Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Also watched 'The Lady in the Van' today which I enjoyed.

. . . and Baby Driver with my daughter. She screwed up her face up and protested at firs, especially when I said stuff like 'I've got this record' (any record I own is automatically 100% terrible). I think she just dismisses things really quickly and won't give them a chance (like the nut roast I made for dinner). . . . . so it came as quite the surprise when she said that she actually really liked it. I would have thought that even if she did really like it she would have kept it to herself.
I wonder who she gets that from… :p

(Totally humorous, tongue-in cheek-comment- please don’t take it seriously)

What made the PM difficult for me is that everyone involved does the exact opposite of what you think they should have done. The victims, the families, the police, and the legal system. If it was a drama you’d think it was ridiculously far-fetched.

Well...the people who do exactly what you think they should do probably don't get conned?

I mean the guy in the pub believed everything he was told ... it was really crazy. But dont forget he was very young.

I started it years ago but got distracted. I should whack through it from the start and get up to date.
Saw Odenkirk in Fargo today as well. That's one I left to one side for a long time. Only started on series one today. Bit long.

Fargo is brilliant! Especially season 1.

And Better Call Saul is well worth sticking with. Really excellent although you would need to have watched Breaking Bad.

Don’t be put off by the apparent slow pace of Fargo, ATOMIC SUPLEX . This is one of those series that’s really worth sticking with if the only thing bothering you is the pace, because it’s one of greatest TV shows of recent times, period.

ETA: to be honest I have been guilty of the very thing myself. Everyone raves about The Wire and having watched the first two or three episodes I have no reason to dispute the general consensus of it being superb, though I am struggling to persevere with it. But Fargo has the extra dimension of being weird in the best possible way. If you have seen the film and liked it, you’d be mad not to watch at least the first two seasons.

Last edited:
Don’t be put off by the apparent slow pace of Fargo, ATOMIC SUPLEX . This is one of those series that’s really worth sticking with if the only thing bothering you is the pace, because it’s one of greatest TV shows of recent times, period.

ETA: to be honest I have been guilty of the very thing myself. Everyone raves about The Wire and having watched the first two or three episodes I have no reason to dispute the general consensus of it being superb, though I am struggling to persevere with it. But Fargo has the extra dimension of being weird in the best possible way. If you have seen the film and liked it, you’d be mad not to watch at least the first two seasons.
Nothing wrong with the pace. Just it bit long for the bite size viewing gaps I generally have in my life.
I would have probably been quite happy if episode one was a film and that was all there was going to be (maybe with one more scene added).

I love the wire.

Fargo is brilliant! Especially season 1.

And Better Call Saul is well worth sticking with. Really excellent although you would need to have watched Breaking Bad.
Same deal with Breaking Bad. I watched a very large chunk of it but then stopped. I think it was when torrents stopped, or at least stopped being easy.
Never got back into either. I very much enjoyed both.

I'm 15 minutes in and it looks a bit silly.

Is it supposed to be a comedy?

It actually is a lot more than that. It only seems wacky in episode 1
There is some depth to it as you get to know the characters.

Not at all what you might expect after watching episode 1.
It gradually reveals what is in fact a very human story.

Well worth a watch.

Last edited:
Surprised no-one's mentioned All Of Us Are Dead yet. I wouldn't have thought zombies chasing teenagers round a school would have worked for a 12 hour series but it's mostly good fun largely down to a great young cast who slip with ease between scenes of zombie inspired peril and everyday teenage being shitty to each other, fancying each other, being brave and scared and bickering over who did the smelly poo. Imagine a very violent Grange Hill, but better, and set in Korea, with lots of zombies.

Surprised no-one's mentioned All Of Us Are Dead yet. I wouldn't have thought zombies chasing teenagers round a school would have worked for a 12 hour series but it's mostly good fun largely down to a great young cast who slip with ease between scenes of zombie inspired peril and everyday teenage being shitty to each other, fancying each other, being brave and scared and bickering over who did the smelly poo. Imagine a very violent Grange Hill, but better, and set in Korea, with lots of zombies.

Now interested!

Same deal with Breaking Bad. I watched a very large chunk of it but then stopped. I think it was when torrents stopped, or at least stopped being easy.
Never got back into either. I very much enjoyed both.
I certainly respect the difference of opinion regarding widely acclaimed films and series- or not so acclaimed for that matter. I only got to start watching The Sopranos last year, and after consistently seeing it being talked about as one of the all-time great if not the greatest series of all time, I was somewhat underwhelmed by it actually.

The Wire I thought slow as fuck, as well as hard to understand without subtitles though that’s not its fault. And it took a concerned effort to persevere with Game of Thrones and Succession, but I am glad I did. Wouldn’t have if half the world weren’t creaming their pants talking about it though. I’m in the same spot with Ozark right now.

. . . and Baby Driver with my daughter. She screwed up her face up and protested at firs, especially when I said stuff like 'I've got this record' (any record I own is automatically 100% terrible). I think she just dismisses things really quickly and won't give them a chance (like the nut roast I made for dinner). . . . . so it came as quite the surprise when she said that she actually really liked it. I would have thought that even if she did really like it she would have kept it to herself.
I wonder we she got that from. :D

I certainly respect the difference of opinion regarding widely acclaimed films and series- or not so acclaimed for that matter. I only got to start watching The Sopranos last year, and after consistently seeing it being talked about as one of the all-time great if not the greatest series of all time, I was somewhat underwhelmed by it actually.

The Wire I thought slow as fuck, as well as hard to understand without subtitles though that’s not its fault. And it took a concerned effort to persevere with Game of Thrones and Succession, but I am glad I did. Wouldn’t have if half the world weren’t creaming their pants talking about it though. I’m in the same spot with Ozark right now.

Justified should be as acclaimed as the above.

They are both good, I've seen them on Freeview both fairly recently (in fact I think Baby Driver has been shown on one of the Freeview channels at least 3 times in the last week - it is a fantastic film though).

I'm just going to say that Anxious People is one of the better drama series I've seen in a while.

Dont be thrown by the off beat first episode.
This gets deeper. So by the last few episodes you are completely surprised at every turn.

Some would say its a bit feel good at the end. I prefer to think of it as showing humanity in its better light.

Last edited:
BCS is much better than Breaking Bad imo.
On balance I think you might be right. Rhea Seehorn and Patrick Fabian are both brilliant and Odenkirk really came into his own in BCS. It will be sad to see the last of it.

This sounds right up my street

I dumped it half way through episode one. A lot of Korean zombie stuff is really good but this just felt like a teen show with zombies

Indeed. The acclaim of the sopranos completely mystifies me. I've given it a good old try because of the gushing reviews and parallels drawn to the wire, but I have found it to be rather boring trash TV. I just don't get it at all. Personally I would say more than just 'not seeing the appeal', I actually dislike it.

Interesting title, but then saw its yet another fucking zombie show. Teen zombie show at that. Not at the top of our to do list, especially after what rubber shoes said.

Indeed. The acclaim of the sopranos completely mystifies me. I've given it a good old try because of the gushing reviews and parallels drawn to the wire, but I have found it to be rather boring trash TV. I just don't get it at all. Personally I would say more than just 'not seeing the appeal', I actually dislike it.
It took me 4 or 5 attempts and over 10 years to get into The Sopranos, over which time my tastes changed considerably. I completely get your view though.

Back
Top Bottom