Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NH Carnival '14 - Soundsystems under threat

Just saw on the local news that plod have done a load of preemptive raids ahead of carnival.

"We think you might commit a crime next weekend, so we're arresting you now just in case"

:mad::confused::(

Just saw on the local news that plod have done a load of preemptive raids ahead of carnival.

"We think you might commit a crime next weekend, so we're arresting you now just in case"

:mad::confused::(

Some early policing has been going on for years now.... ive conflicting feelings about it...i dont need to say why its wrong, but on the other hand the justification is they target known troublemakers and gangs going up to carnival en masse, who have in the past steamed crowds and so on - ive been in a crowd thats been steamed and its not cool...

its not as if theres no crime at carnival - there is, ive seen a few not nice things over the years, and there are people who go there purely for that and to clash with other people. Ive read reports of large gangs being stopped en route and not being allowed to travel up to carnival - saw it once with my own eyes from the bus - and we're not talking about a large group of friends going out to party, it was blatant gang action.

the way i see it is carnival is fragile and it does need policing, and the police are in a near impossible situation, knowing that heavy handed policing on the day will erupt the whole thing, but stand back and criminals take advantage. im not fussed about small time dealers, and its clear that some of the preemptive arrests are on that score, but stopping people who are out purely to hurt and rob i find it harder to care about

Last edited:
Yeah, spot on. I can't help but think it's an excuse for plod to do other unrelated stuff. Sure, prevent gang wars etc but arresting a dealer on the strength of him having a pile of cash - just means the dealing has been done. Unless plod suspects da OG gonna shower some hoes ( :hmm:) with notes in ATL style, thereby inciting booty action causing a roadblock that obstructs the highway :D

Fuck knows, it's just that the arresting mandem cos carnival's coming, when any other time they wouldn't bother, just seems like plod are taking the piss. Mind you, nothing new there :(

like anyone with eyes to see, my first instinct with policing is always cynicism
i really don't know what information they go on, how they can predict if someones might be planning to go and work carnival or not. it could be a case where they were going to make an arrest anyway and are timing it for now to double the impact...also i've read in the past that some criminals use the distraction of carnival to commit crimes elsewhere, and this is another thing the police try to counteract. Complex. would be good to read more in depth stuff about it. its been happening for a long time now so there must be work done it, reports and so on.

theres a 4 part BBC thing on carnival all up on Iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p024nwh0/notting-hill-carnival-1-who-started-it
going to give it a watch tonight...looks okay so far
this was surprisingly good - especially the first episode looking at how carnival started, disputes of which have rumbled for hte longest time
wouldve been nice to have more history though, really going through year by year and showing how carnival has changed over time

#2 was about soundsystems, and was a nice beginners guide to the culture
#3 was about food i think, so i didnt watch it.
#4 was about big carnival tunes and was a bit crap tbh, rushed and seriously limited in its scope
still, all in, far from terrible

Last edited:
is that right! oh yeah, I-SPY in forGT and Mark Ronson for SP...

any idea why no GT?

I think I read that there was redevelopment/building work going on in Southern Row, so Good Times and Sancho are going to be doing this 'Good Times in the Park' thing in September.

I think I read that there was revelopment/building work going on in Southern Row, so Good Times and Sancho are going to be doing this 'Good Times in the Park' thing in September.
thats weird because it looks like ISPY and Ronson are in those exact same spots...i wonder if that park thing will be free...would be up for that if so

I'm kind of dreading carnival this year.

I've been living in NH for two years now and our house just gets invaded by those "friends" you never see until they realise they have access to a toilet, fridge and flat surface for carnival. I may have to play bouncer this year and only respond to people who we actually want at the house :D

I'm kind of dreading carnival this year.

I've been living in NH for two years now and our house just gets invaded by those "friends" you never see until they realise they have access to a toilet, fridge and flat surface for carnival. I may have to play bouncer this year and only respond to people who we actually want at the house :D
easy: come out on the streets and lock the door behind you

you can always pop back if needed ;) youre up the north end of portobello is that right? any chance we can set up a soundsytem out of your window one year? :hmm:

That's easier said than done. I nearly pissed myself on the stairs last year after my epic battle through the throngs :D

If we're still there next year, I don't see why not!

getting set times, or even set days for the rinse fm takeover is proving beyond me but Uncle Dugs is on 16:30-17:00 on the Sunday...might pop over for that bit

Back
Top Bottom