be going on about how upset his wife is.
And the effect it has had on the children.

Or maybe that will be in the 2nd or 3rd edition.

Not just that.

Monetizing 'trauma' when people who genuinely need help and access to mental health services but can't get help is seriously fucked up. Even for someone as self consumed as he is.
I happened to see a headline about this earlier and clicked to read more. Tbh, I was tempted to pay and watch, not motivated by some kind of gruesome rubber-necking a car crash as folks on here seem to assuming what's on offer, but from a personal interest/fascination in the therapeutic process.

I had EMDR therapy mixed in with some talking psychotherapy, for Complex PTSD, for about a year, mid-2021-mid-2022.

I'd suffered from what are now known as Adverse Childhood Experiences, ie I'd been battered as a child by my father and taken into care. And then the first boyfriend I lived with in my lat teens, as a care-leaver, was emotional and physically abusive, subjected me to coercive control.

A few years ago, when I first read about the term ACE, I read that researchers who'd carried out brain scans concluded that survivors of ACE actually sustained brain damage, in that their brains were different.

My mental health has always been a bit wobbly, iirc I was first put on antidepressants at around 17-years-old. I've have a few stints of psychotherapy since my mid-twenties, so have been in and out of therapy for nearly three decades, albeit often with a few years in between courses of therapy. I guess I had PTSD from those early life experiences and I was struggling to come to terms with the historical stuff, needed some kind of 'closure'.

But over the past decade or so, I was on the receiving end of quite a lot of antisocial behaviour and harassment from a neighbour and even housing staff bullied and harassed and intimidated me, causing my mental health to collapse, and I became suicidal, took a paracetamol overdose, had a couple of short stays in a residential mental health unit.

I ended up being referred for EMDR therapy for Complex PTSD, because I guess I already had PTSD from ACE and DV as a child/teenager and then all the abuse from antisocial behaviour and harassment was quite triggering and my mental health, which isn't robust at the best of times, collapsed.

Even though I've had some stints of psychotherapy over the years, I've always been curious about the process. I've even bluntly asked therapists: how does this work, how is this supposed to fix me? But never really got any clear answers. I mean, I've had a broken arm, so I understand the process of surgery, if needed, plaster casts, time to heal, etc. But I don't understand how psychotherapy is supposed to fix a broken mind.

Also, because of the nature of it, you don't see other examples. I've sometimes wondered to psychologists, and more often to myself, am I doing this right? Am I engaging with this process properly? Should I being saying/doings things differently? Is what I'm saying/doing getting me the best out of this limited process?

I've often thought to myself that I'd love to be a fly on the wall of someone else's therapy sessions, so that I can see a therapist and client doing psychotherapy 'properly' so that I can better understand the process more generally but also more specifically my role in it, what should I be talking about, what should I be addressing?

Basically, I wanted to learn how can I get the most out of this process so I can fully participate to the best of my ability, because I want to get better*, because I don't want to live like this. I wanted to be a fly on the wall in someone else's therapy sessions, because I wanted to see other people doing it properly so that I would know what to do, how best to engage in the process so as to get the most out of it.

And when I say that I want to get better, I used to think that maybe if I just took enough antidepressants, that would fix me, or if only I could do a full course of psychotherapy sessions without dropping out, because I'd got a new job and was too scared to ask a new boss for time off for weekly medical appointments. For years I thought if only I could access the treatment I needed and complete it, then I'd be able to get better, as in I'd be sort of 'cured'.

But then a couple of years ago my psychologist wrote a letter in which she stated that she believed I would have lifelong issues. So I was kind of crushed to think I would never get cured-better - that was a shock and a massive blow! - but at least I might be able to get a-bit-better-better.

There's so much mystique around psychotherapy, the different types of therapy, ie psychodynamic therapy, cognitive behavioural, EMDR, etc.

How do they all work? Do they work? Even if they do work, what does the patient need to do to make them work, to make the treatments as effective as possible?

So for people to be scornful, to be scoffing about someone being open and honest about his mental health journey is a bit disappointing tbh. Wealth and privilege is no protection, no shield, from psychological trauma.

I'm actually glad that someone of his stature, albeit coming from such a dysfunctional family - also a bloke, also an army veteran who saw active service - is being so open and honest about his struggles with his mental health, and now going even further and opening up part of that process, providing hopefully valuable insights and understanding.

I know it's a bit trite, but lots of people have started saying 'It's okay to not be okay' but that will only be true if that also - or maybe even especially - applies to people in the public eye, who are wealthy and privileged, the kind of people who are struggling despite all that.

Because psychological trauma really can happen to anyone, and when it does it blights your life, your relationships (family, friends, work, all of them), your physical health, your ability to work, your ability to function, every aspect of your life. And it's not to be mocked.

I hope he manages to create more understanding and awareness about PTSD and the therapies and treatments available, and I hope that will translate into those services becoming more accessible, better funded, and for people - the medical professionals and the public - to start thinking more about mental health on a par with physical health.

If someone's leg is broken, you don't expect them to wait three years before they receive treatment for it. I was on an NHS waiting list for three years for EMDR therapy for my broken mind. Those kinds of disparities need to be addressed and fixed. And so if a high profile prince shining a light on the inner workings of therapy can have any impact on that, then I'm all for it.

I read the book and watched the Netflix documentary after reading the book, to get a more rounded view and I have to say, it's hard not to empathise with them. The monarchy is a fucked up, corrupt, media obsessed institution. They want to project an image and seem to get rattled by insiders not doing what they're told or struggling to fit in.

It was very enlightening, because Harry does like to overshare, and some of it is pretty bad. The way the family dealt with his mother's death was very traumatising, from a child's perspective.

I read the book and watched the Netflix documentary after reading the book, to get a more rounded view and I have to say, it's hard not to empathise with them. The monarchy is a fucked up, corrupt, media obsessed institution. They want to project an image and seem to get rattled by insiders not doing what they're told or struggling to fit in.

It was very enlightening, because Harry does like to overshare, and some of it is pretty bad. The way the family dealt with his mother's death was very traumatising, from a child's perspective.
Absolutely. He's obviously still deeply traumatised by his mum's death and the way he was thrust into the spotlight, having to hide his feelings of grief at the age of 12. Making him walk behind his mum's coffin in the full glare of the media was terribly cruel.

If you're trying to escape the media and the public eye... then maybe, oh I dunno, don't make a £50m Netflix series (ie, the same people who make the Crown) all about yourselves, do 'tell-all' interviews about how awful the British media is with no actual substance and publish a best-selling book full of holes complaining about how the media is so intrusive. Just enjoy the money you've been gifted by us, enjoy the £14m mansion you've got and the allowance you get from Daddy's estate and leave it at that.

I honestly don't think the media or public gives a flying fuck about them anymore but they seem desperate to stay in the public eye. Which is pretty awful to watch. Like a coked up dick at a house party who doesn't get the hint that maybe it's time to hit the road.

Selling your 'trauma' online for $34 a head is crass beyond parody. I despise the monarchy btw. But these parasites are no better.

Have you read his book?

I have. He didn't complain about the accommodation not being fit for someone of his standing at all. That's another lie the media have told about him. I'm absolutely not a royalist, and there are parts of the book that are really annoying because of Harry's lack of understanding of how privileged he is, but the press have been absolutely vile towards him and his wife. And now that he's exposed some of what he's been through at their hands, they're attacking him even more and telling lies about what he's put in his book, which people who haven't read it seem to believe.

After reading his book, I feel even more convinced that monarchy is a ridiculous institution. Their lives are a mixture of privilege and awfulness. The real power is with the "men in grey suits" as Diana used to call them.

With you on the monarchy being a waste of space.

I read his book too. And I actually felt he was not treated well by the media and royal press officers. And indeed his family. I think they are all cracked and narcissistic. Living in a horrible atmosphere where their every move is scrutinised.

But I do think he needs to sit back and let life happen. Get some quiet time and live a private life. That's what he said he wanted. He should get on with it.

I get a sense he feels its his mission to shine a light on it so things can change. Who knows, maybe they will. I have my fingers crossed that he will help bring the monarchy down 😉 (unintentionally)

I get a sense he feels its his mission to shine a light on it so things can change. Who knows, maybe they will. I have my fingers crossed that he will help bring the monarchy down 😉 (unintentionally)

If rumours are to be believed he is the least problematic of the whole bunch.
Wills allegedly has a mistress and Kate is pretty pissed off.
Nobody wants to sing for Chucky III at his coronation party.
Camilla wants to be Queen..not queen consort as Elizabeth 2 wanted. Andy is well...nonce and pedo.

They're all shite.
Harry is probably the most "normal" whatever normal might be.
He just needs to take a step back and let the lot of them implode.

Camilla wants to be Queen..not queen consort as Elizabeth 2 wanted. Andy is well...nonce and pedo.

They're all shite.
If you could make that scan or rhyme it'd be really good

They're all shite.
but what about Anne?

I guess it was inevitable that the publisher would look for more ways to cash in on the bestselling author of 2023 so far, though it's a shame it's not a pay-per-view duel with William.

Yeah but the fact that it seems to come from jealousy of not being the heir and using it to enrich him and his equally ambitious wife kind of puts a dampener on it being a good thing.

She does, and that's not the name I recognise from previous rumours.
It's been all over the European tabloids for years. the version I heard, from someone who knew William's "other other woman" was that William's affairs, and the fact that no one did anything about them, was the thing that led Megham to decide she'd had enough of the whole shit show.
If that’s the case, good for her.

More widely regarding Harry’s trauma, trauma is a word with a wide scope these days. There’s the trauma (or trauma response) which leads to PTSD or Complex PTSD, but emotional trauma can also be any deeply distressing or upsetting experience. And it’s also in part subjective. Plus there’s a huge debate about whether “resilience” in coping with it is all it’s cracked up to be.

AnnO'Neemus thanks for sharing. EMDR is an odd one - it seems to work but it’s not really understood why. And many therapies do have a good evidence base for trauma, but the evidence base for psychological therapies with neurodivergent people is much thinner.

Yeah but the fact that it seems to come from jealousy of not being the heir and using it to enrich him and his equally ambitious wife kind of puts a dampener on it being a good thing.
I don't know that it's jealousy. Doesn't come across that way. As for making money, well, I guess he has to keep his lifestyle somehow, plus he feels there is a real threat to his life. Security costs money. And therapy 😉

Also, Megham was really treated horribly by the media, and by social media. Even the perception that's she's somewhat more ambitious and less worthy than Kate.

I don't know that it's jealousy. Doesn't come across that way. As for making money, well, I guess he has to keep his lifestyle somehow, plus he feels there is a real threat to his life. Security costs money. And therapy 😉

In the book he goes into a lot of detail about how he felt they were left high and dry minus security.
And I guess that must have been scary for a guy who has security all his life because of who he is.
I can't see him ever being on good terms with Charles or William again. His family fucked him off...

But...on the other hand he has a very privileged life still and if he truly wants privacy then he should make like he wants it...instead of having his face everywhere giving interviews and getting paid to talk about the trauma of being the spare. Nobody can really relate to his position. And sympathy will run out.

In the book he goes into a lot of detail about how he felt they were left high and dry minus security.
And I guess that must have been scary for a guy who has security all his life because of who he is.
I can't see him ever being on good terms with Charles or William again. His family fucked him off...

But...on the other hand he has a very privileged life still and if he truly wants privacy then he should make like he wants it...instead of having his face everywhere giving interviews and getting paid to talk about the trauma of being the spare. Nobody can really relate to his position. And sympathy will run out.
Yes, it's running out already. If I was them I'd lay low for a bit!

In the documentary they do a good job of showing a sense of terror, of being unprotected and hunted by the media, and especially when Meghan was going through it, he felt it was his fault and he had to do something to protect her.

Megan's mum, who seems to be a really nice person, also talks about her worries and fears quite eloquently in the documentary. I can see why they did it, as a record of their perspective, because all we had before was other people's opinions and (mis) interpretations. It seems only fair they wanted their side to be heard. I'd want that too if I was them.

Last edited:
Everything Harry does seems to be guided by what Diana experienced, how she was treated. It feels like he's carrying that too and trying to put it right. He often says he feels her next to him.

Yes, it's running out already. If I was them I'd lay low for a bit!

In the documentary they do a good job of showing a sense of terror, of being unprotected and hunted by the media, and especially when Meghan was going through it, he felt it was his fault and he had to do something to protect her.

Megan's mum, who seems to be a really nice person, also talks about her worries and fears quite eloquently in the documentary. I can see why they did it, as a record of their perspective, because all we had before was other people's opinions and (mis) interpretations. It seems only fair they wanted their side to be heard. I'd want that too if I was them.

I'd want the £50m too for telling it.

I don't know how they manage. I mean, they don't really even need security anymore but to expect the British taxpayer to foot the bill? Fuck off Harry and Meg.

Meghan described how her attempt to be tactile and hug Kate was met with horror. That the formality isn't just for the outside world, that the hierarchy is strict and on at all times. A clash of cultures, small things become big things. A really stifling a controlled environment. The tried to talk to the Queen many times, but access to her was also controlled. Like the monarchy is ran by the men in suits and their concerns weren't heard.

Everything Harry does seems to be guided by what Diana experienced, how she was treated. It feels like he's carrying that too and trying to put it right. He often says he feels her next to him.

If we accept that Diana was hounded to death by the press, why has Harry chosen to spend his life whoring himself out to the media in increasingly sad and desperate ways?

Back
Top Bottom