Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Palestine solidarity demos in the UK

Yeah and quite a lot still in Trafalgar Square who are obviously staying put. It's almost a 2 centre rally.

I think this was deliberate. So many came I think I heard stewards tell people to go either way. And there was loudspeaker in Trafalgar Square so people could hear speakers.

Couldn't stay long as I'm a bit full of a cold today. There were two stages and two sets of speakers this time. They haven't done that before. Was co-organised with Stop The War Coalition, which I don't think has happened before.

Hard to estimate numbers. Pretty big, not on the scale of the huge one. Maybe a couple of hundred thousand?

Lots of love for South Africa. Lots of anger at Sunak. Lots of home-made placards now carry the words and faces of dead Palestinians. :(

Difficult to tell numbers, maybe not so many as the big one last year. But the use of two stages indicated big numbers, and it took longer from start to end. More trade union banners.
There was a Labour Party contingent, Labour Members for Palestine, assembling in side street when I arrived with two London CLP banners, maybe more later.

Oh yeah, more on that:

Several actionists were arrested today for allegedly conspiring to shut down the London Stock Exchange, who raise billions of pounds for apartheid Israel.

The arrests came after the group was infiltrated by an undercover journalist working for the Daily Express, in a desperate bid to disrupt our direct action campaign.

Whilst British complicity in the colonisation of Palestine continues, and a genocide is underway in Gaza, the state are surely mistaken in believing we would be deterred.

The publicity of our direct action campaign will only serve to grow the burgeoning global movement against Israel’s weapons trade and those who facilitate them.

We will not back down. Resistance until victory!

If you want to join us, email at info@palestineaction.org
Sounds like one person's just been released.

Think it's cos the group is called Palestine Action, so they use actionists to refer to group members, like swappies or sparts or whatever. (Think I might have seen "direct actionist" as a term as well, not very common though.)

Update:
Five of the six activists arrested for allegedly conspiring to disrupt the London Stock Exchange have been released.

One was charged and will appear at court to apply for bail shortly.

Mobilise from 10AM at Wirral Magistrates Court, 120 Chester St, Birkenhead, CH41 5DL

Not clear if they mean 10AM tomorrow or today, guessing tomorrow?

Latest PA stuff:
Sean, a dedicated campaigner for Palestinian liberation, was remanded to prison for allegedly conspiring to disrupt the London Stock Exchange.

He’s previously put his liberty on the line to disrupt Israel’s weapons trade and end complicity with apartheid Israel.

His sacrifice is a further call to all those who are able, to continue the fight when he can’t. We will never back down to a crackdown!

The lawyers will put in an immediate appeal and apply for bail as soon as possible. We will post updates.

In the meantime, you can write messages of support to Sean at palactprisoners@protonmail.com and donate at palestineaction.org/defence-fund

Also, Mileway Real Estate, landlords of the UAV Shenstone site that previously had a contract with Fisher German, targeted in London and Glasgow today:
1705428251747.png
1705428273042.png

Lots of Barclays demos happened yesterday as well - Morning Star makes it Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Blackburn, Bolton, Huddersfield, Stockport, Bradford, Altrincham and Preston. Didn't realise quite how regional that one was.

So depressing

Counter-terror police stopped a teenage boy wearing a Palestine flag at a UK airport and demanded: “Have you been to any of the protests?”

The bizarre 40-minute ordeal – a recording of which has been exclusively obtained by openDemocracy – saw an officer repeatedly ask the boy and a family member about their views on the “situation in Palestine”, how often they had been on marches in London, and whether they had seen any disorder there.

Elbit blockaded in Bristol today.
Kuehne & Nagel, a company with a transport contract for Elbit goods, targeted in Milton Keynes and London earlier this week.
1705613342956.png
1705613381205.png

Oh, and protest/die-in at BAE Systems in Blackburn early tomorrow morning:protest/Die-in at BAE Systems Samlesbury Aerodrome
This Friday 19th January
Myerscough Road, Balderstone,
Main Entrance, Blackburn BB2 7LF
Supported by Blackburn 4 Palestine
Protest starts 7.30am as workers come in, Die-in at 9am
Bring your own white sheet for the die-in
The rear fuselage for every F-35 Warplane is made at this BAE Systems Arms Factory in Lancashire
F-35 Fighter Jets are being used by the Israeli Occupation Forces to commit war crimes against the Gazan population, including the murder of over 10,400 children.
1705613652443.png

Does remind of see on one of the big demos police stop a guy holding a home made placard.

On it was a timeline. Holocaust 1940s .......... Gaza 2023

This was before the South African case against Israel started.

The guy put up a reasoned argument. And asked the police what was wrong with the placard. They ( Cops are not the brightest) said you cant have that placard. But gave no real answer.

I have noticed police on edge of marches with cameras clearly looking at placards as people go past. So reckon the cops were told about that placard by the police surveillance team and told to go and tell the guy to stop carrying it.

Woman arrested for criminal damage caused by putting a poster up with a drawing pin on the door of her MP's constituency office

So, the MP ...

Cherilyn Mackrory MP said: “It is not appropriate for me to make a comment on an ongoing police investigation. I fully support people’s right to hold different opinions on any subject. I am happy to speak with any of my constituents who contact me about the ongoing situation in Israel as with any other matter.”

... when she's the one who either grassed the woman up or at least allowed the complaint to go to the police.

So, the MP ...

... when she's the one who either grassed the woman up or at least allowed the complaint to go to the police.
Meanwhile,
"Norfolk Police has referred itself to the independent watchdog, saying it did not respond to a 999 call from a house where a family was later found dead." They were probably too busy looking for fly posters.

Back
Top Bottom