Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pedestrian jailed for causing death of cyclist

Utter nonsense. She was attacked. Why would she have stopped? If some nutter starts waving their arms at you, the correct thing to do is speed up (not that she did either). From the film she was attacked pretty much from the side and moving slow enough that her bike reversed as it fell.
I get that. But I still have some sympathy with a blind disabled woman trying to use a pavement when cyclists are on it. Not that I condone what she did. But a prison sentence doesn't help anyone.

Last edited:
“She shouldn’t have been there” is what people also say about domestic abuse, rape and random murders. So let’s not add “cycling and minding her own fucking business” to the list of things people can’t do.
I'm sure lots of people bear some responsibility for their own murder by being involved in drugs gangs for example.

Is it a cycling thing? Because regardless of whether I agree with the sentence I don't see how the woman who died could have behaved any better. Unless you just think all cyclists are vermin or something, in which case you're part of the problem.
I don't think that. But I do think that if you are gong to ride on the pavement you need to crawl along at walking pace. Personally I wouldn't allow it at all. I'd say that if people are too scared to ride on the road they should get off and push.

I don't think that. But I do think that if you are gong to ride on the pavement you need to crawl along at walking pace. Personally I wouldn't allow it at all. I'd say that if people are too scared to ride on the road they should get off and push.
It was a cycle path. You tend to get a lot of abuse off drivers if you use a road next to a cycle path (even when it's a shit one or full of broken glass).

She was.
The poor woman died and you're taking the piss.
Checking your other posts, maybe you were just lying low...

She was.
The poor woman died and you're taking the piss.
Checking your other posts, maybe you were just lying low...
I'm not taking the piss. And I'm sorry for what happened. I just think it's inevitable that these things will happen if you cycle on the pavement. It shouldn't be allowed. And shouldn't be necessary with proper infrastructure.

its not a question of being scared. Some roads are entirely unsuitable for cycling. Some roads don't allow cycling. some pavement based cycle routes join up with the wider cycle network and may not allow direct access to the adjacent road due to a barrier.

Cyclists get a lot of shit for not wearing helmets and for not using cycle lanes - and can be the target for abuse - I know I have been. But weighing up risk is something we all have to do and if its choice between heavy traffic and a legal cycle path which may be on the pavement, even if the cycle path is of poor quality, its better than ending up in hospital.

And nobody should be judgemental about anyone wanting to avoid cycling in traffic like this, for example:
iu
iu

Last edited:
its not a question of being scared. Some roads are entirely unsuitable for cycling. Some roads don't allow cycling. some pavement based cycle routes join up with the wider cycle network and may not allow direct access to the adjacent road due to a barrier.

And nobody should be judgemental about anyone wanting to avoid cycling in traffic like this, for example:
iu
iu
Yeah. They should make she cycle routes. Where they are none cyclists should take their chances or get off and walk.

And shouldn't be necessary with proper infrastructure.

You know cyclists have been campaigning for proper infrastructure for over 50 years now and our car obsessed society doesn't consider it a priority. In fact in recent years where decent infrastructure has been provided car groups, taxi driver groups, businesses and media all do everything they can to get it ripped out again, and often they succeed.

You know cyclists have been campaigning for proper infrastructure for over 50 years now and our car obsessed society doesn't consider it a priority. In fact in recent years where decent infrastructure has been provided car groups, taxi driver groups, businesses and media all do everything they can to get it ripped out again, and often they succeed.
Yes. I think that's a shame. Cyclists need safer facilities.

Do you think cyclists shouldn't cycle in places where they're legally allowed to cycle? Cause that's just bananas. You're a fruitcake.
I think cyclists shouldn't be allowed to share space with pedestrians and that they shouldn't have to share spaces with cars.

Back
Top Bottom