Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

I don’t even know if I can recommend it. Brilliantly made but proper infuriating
oh wow, what an absolute cunt :(

eta: not finding it so well made. When the music and that is constantly tense rather than gradually building tension I find it really hard to follow. Just how my brain works though I guess. Subtitles agree with me: Screenshot_20220214-145723.png

Last edited:
I watched Avengement which was a bit crap but had entertainment and comedic value overall. Big 'Gangs of London' influence in the violence and the whole thing tbh. The redoubtable Thomas Turgoose gets some good bits. Craig Fairbrass also.

I had to watch Tinder Swindler to understand lots of memes I'd seen. :oops: :DThe Dutch woman was brilliant and getting some of her money back in that way was excellent.

Might have to watch Puppet Master now.

I remember the puppet master case from the first trial (tho not particularly well). His release following appeal was a key driver in bringing in the coercive control law (only took another six or seven years). It would still be hard to prosecute him without the victims blessing, but at least he wouldn’t get out so quickly if it did come. No such law in France, which is probably why he’s there.

Am I watching something else? I'm three episodes in to Anna and is certainly not grabbing me the way it seems to be grabbing everyone else. Don't get me wrong it's decent enough fluff, but at the moment I could still take it or leave it. It's probably the rave reviews from people who have completed it that are keeping me going. I'm more curious as to when it will become gripping and what the turning point will be.

Am I watching something else? I'm three episodes in to Anna and is certainly not grabbing me the way it seems to be grabbing everyone else. Don't get me wrong it's decent enough fluff, but at the moment I could still take it or leave it. It's probably the rave reviews from people who have completed it that are keeping me going. I'm more curious as to when it will become gripping and what the turning point will be.

I was a bit ambivalent after the first episode but hooked after the third.

Well that's what I have heard but I've just done the third and I don't think my feeling have changed. . . . Unless you mean it takes off after the third.

I guess if you're not interested in the characters and their motivations by the end of the third then maybe you don't like the show that much.

Why are you posting on u75 halfway through an episode then? :D

Why not?

I don't switch my PC off and sit staring at the telly for hours on end, they are both on at the same time.

If I can't manage to post a short sentence without losing concentration on a TV show then I need someone to book me in for a cognitive function test.

In fact because I can touch-type I don't even need to take my eyes off the TV.

:)

Well that's what I have heard but I've just done the third and I don't think my feeling have changed. . . . Unless you mean it takes off after the third.
For me it did kind of take off after the third. Not necessarily the fourth episode, but around the middle the series there is an outstanding episode (the one in Morocco) that takes the series to the next level and then some. From then on you'll be (or should be) hooked to it.

I liked Inventing Anna, I enjoyed the second half more, pretty much as the lies start coming apart is when it gets good imo. There is a flux of 'characters', some important at one time then disappearing, previous bit parts then coming to the fore (probably like her life).

My only complaint is that Netflix called it a "limited series" but at 9 episodes that is surely a full series, limited is 3 or 4.

My only complaint is that Netflix called it a "limited series" but at 9 episodes that is surely a full series, limited is 3 or 4.

I think "limited series" means it's limtied to one season, and refers to the fact it's a one-off story with zero prospect of it being renewed for further seasons, rather than there being a limited number of episodes in that single season.

I think "limited series" means it's limtied to one season, and refers to the fact it's a one-off story with zero prospect of it being renewed for further seasons, rather than there being a limited number of episodes in that single season.

They quite often label shows that they have picked up from elsewhere eg BBC dramas as limited series though, and since they didn't make them they can't say for sure that there is zero prospect of it being renewed, since they do not quite own Telly yet. :D

I understand it to mean something shorter than the standard US run (which is typically 12+ episodes).

I enjoyed the first few episodes and the Morocco ones were great, but then the one where they went to Germany was a bit dull (and really long). Just got the last episode to watch.

Previously watched Tindler Swindler and Puppet Master - this one is much more enjoyable to watch as she's basically just scamming shallow rich dim people who love money.

I'm hooked in Inventing Anna too. I am just hooked on the story and I am finding everything about it highly entertaining. She's quite a fascinating figure and I can't help but admire her chutzpah even though she's probably some sort of horrendous psychopath.

Back
Top Bottom