Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Possible vaccines/treatment(s) for Coronavirus

Hi LynnDoyleCooper, I might be taking up resources from others who really need it - you are right though if I had had it before I would be in that queue already.
I'm pretty sure they've budgeted for everyone getting it or something like. Also, the speed they do the injections in these mass inoculation drives means you'll only be taking up seconds of their time. Despite the 15-20 minutes in the queue, I was probably in the room where I got the shot for 30 seconds.

I'm pretty sure they've budgeted for everyone getting it or something like. Also, the speed they do the injections in these mass inoculation drives means you'll only be taking up seconds of their time. Despite the 15-20 minutes in the queue, I was probably in the room where I got the shot for 30 seconds.
My GP's had timed appointments (to allow for cleaning - but I didn't touch ouwt, not even the door handle), left open for ventilation) plus masks, sanitizer etc - They were allowing 3 - 5 minutes per person from entering to exiting - including the walks to the injection stations [the extra was if someone was getting the pneumonia jab at the same time]

Typically half arsed plans in terms of vaccine 'passports'. When vaccinated you will get a card to carry, lacking any personal information so of little practical use as a passport to go into gigs, get flights etc. Essentially, little more than a reminder to get the 2nd dose.
Covid vaccine card: What the NHS vaccination cards will say, and latest on the issue of 'immunity passports' (inews.co.uk)
Beyond that the government not looking likely to introduce official passports but, you guessed it, leaving it to the private sector.

I do get the irony of me, an anarchist, annoyed about the government not introducing something with some of the elements of an identity card. But if people have nothing other than a depersonalised card saying they've had the vaccine + venues champing at the bit to open up, there's potential for people who haven't had the vaccine to use their mates card etc.

I do have a feeling (I wonder why? :hmm: ) that the gov still doesn't really know how it's going to get the Pfizer out to people given the freezing issues. I would not be wildly suprised to see 1000s of shots lost to miscalculation in the coming weeks.

This is why I believe the Oxford vaccine is probably what most people will get. 40 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine cost the government £800 million.
100 million AstraZenecia is half that and you don’t need special equipment apart from a working fridge. Also being produced in the uk.
Quite a lot of talk regarding how long we are immune to this virus but there is evidence is quite a long time. Antibodies aren’t the only defence mechanism we have
Why do we develop lifelong immunity to some diseases, but not others?

I appreciate there is still a very long way to go, but the news of these vaccinations taking place today, well, it's the best thing I have heard in months. I so want to give my mum & mother in law a hug, seeing M-I-L through a window since February has been so shit, really had enough now, so this glimmer of hope is unbelievably welcome and those boffs who've come up with these vaccines so quickly are gods.

So pleased that the first jabs have been done, even if it was at half-past silly o'clock this morning.

Fingers n toes crossed that the rollout proceeds without any hitches.

Plus that the next candidate vaxx gets approved sooner rather than later ...

Quite a lot of talk regarding how long we are immune to this virus but there is evidence is quite a long time. Antibodies aren’t the only defence mechanism we have
Why do we develop lifelong immunity to some diseases, but not others?
There is no evidence that it is any longer than about 8-9 months right now in some subjects, because that's as long as it has been studied (longitudinal studies are ongoing). The research cited in the Guardian highlights the shortcomings of many vaccine techniques and platforms (compared to the natural infection cycle) which were touched on much further up thread. It's hypothesised to be about (up to) a year (in healthy individuals) but expected to vary widely from person to person (based on work on similar coronaviridae).

IIRC antibodies for coronas decline pretty quickly so any vaccine will have to stimulate other aspects of the immune system?

There is increasing focus on T lymphocytes, CD4+ and CD8+ T cells, and the expression of interferon gamma.

Any idea on whether this COVID-19 vaccine will work on colds? Given that many colds are caused by other coronas. It would be fantastic if it did

Most colds are rhinoviruses, they give the classic mega snot colds. I think coronas only cause about 10% of them, and are more commonly mistaken for flu (fever, coughs etc)

Most colds are rhinoviruses, they give the classic mega snot colds. I think coronas only cause about 10% of them, and are more commonly mistaken for flu (fever, coughs etc)

Due to a relative lack of surveillance, data and historical interest, I think the possible percentage range is quite broad. Sometimes I see 10-15% mentioned as being down to coronaviruses, sometimes 15-30%, sometimes even higher. I think they are fairly confident that rhinoviruses account for up to 50% of colds, but some studies I looked at said that the cause of about 30% of colds is unknown (quite probably viruses we havent yet identified, or issues with tests not always picking up known viruses).

I think two of the four existing known human coronaviruses that have been placed under 'the common cold' are alphacoronaviruses and the other 2 are betacoronaviruses. The pandemic coronavirus is a betacoronavirus.

Hopefully more attention will be paid to this area in future as a result of this pandemic.

I think what's needed now is guidance spelling out 'Ok, now granny's been vaccinated what does this actually mean?' Because a lot of people are going to assume they are now fine to interact with her as normal but it isn't that simple.

Yes, given we are still looking at months of restrictions of varying types a clear message does need to be communicated beyond everyone still needs to be vigilant.

I think what's needed now is guidance spelling out 'Ok, now granny's been vaccinated what does this actually mean?' Because a lot of people are going to assume they are now fine to interact with her as normal but it isn't that simple.

Once we get beyond 50% of the population vaccinated it will be that simple. I'd like everyone to get vaccinated and end wild c-19 but cowards are going to perpetuate the problem.

The paper essentially confirms that information that has already been placed in the public domain via press release. Pretty efficacious from a disease immunity point of view, and fairly safe. Confidence intervals are quite large though and there is, as was suggested, a paucity of information on performance in older cohorts and various ethnic groups. Also no convincing data on transmission limiting potential (to be established in future analyses). Probably sufficient to gain emergency use approval from regulators.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom