Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Badly done accents can ruin scenes/films though - Oldman's cod Jamaican in True Romance; Dicaprio's Irish in Gangs of NY. If you're thinking about how crap the accent is, you're not watching the film.

Or it becomes part of the joy of the film I guess - Connery/Lambert in Highlander.
The fact that you single out Oldman in True Romance proves my point. You are so preoccupied with a "bad accent" that you missed the joke. Drexl Spivey isn't Jamaican, he is a white Detroit pimp who wants to be a black Jamaican and therefore he speaks in a cod-Jamaican accent.

There are some distractingly poor accents which can ruin a performance, but if a performance is otherwise good, I can excuse a few slips here and there. On this forum I find an obsessive degree of attention is given to supposed accuracy of accents, it's often the first thing people use to dismiss a film or tv series. Often they nitpicking and often they are wrong, as you just were. Accents aren't an exact science and often determined by far more than just locality.

Last edited:
You're not an actor though. Poor accents can ruin performances because they can become the focus of attention. Either do them well or don't do them at all.
I'm comparing my accent to that of Anna Sorokin, not to that of an actor trying to do another accent.

As a hard of hearing non-native English speaker who can barely differentiate between different national accents, I am blissfully immune from bad accents in films. Most people who’ve watched Blood Diamond seem to say DiCaprio’s South African accent was so bad it spoiled the film for them. I wouldn’t know one way or another, and really liked both the film and his performance :)

I think it’s a bit of a silly thing to judge a film by, tbh. Laugh at it if you want, but if you actually dismiss a good film for nothing more than a bad accent by an accomplished actor who otherwise delivers a fine performance, it seems a shame.

I started on Inventing Anna yesterday and really enjoyed the first episode, it’s slick and funny and I anyway love all stories about imposters.
Odd feeling reading this, which the real anna wrote last week from her prison cell whilst we are entertained by the fictional version:

Finished watching it and have to say I enjoyed it.

:thumbs:The fact that you single out Oldman in True Romance proves my point. You are so preoccupied with a "bad accent" that you missed the joke. Drexl Spivey isn't Jamaican, he is a white Detroit pimp who wants to be a black Jamaican and therefore he speaks in a cod-Jamaican accent.

There are some distractingly poor accents which can ruin a performance, but if a performance is otherwise good, I can excuse a few slips here and there. On this forum I find an obsessive degree of attention is given to supposed accuracy of accents, it's often the first thing people use to dismiss a film or tv series. Often they nitpicking and often they are wrong, as you just were. Accents aren't an exact science and often determined by far more than just locality.
Oh noes, I did watching films wrong (you patronising twat) :thumbs:

Last edited:
Finished watching it and have to say I enjoyed it.
Watched the first three episodes (Inventing Anna, for those not sure what we’re talking about), and enjoying it more than I thought. Not fireworks stuff but not bad at all either. I was initially sceptic when I saw the episodes seem to be about an hour long, but credit where it’s due, the pace is about perfect, even more so given the subject matter.

Watched the first three episodes (Inventing Anna, for those not sure what we’re talking about), and enjoying it more than I thought. Not fireworks stuff but not bad at all either. I was initially sceptic when I saw the episodes seem to be about an hour long, but credit where it’s due, the pace is about perfect, even more so given the subject matter.

The co-stars are all really good. I like that it focusses on their lives as the series goes on.

In any case, I look forward in due course to the inevitable Netflix series about the similar yet indescribably more successful fellow con artist Elizabeth Holmes, freshly convicted as it happens

It's already in the can and coming out in March but for Hulu/Disney, not for Netflix.

I saw the first episode of Inventing Anna and whilst it didn't massively grab me, I feel it could be setting up a good season so I'm going to watch them all. I have no problems with the accent.

Enjoying the new Snowpiercer. I already listened to an amazing podcast about the subject of Inventing Anna so I’m not really tempted by that.

I saw the first episode of Inventing Anna and whilst it didn't massively grab me, I feel it could be setting up a good season so I'm going to watch them all. I have no problems with the accent.
I'm just watching the first episode now of Inventing Anna now. I'm not bothered by any accent, and I know it's based on a true story but is absolutely everyone in it supposed to be unbearably irritating? The journalist especially.

I'm just watching the first episode now of Inventing Anna now. I'm not bothered by any accent, and I know it's based on a true story but is absolutely everyone in it supposed to be unbearably irritating? The journalist especially.

You'll see why she's that way as it goes on.

That’s kind of the point of the story. You’ll see as it develops.
I'll see why nobody else seems to notice that she is annoying as fuck. OK then.
I'm curious now. I didn't hugely love episode one. In fact I found it a bit tough because everyone was so irritating. . . but I guess this will all be explained.
I am not familiar with the story but I am assuming a lot has been changed for TV?

I couldn't finish Big Bug by the way. Ugh.

I'll see why nobody else seems to notice that she is annoying as fuck. OK then.
I'm curious now. I didn't hugely love episode one. In fact I found it a bit tough because everyone was so irritating. . . but I guess this will all be explained.
I am not familiar with the story but I am assuming a lot has been changed for TV?

I
It definitely gets better and more gripping as the series progresses so worth sticking with imo.

wFucking loved Inventing Anna... and it took me ages to realise Anna Chlumsky was the journalist! I think the charachters were meant to be annoying and it was all really well done.
I don't mind characters being annoying, I just didn't understand why everyone didn't just tell Chlumsky to fuck off every time she opened her mouth. Instead they are all sympathetic/ nice to her and help her out/ accommodate her.
I guess I'll have to watch more to find out. Getting positive reviews despite my decidedly lukewarm feelings about episode one.

Back
Top Bottom