Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pedestrian jailed for causing death of cyclist

I think I've realised what you are questioning here actually.

So the thing is that you cannot tell the intention of the cyclist from the sound of their bell.

If you don't need to do anything for them to come past then surely they are just letting you know they are coming past as advised by the highway code and generally by councils and the canal trust because people have asked for that.

Otherwise you're trying to judge between a polite "excuse me please" and a rude "get out of my way" and the only basis you gave for that is your own belief of the other person's intention.

So the thing is that you cannot tell the intention of the cyclist from the sound of their bell.

If you don't need to do anything for them to come past then surely they are just letting you know they are coming past as advised by the highway code and generally by councils and the canal trust because people have asked for that.

Otherwise you're trying to judge between a polite "excuse me please" and a rude "get out of my way" and the only basis you gave for that is your own belief of the other person's intention.
The end result is one angry bloke who is choosing to be angry, so no loss to anyone else, I'll keep tinkling away.

What I’m saying is that you are intruding into my conversation or my thoughts, and for what, exactly? Why are you so damned important that I have to give my attention to you rather than what I was doing? THAT’S what is rude about it — that demand for attention. It’s a countryside walk, not a highway.

Anyway, I shall leave it there. I don’t expect to change the mind of people who see nothing wrong in ringing their bell behind pedestrians. I just wanted to present the view from the other side of it.

Rule 112, in full:

112. The horn​

Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence.

Never sound your horn aggressively. You must not use your horn:

• while stationary on the road
  • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am, except when another road user poses a danger
Is that how car drivers use it? No. So why should I interpret bell users as being any more compliant? Particularly when evidence abounds of bells being used as a high-minded “keep out of my way”.

I am walking in the countryside for a bit of peace and tranquillity. I don’t need to constantly hear bicycle bells just because you want to go faster than me.

You wanted people to follow the highway code, cyclists using the bell to let other people know they are there is exactly what the highway code says to do.

What I’m saying is that you are intruding into my conversation or my thoughts, and for what, exactly? Why are you so damned important that I have to give my attention to you rather than what I was doing? THAT’S what is rude about it — that demand for attention. It’s a countryside walk, not a highway.

Anyway, I shall leave it there. I don’t expect to change the mind of people who see nothing wrong in ringing their bell behind pedestrians. I just wanted to present the view from the other side of it.

Ok that's fine but just understand that other people want cyclists to use their bell to let them know they are there and coming past in any circumstances, and for a cyclist there is no way of telling whether the person you are coming up to is someone like you or someone who wants them to ring their bell.

Last edited:
Yeah, they won’t do that to the 6’ plus bloke and/or the cyclist who really is cycling in an intimidating or arsehole-ish way. They do it to those who aren’t actually causing a problem and who often have lived experience of this sort of shit in other areas of life.

And/or plain misogyny :mad:
Yeah, my wife gets tons more abuse than me on the bike, it's shocking. I think its an ego/power thing, they get off on intimidating someone.

I've seen lycra lout strava dads using their bell to mean 'I'm coming past you in a second and I'm not going to slow down' rather than 'excuse me please'. On one occasion I was out with a group of schoolkids on bikes, who were just not going fast enough for the shrink-wrapped arsehole in question. He kept frantically ringing his bell and shouting 'cyclist coming past!' as if all the other people on bikes in front of him didn't count as cyclists because they were actually enjoying themselves and their outfits weren't painted on. I shooed the kids over to one side and then sped up to follow the guy and tell him that a bell is not a substitute for brakes on a shared path and nobody else gave a shit about his pathetic fucking time trial.

It’s a countryside walk, not a highway.
Your countryside walk may be someone else's commute? Why should they accept more than reasonable inconvenience because you don't want to share the space? Even if they're just out for a fun ride why should they? Why not try a cheery greeting rather than grumbling, they might be friendlier next time.

I've seen lycra lout strava dads using their bell to mean 'I'm coming past you in a second and I'm not going to slow down' rather than 'excuse me please'. On one occasion I was out with a group of schoolkids on bikes, who were just not going fast enough for the shrink-wrapped arsehole in question. He kept frantically ringing his bell and shouting 'cyclist coming past!' as if all the other people on bikes in front of him didn't count as cyclists because they were actually enjoying themselves and their outfits weren't painted on. I shooed the kids over to one side and then sped up to follow the guy and tell him that a bell is not a substitute for brakes on a shared path and nobody else gave a shit about his pathetic fucking time trial.
Some people are dicks, that's for sure.
But just from a bell ring? You can't tell.

I am walking in the countryside for a bit of peace and tranquillity. I don’t need to constantly hear bicycle bells just because you want to go faster than me.

Perhaps you'd prefer the sound of car engines instead. People have to get places.

If I'm walking on a shared path I just stick to one side of it. You hear a lot fewer bells that way, oddly enough.

Some people are dicks, that's for sure.
But just from a bell ring? You can't tell.

Well no and in the case above it was a lot of ringing and a lot of shouting to go with it. That's actually very unusual. It's mostly understood by all parties that a bell should be a polite request to move aside, that a cyclist should be moving at a speed that actually gives walkers time to move aside and allows them to stop in plenty of time if someone doesn't hear the bell for whatever reason.

Most of my cycle commute is a shared path. Problems are vanishingly rare. When I do the same journey on roads in a car, there's some dangerous fuckery from another driver more often than not. The worst I see from cyclists on the roads is them putting their front light on flash and angling it upwards, which I find very annoying but which is at least non-fatal. Haven't seen a cyclist jump a red light since, well last time I was in London so three years ago now.

Perhaps you'd prefer the sound of car engines instead. People have to get places.

If I'm walking on a shared path I just stick to one side of it. You hear a lot fewer bells that way, oddly enough.
Doesn't apply to the canal paths in London. Along Regent's Canal, they're very narrow along much of the way and there are also plenty of other pedestrians to negotiate. I don't think there is any way to cycle along there that won't affect pedestrians at all.

And sometimes you want to enjoy the space around you, go and look at what the coots are doing, or whatever. Some shared paths are best avoided by bikes.

I am considering starting to use my bell for turning into side streets when there’s a pedestrian who could step out the second I turn, given (and as much as I try to avoid generalisations) hardly anybody checks for the clearly indicating cyclist before stepping out if they can’t hear engine noise. On quiet streets it’s an annoyance, but when turning off busy roads it can significantly increase the risk to the cyclist. :mad:
You are meant to give way to them - see H2 here The Highway Code changes for 2022: are you aware of the new rules? - Which? News

You give way to them once they’ve stepped out yes, because you’re hardly going to plough into them. That link says nothing though about cycles giving way to pedestrians who haven’t started to cross yet at junctions. Happy to be corrected if you can find the change that says that it applies to cycles/peds though.

But it’s also just sensible and courteous to wait 10 more seconds on a safe pavement (much safer than walking straight into a road without looking certainly) than expect a cycle to wait those 10 seconds or much longer stopped in the middle of the road with cars behind and beside them. Though I don’t think they are expecting me to wait, they just haven’t bothered checking my existence. So it’s quite fortunate I am anticipating it and not riding like a dickhead.

Also have to say, I don’t think most car drivers have got that memo about giving way to waiting pedestrians - there’s still an expectation that you should wait for them.

Edit: ok I’ve reread it and you’re right. As a ped though I’m still never going to expect that a cyclist should stop before turning from a busy main road into a quiet one so I can cross 5 seconds earlier, whilst having the option to wait safely.

Last edited:
Cyclists always have to assume that everyone hasn't seen them, until evidence is provided otherwise. I've no problem with being belled at by a cyclist who's turning. Cars beeping their horns in the same situation is more annoying - yes, I know, fuck off! :D

I'm a bit like maomao as a cyclist in that I used to positively enjoy the danger of cycling around London. Not so much nowadays. And I'm sure I'm much less of a twat than I used to be. (I try to remember when teenagers cut me up that I did that sort of thing, too, at their age.)

You give way to them once they’ve stepped out yes, because you’re hardly going to plough into them. That link says nothing though about cycles giving way to pedestrians who haven’t started to cross yet at junctions. Happy to be corrected if you can find the change that says that it applies to cycles/peds though.

But it’s also just sensible and courteous to wait 10 more seconds on a safe pavement (much safer than walking straight into a road without looking certainly) than expect a cycle to wait those 10 seconds or much longer stopped in the middle of the road with cars behind and beside them. Though I don’t think they are expecting me to wait, they just haven’t bothered checking my existence. So it’s quite fortunate I am anticipating it and not riding like a dickhead.

Also have to say, I don’t think most car drivers have got that memo about giving way to waiting pedestrians - there’s still an expectation that you should wait for them.

Edit: ok I’ve reread it and you’re right. As a ped though I’m still never going to expect that a cyclist should stop before turning from a busy main road into a quiet one so I can cross 5 seconds earlier, whilst having the option to wait safely.
I agree that the law change does not seem sensible. As a pedestrian I’m not going to walk in front of oncoming traffic just because the Highway Code says I have priority. As a driver, are you expected to give way to someone who might potentially be thinking about crossing or thinking sensibly that they are not going to walk in front of oncoming traffic. The law change seems quite dangerous to me.

I agree that the law change does not seem sensible. As a pedestrian I’m not going to walk in front of oncoming traffic just because the Highway Code says I have priority. As a driver, are you expected to give way to someone who might potentially be thinking about crossing or thinking sensibly that they are not going to walk in front of oncoming traffic. The law change seems quite dangerous to me.
Reads to me like the intention here is more to change the behaviour of drivers rather than that of pedestrians. The change in the law makes it much more clearly the driver's fault for running someone over when turning. That aspect of it is sensible imo. Cars are dangerous to other people. Pedestrians aren't .

You mean the people who have priority on that path over you? Yes, how terrible of them to not rush out of your way, because your progress is so terribly important.

Look, I try and give space to everyone when I’m a pedestrian and a cyclist (I’m a soft cyclist I haven’t ridden since August ffs so I’m not jumping about town shouting through red lights on the reg here) when using shared spaces and paths so how’s about a little less outrage and just let me bitch about things without assuming I’m a total cunt.

People not paying attention is just as fucking annoying when I’m on foot and they amble about taking up all the fucking space on this country’s shitting shitty crumbling infrastructure.

The previous rule meant you had to guess if someone was actually going to step out or not, it's easier to tell if someone is wanting to cross so it makes the situation better.

Yeah, I’ve just gone into a mini Highway Code rabbit hole :oops: and this is the way the junction thing is described for peds:

At a junction. When you are crossing or waiting to cross the road, other traffic should give way. Look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you, and cross at a place where drivers can see you. If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way (see Rules H2 and 170).
And of course, once a ped is actually on the road then anyone in the traffic who thinks they should maintain priority shouldn’t BE on the road. But giving priority for those who are waiting is certainly not the case for busy junctions though, both those with traffic lights and those without (usually desperately in need of them).

And I did also note the code says that peds should stop and look before crossing ;)

I don't have a bell on my bike, people just ignore them anyway. I have to avoid pedestrians stepping out in front of me all the time, even when they see me coming.

It’s the “Slow down where necessary” bit that I’m querying.

Remember: this began in response to a poster mocking pedestrians that hadn’t got out of his way until his third bell ring, at which point they had to pull themselves over to the edge of a narrow path to get out of his way.

Is that slowing down and using the bell as a courtesy? Or is it using the bell to say, “get out of my way and get out of it now”?

By the time I’m near them I’m basically stopped you indignant bell end. I’m not blasting through them.

It’s possible to y’know be annoyed and still not act like a dick, you should practice it

Really, everyone just needs to be aware of their surroundings, be thoughtful of the ways various road users can be vulnerable and act accordingly, have a bit more empathy for each other and regularly sit down for a nice cup of tea*. :)

*though not in the middle of the road
The beatles took this a step further

As a pedestrian on a path, why on Earth should I give mind to somebody ringing a bell at me from behind? Not only do I have legal right of way, but I also have the moral right to just keep on walking. If you want to go faster than me, it’s your job to find a safe way past. I’m not going to intentionally block your path, but neither am I going to make some kind of special accommodation for you. Not even if you make noises at me. Wait until there is proper space and then pass safely.

And yes, you think it’s just you but it isn’t. When you’re walking, there’s a steady stream of cyclists and they all think they’re special. If you want to cycle somewhere without being interrupted by walkers, go cycling on a dedicated cycle trail.
I tend to use my bell to let people know I'm there, so I don't startle them, so I can pass them safely with them aware I'm doing it, so they can keep an eye on their dog or toddler, because we're sharing a space and it's better if we all try to make minimal adjustments to make sharing that space easier for everyone. You don't have to do that, but if you're a pedestrian who gives no mind at all to other users (not suggesting that you are actively blocking them, it's a very small minority, the sort I reckon are probably pricks in their cars and on bikes too) then you're actively contributing to making these shared spaces worse.

And bells would be as rude as car horns if all pedestrians had rear view mirrors they were obliged to check when walking and cyclists had to use overtaking lights. As that is ludicrous, I don't think bells are that obnoxious really.

Well that was a bizarre read. People are wound up by a silent, dangerous piece of metal giving them warning they are behind them/in their vicinity? Really?

Is it the bell that's the problem? There's millions of bikes in Asia and to my knowledge most don't have bells. Instead they rely on the rider making some vocal noise, a whistle or whatever, to warn you of any apparent danger. Nobody takes offence.

Back
Top Bottom