Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Stranger Things season 4 is twice as long as season 3 so they've split it in two. First half drops 27th May, the second half on 1st July. Confirmed as penultimate season.
It's not twice as long, it has one extra episode, which makes it as long as season 2. Splitting seasons has become a thing on Netflix now (which I'm not a fan of)

Watching the first few minutes of Tick Tick Boom not sure if I can stomach it. It's 2021 not 1960, turning thirty is fuck all these days min, get a grip. Ten years later and I may sympathise....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Reminds me of the 1966 song "I'm 28" by Tony Basil (she was almost 40 when Hey Micky came out in 81)
Where she laments that her life is practically over and she has achieved nothing.
"I don't want to finish up alone in a rocking chair"

It's not twice as long, it has one extra episode, which makes it as long as season 2. Splitting seasons has become a thing on Netflix now (which I'm not a fan of)

They said it has twice the runtime, I presume the episodes must be longer then…

Archive 81 would have made a fantastic film, that's all I will say.
I think it would have made a far better film than it did a TV series. These days I am usually saying the opposite.
I was not a fan of the show, too slow, not well structured, internal logic and mythology too scattergun. There was a nice neat and intriguing plot in there somewhere that would have better suited the short format of a film, instead of the dreadful (leading nowhere) cliffhangers.

Like most of the shows I moan about, I moan because I am lamenting the loss of the far better show that it could have been. If it was total trash I probably wouldn't comment . . . I did actually watch the whole thing, which can be quite rarity of late.

Watching the first few minutes of Tick Tick Boom not sure if I can stomach it. It's 2021 not 1960, turning thirty is fuck all these days min, get a grip. Ten years later and I may sympathise....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
It doesn't take place in 2021, it's an autobiographical musical by Jonathan Larson which takes place in the early 90s, when gay men often didn't grow very old and Larson's friends were dropping dead all around him. He only lived to the age of 36, but he didn't die of AIDS. An undiagnosed congenital condition killed him just before his musical Rent had its premiere and made him posthumously famous.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of Larson's work, I saw both this and Rent on the stage and didn't care much for either. May still check this out as I like Garfield.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread, I hopped onto Queen of the South. On the final 5th season. Almost reaching the end. I've really enjoyed this and going to miss binge watching it.
I watched first series, thought it was pretty bad. Especially the acting, I really wanted to turn off the TV every time the main lady cartel boss came on screen.

I think it would have made a far better film than it did a TV series. These days I am usually saying the opposite.
I was not a fan of the show, too slow, not well structured, internal logic and mythology too scattergun. There was a nice neat and intriguing plot in there somewhere that would have better suited the short format of a film, instead of the dreadful (leading nowhere) cliffhangers.

Like most of the shows I moan about, I moan because I am lamenting the loss of the far better show that it could have been. If it was total trash I probably wouldn't comment . . . I did actually watch the whole thing, which can be quite rarity of late.

Just out of curiosity...what's your favourite netflix series ever..?

Eta genuinely interested at what would impress you...

not being weird

Last edited:
I accidently clicked Play when I was browsing Netflix and got this

No idea what the fuck is going on most of the time but its still great overall.
I've watched it twice, liking the music.

It doesn't take place in 2021, it's an autobiographical musical by Jonathan Larson which takes place in the early 90s, when gay men often didn't grow very old and Larson's friends were dropping dead all around him. He only lived to the age of 36, but he didn't die of AIDS. An undiagnosed congenital condition killed him just before his musical Rent had its premiere and made him posthumously famous.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of Larson's work, I saw both this and Rent on the stage and didn't care much for either. May still check this out as I like Garfield.
lol, as you might have guessed even without reading the rest of the thread I worked that out as the musical went on. JFC ;)

....and in fairness, the tone at that start of it was so very 2021, as that's when it was made!

Just out of curiosity...what's your favourite netflix series ever..?

Eta genuinely interested at what would impress you...

not being weird
Tastes change depending on mood, but my favourite things on netflix have been. . . .

Fargo series one (only just finished it)
W/Bob and David
The Midnight Gospel
Close Enough
Russian Doll
Community
The second half of season three of Stranger Things
Cobra Kai
First series of Happy
Umbrella academy

There are probably loads. This is just off the top of my head.

I accidently clicked Play when I was browsing Netflix and got this

No idea what the fuck is going on most of the time but its still great overall.
I've watched it twice, liking the music.
I'm not sure how but I came across this last year too. For music is better than the usual Simpson. Visually it's quite entertaining, but I find it hard to watch with most of the music. I did quite like one track though, don't remember the name, kind of rock disco with the lady dancing as a samurai.

I was just catching up with this thread and thought " HoratioCuthbert doesn't know how this goes IRL, does he?" - glad you stuck it out and watched more :)

I keep planning to watch it but am familiar with what happens.
Yeah I'm not remotely familiar with musical theatre, which is a shame as I tend to enjoy them.
PS: I'm a lass though my name suggests otherwise. It's a theatrical sounding ancestor, unfortunately Henrietta wouldn't fit :)

Yeah I'm not remotely familiar with musical theatre, which is a shame as I tend to enjoy them.
PS: I'm a lass though my name suggests otherwise. It's a theatrical sounding ancestor, unfortunately Henrietta wouldn't fit :)

Ah cool, I tend not to make assumptions about gender but Horatio and Cutbert both sound like a very male names from the era of Gilbert & Sullivan! My apologies :)

I'm not sure how but I came across this last year too. For music is better than the usual Simpson. Visually it's quite entertaining, but I find it hard to watch with most of the music. I did quite like one track though, don't remember the name, kind of rock disco with the lady dancing as a samurai.
Friend of mine is saying he's being considered new outlaw country

Comes a brighter day

Understated British crime film. It's ok but could have been so much more than it is.

The lead, Craig Roberts looks about 12.

Comes a brighter day

Understated British crime film. It's ok but could have been so much more than it is.

The lead, Craig Roberts looks about 12.
Ah yes I remember that one. A definitely nearly film.

** Checks notes **

"...Modest but accomplished – a high end jeweller’s is held up, just as a young lad who works as a concierge at a nearby posh hotel pops in on an errand. That’s pretty much it. With Craig Roberts, Imogen Poots, Tim Spall, Geoff Bell, Kevin McKidd and Josef Altin. Confident drama from writer/director Simon Aboud..."

More than half way through new high school whodunnit crime series One of Us is Lying. I thought it was going to be awful, but it’s actually decent. Not great but entertaining in a Sabrina kind of way, and a 6.5/ 10 for me so far.

It’s aimed at younger adult audiences and features mostly unlikeable spoiled teenagers, so many of you will hate it. But I’m enjoying the crime aspect of it. Kind of Breakfast Club meets Heathers with murder thrown in.

Tastes change depending on mood, but my favourite things on netflix have been. . . .

Fargo series one (only just finished it)
W/Bob and David
The Midnight Gospel
Close Enough
Russian Doll
Community
The second half of season three of Stranger Things
Cobra Kai
First series of Happy
Umbrella academy

There are probably loads. This is just off the top of my head.

Have you watched DARK?

As far as I can tell nobody actually likes rent

More than half way through new high school whodunnit crime series One of Us is Lying. I thought it was going to be awful, but it’s actually decent. Not great but entertaining in a Sabrina kind of way, and a 6.5/ 10 for me so far.

It’s aimed at younger adult audiences and features mostly unlikeable spoiled teenagers, so many of you will hate it. But I’m enjoying the crime aspect of it. Kind of Breakfast Club meets Heathers with murder thrown in.
My teen daughter took one look at it and gave it a big NOPE.

Ps, I'm pretty sure Heathers with murder thrown in is still just Heathers.

In in my Netflix list thing, but no. I looked yesterday and saw it had three seasons, so figured it might not be a solid story. I don't know anything about it though. I must have put it on my list for some reason at some point though. . . . . Could well have been recommended here.
Why would having 3 seasons indicate it not having a solid story ? Dark was planned as having a 3 season arc from the start and not only is it the most intricately plotted science fiction series I've ever seen, it actually has a satisfying ending. They obviously knew where they were going from the start.It was initially hyped as a German Stranger Things (there are teenage characters, some of it takes place in the 80s), but it starts more like a Scandi-Noir about a missing kid in a German small town, then gradually introduces science fiction and horror elements, while also managing to be an epic family saga, following 4 families over several generations.

It may be too slow moving for you and not have enough pay offs early on. This is a series where you really have to pay attention, no washing up while casually watching this, lots of fans on here though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom