Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Not much pleased with all the new stuff.

Snowpiercer - Series three. I'm two episodes in and not hooked at all. Feels like it's run out of steam.

After Life - Series three. Offering nothing new, feels a bit pointless.

Murderville - Not as interesting as seems, only lasted one and a half episodes.
The woman in the window watching the man across the street (or whatever it is called). Is it satire? Is it supposed to be funny? Is there an actual thriller in there? I'm too bored to watch any more and find out.

Watched a film called Hustle last night. It was basically a remake of dirty rotten scoundrels, lighter and far worse. . . . my daughter liked it though so there is an audience.

Talking of my daughter, she really rates a new anime about some kids trapped on a space station that's new to Netflix.

Re-joined for Undercover (which thoroughly enjoyed) and saw season 3 of Narcos: Mexico was out, so watching that now. As good as the other seasons.

Rams
Icelandic sheep farming community hit by scrapie.

The vets order a whole valley's sheep herds be destroyed.

Two brothers, who have not spoken for forty years, find their lives changed forever by these events.

It's good, but it's definitely not the comedy Netflix bill it as!

Rams

Two brothers, who have not spoken for forty years, find their lives changed forever by these events.

Might watch this, I used to work in TSEs. Definitely doesn't sound like comedy material.

Rams

It has darkly comedic moments, amidst the appalling misery.

The Aussie remake from a couple of years back, with Sam neill, is surprisingly good and plays up the comedy a bit more.

Has anyone seen The Puppet Master yet?

Absolutely astonishing 3 part doc about a conman who basically kidnapped many women over years and drained them and their families wealth through coercion and manipulation by pretending to be an MI5 agent.

Jaw dropping stuff and quite disturbing.

Absolutely astonishing 3 part doc about a conman who basically kidnapped many women over years and drained them and their families wealth through coercion and manipulation by pretending to be an MI5 agent.

Pretty terrifying.

It sounds great judging by reports from several friends, but I will avoid it simply because I get unduly upset about real life outrageous wrongdoings like this one sounds like, so fuck voluntarily watching something that’s going to get me upset and angry about things I have no control about concerning people I don’t know.

It sounds great judging by reports from several friends, but I will avoid it simply because I get unduly upset about real life outrageous wrongdoings like this one sounds like, so fuck voluntarily watching something that’s going to get me upset and angry about things I have no control about concerning people I don’t know.

Definitely not for you then. It's fascinating but makes you want to take a baseball bat to the fucker's kneecaps.

Yeah it is very OMFG on that score. Definitely avoid if that sort of thing is too upsetting.

It is a good watch if you like that sort of true crime thing though.

Definitely not for you then. It's fascinating but makes you want to take a baseball bat to the fucker's kneecaps.
Yeah, that’s what I assumed. Pisses me off enough when a fictional series, let alone when I know it’s happened for real.

Sounds grim and triggering.

A lot of these crime things that deal with confidence tricksters/fraud/manipulation of people are triggering by their very nature.

I thought Puppet Master and also The Tinder Swindler which is another recent one were quite well done though - sometimes you see this sort of thing and they almost seem to be exploitative of the victims of the crimes in order to make a sensational story, I felt these two in particular did not go down that particular path or at least not in a sordid way, and those involved were centrally involved in the thing (and The Tinder Swindler has quite a satisfying moment towards the end tbh).

Munich: Edge of War is a damp squib. Based on the important conference between Neville Chamberlain* and Hitler in 1938, with a bit of espionage thrown in, it should have some tension. But it just doesn't.

Jeremy Irons is good as Chamberlain but George MacKay is unconvincing in the lead role and I feel he drags the film down.

*The prime minister not the 1980s Port Vale footballer

Last edited:
A lot of these crime things that deal with confidence tricksters/fraud/manipulation of people are triggering by their very nature.

I thought Puppet Master and also The Tinder Swindler which is another recent one were quite well done though - sometimes you see this sort of thing and they almost seem to be exploitative of the victims of the crimes in order to make a sensational story, I felt these two in particular did not go down that particular path or at least not in a sordid way, and those involved were centrally involved in the thing (and The Tinder Swindler has quite a satisfying moment towards the end tbh).

What made the PM difficult for me is that everyone involved does the exact opposite of what you think they should have done. The victims, the families, the police, and the legal system. If it was a drama you’d think it was ridiculously far-fetched.

What made the PM difficult for me is that everyone involved does the exact opposite of what you think they should have done. The victims, the families, the police, and the legal system. If it was a drama you’d think it was ridiculously far-fetched.

Indeed, OH came into the room when I was halfway through PM and watched a bit while we were slowly pottering around getting ready to go out. After about 15 minutes, he turned to me and said "is this an actual documentary about real events?" because some parts of it are just really quite far fetched, I watched some of it kind of agape.

S2 of Raising Dion has dropped. So far enjoying it even more than S1.

A 12-Certificate superhero genre series that’s more gripping and entertaining than a few Marvel & DC shows, for me at least :)

Looks like they've finally released the date for last season of Better Call Saul, rather cryptically- D\R ..... 4\18. Four days after my 40th, wooooh happy birthday to me! Well done Bob Odenkirk for soldiering on and getting it finished.
I started it years ago but got distracted. I should whack through it from the start and get up to date.
Saw Odenkirk in Fargo today as well. That's one I left to one side for a long time. Only started on series one today. Bit long.

Also watched 'The Lady in the Van' today which I enjoyed.

. . . and Baby Driver with my daughter. She screwed up her face up and protested at firs, especially when I said stuff like 'I've got this record' (any record I own is automatically 100% terrible). I think she just dismisses things really quickly and won't give them a chance (like the nut roast I made for dinner). . . . . so it came as quite the surprise when she said that she actually really liked it. I would have thought that even if she did really like it she would have kept it to herself.

Back
Top Bottom