Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Octopus farming is ‘unethical and a threat to the food chain’

editor

hiraethified
Human's capacity for cruelty in the name of profit knows no bound...

Plans to create octopus farms in coastal waters round the world have been denounced by an international group of researchers. They say the move is ethically inexcusable and environmentally dangerous, and have called on private companies, academic institutions and governments to block funding for these ventures.

The researchers say that farming octopuses would require the catching of vast amounts of fish and shellfish to feed them, putting further pressure on the planet’s already threatened marine livestock.

The group, led by Professor Jennifer Jacquet of New York University, argues that octopuses are highly intelligent, curious creatures. Farming them intensively would probably cause large numbers of deaths from stress. “We can see no reason why, in the 21st century, a sophisticated, complex animal should become the source of mass-produced food,” Jacquet told the Observer. “Octopuses eat fish and shellfish, and supplying enough to feed large numbers of them puts further pressure on the food chain. It is unsustainable. Octopus factory farming is ethically and ecologically unjustified.”

There are about 300 species of octopus and many behave in surprisingly sophisticated ways. Some have been shown to use tools, for example. In one experiment, scientists observed octopuses building shelters from pieces of coconut shell. “Once octopuses have solved a problem, they retain long-term memory of the solution,” the researchers state in a paper in Issues in Science and Technology.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/12/octopus-farming-unethical-and-threat-to-food-chain

Fuck the soft-headed Disney bullshit, it's the fact that they're apparently going to be feeding the octopuses with creatures caught from the sea that's the real concern. There is already unsustainable pressure on fishery stocks that feed humans directly, why can't they feed the octopuses something else?

There should be a moratorium on industrial-scale fishing. Because if there isn't, the industry is going to collapse under its own weight anyway.

About 350,000 tonnes are caught every year and served in restaurants from Spain to Chile and from Mexico to Australia. But many octopus fisheries are reported to be in decline

If populations are in decline, I would have said it makes more sense for people to stop eating 90 million of them every year, not start factory-farming them, but what do I know.

I find it a bit depressing that I could walk into my local supermarket and buy a frozen octopus plucked from the waters around Indonesia or the Philippines for maybe £5 or £6 - it's like being able to buy a freeze-dried lemur or something.

Last edited:
There's a scene in the brilliant film Old Boy where the lead character eats live food.

I skip that scene every time; much too cruel IMO.

However, for those of you with no moral compass, here it is...

In regions where they're routinely eaten as food, octopi aren't thought of with any more affection than fish or pigs might be here.

All that makes me think is that I don't want to eat fish or pigs or dead animals generally though. Not with the inherent cruelty of the farming industry.

If they're so bleedin' clever how come they can only count to 8 when I can count to 10, (20 if I use my toes an'all)?

Back
Top Bottom