Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Photo ID now a requirement to vote in the UK

So I wouldn't be surprised if many people are caught out. Who'd have predicted that.Not heard any discussion of this on LBC or the like.
I think many will.

The photo requirements are quite specific. Will many people be willing to piddle about resizing digital snaps of their face just to make them fit the right size? It's one thing getting a passport ID, the machine does it all for you.

Obviously the people who will be affected most will be poorer and browner than average. However, what we're going to hear about most are older white folks who haven't got the message and are prevented from voting.

I wonder if there will be at least some unintended consequences from this

I wonder if there will be at least some unintended consequences from this

I can remember David Dimbleby on election night (I forget which one) declaring "it's an absolute disgrace" when people in the queues outside polling stations at closing time were told to go home, and I would imagine similar this time.

I've just had a letter from the council about this (we have local elections here this May) which presumably got sent to everyone currently on the electoral register here, and there was a general "check & update who is registered to vote from this address" letter a few months before that.

It mentions Voter Authority Certificates but helpfully doesn't say where or how to apply for one. It also says you don't need photo ID to vote by post, and goes on to explain how to do that. Wonder how many people are just going to apply for a postal vote instead of faffing around trying to get ID sorted.

I just applied for my voter ID certificate. Takes less than 5 minutes & all you need is name, address & NI number along with a recent passport style digital photo.

Get it by 25th April deadline for the local elections in May from here.

An expired passport can be used for ID as long as the photo still looks like you. Mine was issued last century so the photo is a bit old & went for the above as it is free & will be useful to have valid photo ID which has been a pain in the arse since 2006 for me.

Applied for postal vote during Covid, so. hopefully, still got that rather than have to bumble my way thru all that red tape.

Perhaps I had better check. although I don't think we've any elections this time around.

Applied for postal vote during Covid, so. hopefully, still got that rather than have to bumble my way thru all that red tape.

Perhaps I had better check. although I don't think we've any elections this time around.
You have to specify for ALL or the NEXT election, whether that is local or national.

If you don't recall, give them a call.

My postal vote poll card arrived last week. Voting papers will arrive soon I imagine.

Fuck this anti-democratic bullshit. What's the best way to make a scene about this travesty?

I still want to vote spunking cock but I'll be using my bus pass as ID, in the hope it causes a row with someone who doesn't realise it's allowed
I'll certainly be carrying my driving licence, but it's one of the old paper ones.

Fuck this anti-democratic bullshit. What's the best way to make a scene about this travesty?
It's not us who need to do it.
It's the 13 million useful idiots and worse who repeatedly vote (or those who don't vote at all for various reasons) for this shit.
I suspect everyone is so broken that no one wants to inconvenience their neighbours.
But during big protests in London when maybe a million turned out, it always struck me that they should have been much bigger - if only people just stepped out onto the street all at once.

Last edited:
I'm in Bristol, but if I go out for a bike ride I'm in Mogg's constituency within half an hour.
I wonder what it would take to re-register in BANES prior to emigrating to France ... since I will apparently be able to vote from there - but not even for the local council in France unless I learn enough French history to get citizenship.

Last week our local election poll cards came with a long list of acceptable forms of identification,We have none so therfore have decided to apply to vote by post,,Just have to get an application form now,Oh how the demigods make you jump through hoops,so you can exercise your democratic right.

I still want to vote spunking cock but I'll be using my bus pass as ID, in the hope it causes a row with someone who doesn't realise it's allowed
Yeah, just wondering whether to bother sorting postal vote just to put none of the above/badly drawn spunking cock. I probably should.

I'm seriously considering not voting this time round (think that would be the first time except for the police commissioner bollocks when i have spoiled paper)

partly against the voter suppression (i do have a driving licence and passport but)

don't see the point at going and annoying the poll clerks on duty in the same way that i don't shout at the checkout assistant if supermarket has run out of something or has put the price up...

partly complete lack of enthusiasm for any of the parties on offer

council seat where i live is fairly solid lib dem now, council is lib dem led minority administration (with labour support) - council is usually tory, lib dems have had a minority administration a couple of times.

meh

I'm seriously considering not voting this time round (think that would be the first time except for the police commissioner bollocks when i have spoiled paper)

partly against the voter suppression (i do have a driving licence and passport but)

don't see the point at going and annoying the poll clerks on duty in the same way that i don't shout at the checkout assistant if supermarket has run out of something or has put the price up...

partly complete lack of enthusiasm for any of the parties on offer

council seat where i live is fairly solid lib dem now, council is lib dem led minority administration (with labour support) - council is usually tory, lib dems have had a minority administration a couple of times.

meh

The voter ID law is election rigging. All who take part in the running of a rigged election are fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Although my plan so far is turn up, refuse to show ID, complain loudly then walk off in a performative huff. So the poll clerks will probably survive that.

Yep, I'm genuinely looking forward to turning up at the polling station to be turned away.

Show up with your voting card, when they demand photo id claim to have none and can’t be fucked to make a second journey. Screw up voting card and lob it in their general direction whilst muttering shit about gerrymandering Tories and go home/pub.

I haven't read any of this thread.

I work in local govt. Get a postal vote, no photo ID needed.
Do it now, though. And say you want a postal vote for all elections, not just this one.

A lot of young Scots will have the national entitlement card for free bus travel, but aye it's shite. The national entitlement card is a faff to get, a lot of people gave up because it was too hard. They don't let you use an abbreviated birth certificate so you have to buy a full one from Scotland's People!

Back
Top Bottom