Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

I certainly respect the difference of opinion regarding widely acclaimed films and series- or not so acclaimed for that matter. I only got to start watching The Sopranos last year, and after consistently seeing it being talked about as one of the all-time great if not the greatest series of all time, I was somewhat underwhelmed by it actually.

The Wire I thought slow as fuck, as well as hard to understand without subtitles though that’s not its fault. And it took a concerned effort to persevere with Game of Thrones and Succession, but I am glad I did. Wouldn’t have if half the world weren’t creaming their pants talking about it though. I’m in the same spot with Ozark right now.
And this is why I know if you and ATOMIC SUPLEX like something, it's not for me. It"s actually a really good review short cut.

And this is why I know if you and ATOMIC SUPLEX like something, it's not for me. It"s actually a really good review short cut.

Knowing who has similar/opposite tastes to you on this thread is more useful than a hundred normal reviews with no history of comparison.

I know that if T & P likes something then there is a fairly good chance that I'll enjoy it, or at least find it entertaining or interesting.
It's not a 100% guarantee, but I'm quite likely to pay more attention to their recommendations and comments on this and other TV/film threads than I would most other posters, simply because of a good hit rate of liking similar things over the years.

Actually he and I have disagreed on the merits of quite a few films and series over time. Same with Reno even though we both agree on the quality of many or most of them, as he points out above.

In a nutshell, if you’re going to use other posters’ reviews as a guide (which I do all the time), the trick is to use more than two and also bear in mind that nobody has identical tastes to others. There are people here highly knowledgeable of and invested in cinematography I would value the opinion of highbrow, arthouse films, but would definitely ignore regarding cheap thrills brainless action films such as, say, Con Air, because you can’t expect them to appreciate both (even though some do).

Some films are highly interesting in how Marmite they prove, in here as well as the wider world and even the professional critic circuit. The recent Netflix film Don’t Look Up is a perfect recent example. Some of us here and some critics thought it was brilliant, some others on both camps thought it was dreadful. For what’s worth I don’t know what Reno and ATOMIC SUPLEX thought of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if both of them disagreed with my assessment, further proving my point.

Actually he and I have disagreed on the merits of quite a few films and series over time. Same with Reno even though we both agree on the quality of many or most of them, as he points out above.

In a nutshell, if you’re going to use other posters’ reviews as a guide (which I do all the time), the trick is to use more than two of them as a guide, and also bear in mind that nobody has identical tastes to others, or might prove a relevant opinion to your tastes depending on the genre. There are people here highly knowledgeable of and invested in cinematography I would value the opinion of highbrow, arthouse films, but ignore regarding cheap thrills brainless action films such as, say, Con Air because you can’t expect them to appreciate both (even though some do).

Some films are highly interesting in how Marmite they prove, in here as well as the wider world and even the professional critic circuit. The recent Netflix film Don’t Look Up is a perfect recent example. Some of us here and some critics thought it was brilliant, some others on both camps thought it was dreadful. For what’s worth I don’t know what Reno and ATOMIC SUPLEX thought of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if both of them disagreed with my assessment, further proving my point.

This exactly, a bit of triangulation in terms of reviews is best. And it definitely varies a bit by genre too.

This exactly, a bit of triangulation in terms of reviews is best. And it definitely varies a bit by genre too.
Quite. And for what’s worth I’ve come to find the triangulated opinion of the U75 massive more reliable than the professional media film & TV critics, certainly when it comes to the enjoyment factor of cheap thrill productions rather than their artistic merit.

Admittedly I can get unduly positive about some of the stuff I might watch of a Saturday night when I’ve had a drink, though I’d like to think that any regular poster in this forum will have long worked that out :D

Back to reviews, started In From the Cold, a new sci-fi/ spy thriller series. The first episode was mindlessly entertaining enough if you lower your expectations sufficiently. It felt like a poor man’s Bourne Identity, going by the numbers, though I guess one should not judge any series much by the opening episode.

However, after finishing the first episode I checked reviews, fully expecting it to see dismissive ratings from the critics, and was therefore surprised to see surprisingly high scores by career reviewers and public alike. So will persevere I guess.

I had no strong feeling for or against Don't Look Up, so won't pass your Marmite test. The point can be made that it is an unsubtle film because we live in a crass world but that doesn't entirely justify the deficiencies of its screenplay, I didn't hate it though. I'm partial to disaster films, thought it was entertaining enough and the starry cast carried it along but I wouldn't have nominated it for a Best Picture or Best Screenplay Oscar.

Back to reviews, started In From the Cold, a new sci-fi/ spy thriller series. The first episode was mindlessly entertaining enough if you lower your expectations sufficiently. It felt like a poor man’s Bourne Identity, going by the numbers, though I guess one should not judge any series much by the opening episode.

However, after finishing the first episode I checked reviews, fully expecting it to see dismissive ratings from the critics, and was therefore surprised to see surprisingly high scores by career reviewers and public alike. So will persevere I guess.
I was really looking forward to this but stopped watching soon after the shooting scene at the reception on the roof in episode 1, which reminded me of one of those OTT 70s Indian action films.

I had no strong feeling for or against Don't Look Up, so won't pass your Marmite test. The point can be made that it is an unsubtle film because we live in a crass world but that doesn't entirely justify the deficiencies of its screenplay, I didn't hate it though. I'm partial to disaster films, thought it was entertaining enough and the starry cast carried it along but I wouldn't have nominated it for a Best Picture or Best Screenplay Oscar.
My feelings exactly. Bit heavy handed, but I just took that as part of the joke (especially the 'don't look up' campaign itself). Though I absolutely hated the post credits scene/gag. I was dreading a Hitchhikers Golgafrinchans type rip off but got something worse. . . GCI and a lame gag.

The Magnificent Seven (remake).
Did I hate it? I did I like it? I don't think I anythingind it. It just rolled out in front of my eyes, no surprises, no big emotions. Performances were good enough, looked good, no obvious CGI. It wasn't incredibly interesting, but it was adequate. Would have been nice to care a bit more about the characters.

The Magnificent Seven (remake).
Did I hate it? I did I like it? I don't think I anythingind it. It just rolled out in front of my eyes, no surprises, no big emotions. Performances were good enough, looked good, no obvious CGI. It wasn't incredibly interesting, but it was adequate. Would have been nice to care a bit more about the characters.

Sounds very suitable for when I fancy some background noise later!

I was really looking forward to this but stopped watching soon after the shooting scene at the reception on the roof in episode 1, which reminded me of one of those OTT 70s Indian action films.
Episode one felt pedestrian at times, for sure. Not terrible though, and certainly far better than the likes of the recent MacGyver reboot series, but still something you’d not particularly feel like sticking with unless there was absolutely nothing else to watch

That’s why I was greatly surprised to see an 83% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Maybe it really takes off from now onwards, but this is the kind of thing that you’d expect to be savaged by the critics. Bird Box for instance, which is a far better product imo and was a massive hit with audiences, still only manages a 64% rating on RT. If I watch any more episodes and the get better I’ll report back.

Villains - Leave netflix on the 19th

Lovers and amateur small time armed criminals break into a house after a robbery looking for some car keys. They find something that complicates matters.
Decent enough, box film (pretty much all set in the house) though it felt that there could have been a more dramatic / freakyer reveal. Would have liked to see the upper hand switching more, and more concern / thought for the potential consequences of decisions of the characters. As it is, it plods along nicely enough for a short film.

Lovers and amateur small time armed criminals break into a house after a robbery looking for some car keys. They find something that complicates matters.
Decent enough, box film (pretty much all set in the house) though it felt that there could have been a more dramatic / freakyer reveal. Would have liked to see the upper hand switching more, and more concern / thought for the potential consequences of decisions of the characters. As it is, it plods along nicely enough for a short film.
Thanks. Will try to check it out.

D'you know if there's a way of sorting/searching for content that will be leaving soon? Or is it just that you happened to notice it was leaving soon?

I quite liked it as well. Hadn’t even heard of it and it ended up proving to be good value for money. Almost felt like a play, and the four leads were good, and two of them the type of character actor it’s always worth watching. Not superb but still pretty good in my book.

I quite liked it as well. Hadn’t even heard of it and it ended up proving to be good value for money. Almost felt like a play, and the four leads were good, and two of them the type of character actor it’s always worth watching. Not superb but still pretty good in my book.
I hate to mention Tarantino, but I kind of wondered if it could have been better with some slightly more dynamic direction.
Still disappointed there wasn't more to the girl in the basement, and I would probably have liked it being a bit darker in the long run so that we could see there was more at stake for all parties.

News of the World

Paul Greengrass directs, Tom Hanks stars. Old fashioned western, in which a Civil War veteran finds himself bringing an orphan back to her family.

It's a sort of road movie with some nods to today's world and nods to the vanishing West.

There's also a few references to The Searchers, True Grit, The Outlaw Josey Wales... at least, the way it looked and felt in certain scenes.

Great film.

In a nutshell, if you’re going to use other posters’ reviews as a guide (which I do all the time), the trick is to use more than two and also bear in mind that nobody has identical tastes to others. There are people here highly knowledgeable of and invested in cinematography I would value the opinion of highbrow, arthouse films, but would definitely ignore regarding cheap thrills brainless action films such as, say, Con Air, because you can’t expect them to appreciate both (even though some do).

I'm still pretty sure I have never liked anything either of you have liked. It's not a diss, just a (helpful) difference.
As for Reno , his taste is so much broader than mine, which is pretty narrow. I don't watch lots of what he recommends as I don't like sci fi, horror or fantasy and watch more TV than films. But if Reno recommended a TV series that was a drama, for example, I'd definitely give it a go.

I'm still pretty sure I have never liked anything either of you have liked. It's not a diss, just a (helpful) difference.
As for Reno , his taste is so much broader than mine, which is pretty narrow. I don't watch lots of what he recommends as I don't like sci fi, horror or fantasy and watch more TV than films. But if Reno recommended a TV series that was a drama, for example, I'd definitely give it a go.
Fair enough and certainly no offence taken, though I would like to challenge your memory a bit further. Did you not like the likes of Stranger Things, The Queen’s Gambit, Sex Education, Russian Doll, Alice in Borderland, or Squid Game, all of which I gave enthusiastic reviews about? Literally no offence whatsoever if so, though I’d be tempted to think you’re my antithesis from a parallel universe :D

My feelings exactly. Bit heavy handed, but I just took that as part of the joke (especially the 'don't look up' campaign itself). Though I absolutely hated the post credits scene/gag. I was dreading a Hitchhikers Golgafrinchans type rip off but got something worse. . . GCI and a lame gag.

Yeah, felt the pcs kind of were out of kilter with what went before. Not really needed.

Interesting reference, btw 😄

Fair enough and certainly no offence taken, though I would like to challenge your memory a bit further. Did you not like the likes of Stranger Things, The Queen’s Gambit, Sex Education, Russian Doll, Alice in Borderland, or Squid Game, all of which I gave enthusiastic reviews about? Literally no offence whatsoever if so, though I’d be tempted to think you’re my antithesis from a parallel universe :D
Squid Game and Alice I haven't watched as not my genres. Sex Education is ok. Stranger Things, not for me. I liked The Queens Gambit and Russian Doll but they're nowhere near the league of The Sopranos, Wire and more recently Succession.

Back
Top Bottom