Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Possible vaccines/treatment(s) for Coronavirus

They'll still need to pick the correct lineages/subtypes for the formulation. However, the mRNA vaccine production process may help shorten production time such that that decision can be made late enough to be better targeted (currently those decisions are made ~9 months prior to the relevant flu season; 6 months or so before they start administering them).

They'll still need to pick the correct lineages/subtypes for the formulation. However, the mRNA vaccine production process may help shorten production time such that that decision can be made late enough to be better targeted (currently those decisions are made ~9 months prior to the relevant flu season; 6 months or so before they start administering them).
Theres also the egg-based mutation problem with the traditional vaccines. I havent studied this in extreme detail and have forgotten the extent to which mitigation against this problem has already been successful. I know the UK switched to a different vaccine for older people some years back, though I havent seen enough data about how much difference its made.

Anything that helps against H3N2 in particular could do a lot of good.

eg here is one paper about the problem:

So my symptoms have worsened.
I hung on for the past week waiting for a positive antigen test.
I go nowhere...the only people I met in the past 10 to 14 days are my parents (both of whom are positive for covid)
And I am pretty sure this is covid. So why is it not showing on the antigen test?
I have lost my sense of smell this morning. Sore scratchy throat. Feel tired and head is foggy. Metallic taste in my mouth.

Anyone know if being on steroids and immunosuppressants can actually mask covid?
i google it and ot get stuff about masks..

Nobody is doing pcr tests around here. And even if I could get one today I would be waiting til next week for news.

So I started the paxlovid. I am 5 days in for symptoms and it was a case of start now or maybe regret not starting it later

Eta. The gp phoned and said symptoms in my case indicated covid and I have to say that after 2 doses of paxlovid my symptoms are easing. Just very very tired.

Last edited:
And I am pretty sure this is covid. So why is it not showing on the antigen test?

The false negative rate for the antigen tests seems quite high.
In people with confirmed COVID-19, antigen tests correctly identified COVID-19 infection in an average of 73% of people with symptoms, compared to 55% of people without symptoms. Tests were most accurate when used in the first week after symptoms began (an average of 82% of confirmed cases had positive antigen tests). This is likely to be because people have the most virus in their system in the first days after they are infected.

Back
Top Bottom