Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NH Carnival '14 - Soundsystems under threat

Well, I had a good carnival. Walked past what appeared to be the missing link between a ska band and chaz and dave, at Gaz's Rockin' Blues, caught up with my brother, caught a bit of Channel One, stopped at Sir Lloyd's for a bit of mid 90s jungle, including Sounds of the Future's Lighter, caught a bit of hip hop (always nice to hear some KRS1 on a loud sound system), had a bit of a mare trying to get north of the Westway, walked through a soundsystem which appeared to be local kids playing some sort of acid house sounding urban music, was put off by the rammed Rinse crowd, had a bit of a dance at Aba Shanti, walked back to find that the kids were sadly playing bashment, bumped into an old musician acquaintance who I've not seen for years (who was recovering from pulling a whitey at Aba, and then wandering around for 3 hours trying to find his mates), sat in a park, and then had a bit of a boogie back at Aba Shanti, and walked out along the canal which had canal boats playing tunes, having barbeques, and one even selling artisan foods (it was very tranquil along side the canal, considering it's proximity to Carnival).

Standard.

mini carnival day for me, didnt get there til 4.30pm and just meandered around on my own. first time going alone too. was nice but without my friend who usually navigates me around i ended up going in a few circles :D most of the soundsystems were just too rammed for me to weedle my way in.

considering heading in again tomorrow but it depends on the weather and my organisational skills!

Just home...HIC! :D

Lovely afternoon of solo raving, then meeting with friends and the pleasure of beautiful randoms/people you didn't expect to meet! Music was ace at all the systems I stopped at... did a mini tour and finished at Abashanti... If the weather didn't look so shit for tomorrow I would definately be coming back for streetdance 2 ;)

real shame about the weather 2moro...i dont think ive ever seen such a washout on the weather website
feel bad for the sounds - reckon theyll have to set up anyway
and all the carnival costume crew...all that work...

rain.jpg

wet playtime at home for me...might have to get the crayons out

Got there early today - if you ever wondered whats going at carnival between 12 and 1pm i can report not much! most sounds were either setting up or testing... popped over to rinse but no music playing and there was a scary looking stage and you could just tell it was going to be heaving over there

so stuck hard to Aba - wasnt a day to go walking around (well done those who did) - ive never seen a bigger crowd at Aba - im guessing its tommorows weather that brought more out for the sunday - have to say i thought Aba was on absolute firing form - immaculate selection and control - hes always great but particularly feeling it today
had a few highlights but this one had every one up the road jumping hard - Aba played six pieces of this one :D

woke up hungry for more...not sure i can face umbrella raving though.... at least there'll be room to move about :hmm:

no sets up on Rinse...hopefully some recordings will surface in a bit

Met Office Warnings Issued For: Greater London
  1. Yellow alert of rain
    0600 on Mon 25 August
    To:
    2350 on Mon 25 August
    Updated 24 August at 10:58 Active
    Heavy rain will spread from the southwest on Bank Holiday Monday.

The public should be aware that there may be some impacts to holiday traffic and outdoor activities.

They did this on purpose to ruin our fun.

Well, I had a good carnival. Walked past what appeared to be the missing link between a ska band and chaz and dave, at Gaz's Rockin' Blues, caught up with my brother, caught a bit of Channel One, stopped at Sir Lloyd's for a bit of mid 90s jungle, including Sounds of the Future's Lighter, caught a bit of hip hop (always nice to hear some KRS1 on a loud sound system), had a bit of a mare trying to get north of the Westway, walked through a soundsystem which appeared to be local kids playing some sort of acid house sounding urban music, was put off by the rammed Rinse crowd, had a bit of a dance at Aba Shanti, walked back to find that the kids were sadly playing bashment, bumped into an old musician acquaintance who I've not seen for years (who was recovering from pulling a whitey at Aba, and then wandering around for 3 hours trying to find his mates), sat in a park, and then had a bit of a boogie back at Aba Shanti, and walked out along the canal which had canal boats playing tunes, having barbeques, and one even selling artisan foods (it was very tranquil along side the canal, considering it's proximity to Carnival).

Standard.
I have always found the canal a great escape from the masses. I always used to walk to carnival up the canal from Camden. It is a lot less congested route both to & from.

I have always found the canal a great escape from the masses. I always used to walk to carnival up the canal from Camden. It is a lot less congested route both to & from.
thats a nice idea...

heres a snap from the canal as the sun set on carnival a few years back
29082010053-jpg.57722

Aba-Shanti was on fire! Like ska invita I got there petty early and just immersed myself innit for the whole day. Took a quick break for some decent curry goat, other than that just stayed put and danced my ass off all day. Vintage roots, murderous dub, digi-killers and EPIC levels of bass all added up to make a classic carnival for me.

this was the tune of the day for me yesterday - got the 4 play treatment - big favourite, strong anti war message, what with everything going on in the world today...i was feeling it so much i let out a roar at one point which seemed to clear about 3 people from around me :D (might have been a coincidence :hmm:)

wasnt on youtube so uploaded it (but i dont have the dubs unfortunately...the 12" is on the wants list!)

Back
Top Bottom