Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pedestrian jailed for causing death of cyclist

Yes. I think that's a shame. Cyclists need safer facilities.

A shame you say. Yeah, real shame that hundreds of cyclists are killed and injured due to lack of safe facilities while all you can offer is "get off and walk." Pardon me if i don't take you seriously.

I still think manslaughter is wrong in this case. Yes the pedestrian contributed to the accident but was a partially sighted middle aged woman born brain damaged who needs significant help in life. Councils need to consider this eventuality when shoving pedestrians and cyclists into the same thoroughfares. Tbh I always thought cyclists could go in cycle lanes or on roads. I didn’t realise they’d started designating pavements for them also.

I do think that some/many cyclists appear to think they can ride shared paths and cycle lanes at the same pace as they do on main roads, like they’re trying to get King Of The Mountain (and, btw, fuck Strava for that competitive nonsense that encourages reckless behaviour). Perhaps there should be a speed limit for these paths. There should at least be better guidance and more public awareness of it. I’m a cyclist and I’m not blaming ‘cyclists’ as they’re not an amorphous group who all behave selfishly and thoughtlessly. There is just a proportion of society as a whole that are dickheads who will do as they please without regard for how their behaviour distresses, intimidates, endangers, annoys etc other road users and pedestrians.
I don’t have a speedometer but I doubt I go more than 10mph off roads - it’s a no brainer for me, but this doesn’t seem apparent to some other road users.

I still think manslaughter is wrong in this case. Yes the pedestrian contributed to the accident but was a partially sighted middle aged woman born brain damaged who needs significant help in life. Councils need to consider this eventuality when shoving pedestrians and cyclists into the same thoroughfares. Tbh I always thought cyclists could go in cycle lanes or on roads. I didn’t realise they’d started designating pavements for them also.

Shared pavements have been around for decades. I don't know when they started but they've been a cheap tickbox exercise for councils for a long time.

I have written to my council asking for that very thing.

Well thank you. In the mean time we need to get more people out of cars and on bikes if they're able, and there are a lot of fudges and less than ideal solutions that are inevitable.

Fwiw I almost always cycle on the road just because it's fast, but I've been commuting in cities for 25 odd years and wouldn't expect or want others to have to do the same.

I do think that some/many cyclists appear to think they can ride shared paths and cycle lanes at the same pace as they do on main roads, like they’re trying to get King Of The Mountain (and, btw, fuck Strava for that competitive nonsense that encourages reckless behaviour). Perhaps there should be a speed limit for these paths. There should at least be better guidance and more public awareness of it. I’m a cyclist and I’m not blaming ‘cyclists’ as they’re not an amorphous group who all behave selfishly and thoughtlessly. There is just a proportion of society as a whole that are dickheads who will do as they please without regard for how their behaviour distresses, intimidates, endangers, annoys etc other road users and pedestrians.
I don’t have a speedometer but I doubt I go more than 10mph off roads - it’s a no brainer for me, but this doesn’t seem apparent to some other road users.
And because off road paths are crap (in many ways) i'm often just not prepared to go faster than a few mph, plus the fact that we lose our right of way at junctions, so i use the roads unless there's a really good reason. But in doing that I put myself in the line of fire from other non cycling road users who don't think i should be on the road if there are cycle lanes.

I used to cycle 15 miles to work and if i couldn't keep up a good pace then cycling would become unviable and i'd have to return to taking up space in an over crowded train or bus, or driven, adding to pollution and congestion. Society needs to recognise cycling as a benefit and reward cyclists with safe and fit for purpose routes.

Well thank you. In the mean time we need to get more people out of cars and on bikes if they're able, and there are a lot of fudges and less than ideal solutions that are inevitable.

Fwiw I almost always cycle on the road just because it's fast, but I've been commuting in cities for 25 odd years and wouldn't expect or want others to have to do the same.
The pics Jennaonthebeach put up brought up fond memories of bombing it over London bridges at 30+ mph but I wouldn't dream of cycling there now. Large parts of most towns are just completely off limits for most peoples abilities on bikes. Cycling paths of any kind are a god send.

Reactions: Cid
Shared pavements have been around for decades. I don't know when they started but they've been a cheap tickbox exercise for councils for a long time.
I’m mostly in central-centralish London which probably has better provision for cyclists or in sleepy northern town where there’s less traffic generally so not aware of what’s going on elsewhere.

The fact that this thread has veered so much from the OP is interesting.

I am only a pedestrian but I see dickish actions from other pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.

I also see a lot of sensible stuff going on. As always, the negative stuff is called out more than the positive.

Going back to the OP, it's a horrible thing that happened and the aggressor in the situation was out of order and I am sure this type of thing happens daily across the country. In this situation someone died and someone got punished for the consequences that might not have happened if they had done exactly the same thing on any other day.

My biases, but I can imagine she did that type of shouting regularly and never thought anything of it.

I swear and comment constantly at all of the people (pedestrians, cyclists, drivers) who I think are acting wrongly during my travels. There may be one day when consequences happen from that, whether it's an aggressive road rage type incident or someone reacting that causes harm or damage.

It's made me think about what I think is harmless maybe not being so harmless.
It seems to me that this is a peculiarly British problem. This sort of thing would never happen in the Netherlands...where bikes nip over pavements and go the wrong way down one way streets without other road users becoming apoplectic with rage. Here in Brazil all sorts of chaos happens and no one gets angry when they have to jump out of the way of a delivery boy on a bike...and the lycra-clad racers never seem to shout aggressively at absent-minded pedestrians. We don't seem to have much mindless vandalism...or an equivalent of the Daily Mail or a Murdoch press demonising cyclists. :confused:

It's a sad case. I suspect the judge's first instinct wasn't to throw the lady in jail...presumably they thought she might sdo the same to a 5 year old.

Reactions: Cid
Back
Top Bottom