Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Octopus farming is ‘unethical and a threat to the food chain’

The correct pluralisation of octopus is octopodes (or, if you must, octopuses), NEVER ‘octopi’, as it is Greek, not Latin.
"According to Merriam-Webster, both octopuses and octopi are acceptable plurals"

Imperfect but acceptable is good enough for me, thanks.

are humans not animals?

No, we’re plants. Of course we’re fucking animals. We’re apes. We’re carnivores that have chosen to eat a few plants, we have similar physiology to bears, wolves, and lions. We did not evolve to eat plants, as we lack the correct digestive enzymes to break them down and extract nutrients from them. We also lack the bacteria required to synthesise B12, which are present in the guts of almost all herbivores.

I have eaten octopus, I didn’t like it. I have also eaten every single edible part of a cow, including the brain (certified BSE-free), and bone marrow (extremely nutritious is bovine marrow).

We did not evolve to eat plants, as we lack the correct digestive enzymes to break them down and extract nutrients from them.

We don't do amazingly with raw meat to be fair.
I think for much of our evolution we must have been a test audience for an itinerant band of alien chefs.

Octopi is ugly and boorish.
Octopodes is attention-seeking.
Octopuses works.

Whilst I have no intention of falling out with my right honourable friend, I feel that I have to insist that the octopodes is correct but, in the spirit of cross-party harmony, I will defer to octopuses.

Whilst I have no intention of falling out with my right honourable friend, I feel that I have to insist that the octopodes is correct but, in the spirit of cross-party harmony, I will defer to octopuses.

Octopodes is the most linguistically sound if you're really bothered about the root language.
Octopuses is the standard English pluralisation.
Octopi is the equivalent of pronouncing a particular type of Spanish sausage as "choritso", and is frankly unconscionable.

No, we’re plants. Of course we’re fucking animals. We’re apes. We’re carnivores that have chosen to eat a few plants, we have similar physiology to bears, wolves, and lions. We did not evolve to eat plants, as we lack the correct digestive enzymes to break them down and extract nutrients from them. We also lack the bacteria required to synthesise B12, which are present in the guts of almost all herbivores.

I have eaten octopus, I didn’t like it. I have also eaten every single edible part of a cow, including the brain (certified BSE-free), and bone marrow (extremely nutritious is bovine marrow).
No, we're omnivores like our cousins chimpanzees. Most of our diet is plant-based (forms of grass), with some meat (if people choose to do this). People eat far too much meat anyway, so moving to a more vegetarian diet would be good for the environment.

Octopodes drove down the road with a heavy load
Octopuses argued with the missus and er....
While octipi had a pie and a sigh and wondered why they had to try to say goodbye and lie etc etc etc.
Oooh, I could go on for ages here,

We didn't evolve to eat all plants, nor to eat only plants, but to jump from that and claim we didn't evolve to eat plants full stop is frankly ridiculous

We didn't evolve to eat all plants, nor to eat only plants, but to jump from that and claim we didn't evolve to eat plants full stop is frankly ridiculous
but it is of a piece with her previous ill-informed posts, among which - my personal favourite - is her claim that the labour party is a communist organisation

Octopodes drove down the road with a heavy load
Octopuses argued with the missus and er....
While octipi had a pie and a sigh and wondered why they had to try to say goodbye and lie etc etc etc.
Oooh, I could go on for ages here,

The only actual song I can think of is "Octopus's Garden".
That band did ok.

Don't like the taste or the feel/texture of squid nor of octopus.

(the plural of the latter I was taught at school was octopi, but that was a lot of years ago !)

Back
Top Bottom