Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

I've just seen there's a new series of The Sinner. I'm going to watch it tonight but I really hope it's better than the last one. I was quite disappointed by it.

I've just seen there's a new series of The Sinner. I'm going to watch it tonight but I really hope it's better than the last one. I was quite disappointed by it.
I thought the first one was great but even the second had a massive drop off in quality. The third is even worse then?

I thought the first one was great but even the second had a massive drop off in quality. The third is even worse then?
I didn't rate the third and the second wasn't much better. It's a shame because the first series was really good.
It won't stop me watching the fourth though.

Half way through Feria: The Darkest Light. It’s a Spanish supernatural mystery miniseries. It’s not bad but not mind blowing either. I’d say 6/10, so watchable enough if looking for things to watch, but not worth cleaning your diary for.

Amazing filming location at the least. Must visit the town it’s filmed in the next time I’m Andalucía.

Finished watching Alice in Borderland. First Japanese rather than Korean "weird stuff" as my partner calls them I've watched.

I wasn't sure of it at the start but it got more insane as it went along. Reminded me of Audition in that sense. I felt it could have kept that up to the end instead of tying up loose ends at end of series.

First couple of episodes are deceptive. Suddenly went somewhere I didn't anticipate.

Very very violent.

Particularly liked the Japanese hippy free love commune section. Barking mad that was.

All in all it brought back memories of Tarten films Asian Extreme films.

The Korean "weird stuff" Hellbound and Squid game are done in slightly different way. Bit more obvious social comment. Whilst Sci fi type sceneries both felt more grounded in commenting on today's society. Squid Game was a satire imo.

Japanese is altogether different. Taking one on a trip to the wild side in best episodes of Alice. Doesn't shy away from the exploitation side of it either.

If you like true crime stuff and documentaries about confidence tricksters/fraudsters etc. then I recommend The Tinder Swindler.
It's a documentary film one off rather than one of these series that drags it out to too many episodes requiring a large investment of time to watch it and with too many recaps, this is a nicely paced sit and watch in one go job.

Finished watching Alice in Borderland. First Japanese rather than Korean "weird stuff" as my partner calls them I've watched.

I wasn't sure of it at the start but it got more insane as it went along. Reminded me of Audition in that sense. I felt it could have kept that up to the end instead of tying up loose ends at end of series.

First couple of episodes are deceptive. Suddenly went somewhere I didn't anticipate.

Very very violent.

Particularly liked the Japanese hippy free love commune section. Barking mad that was.

All in all it brought back memories of Tarten films Asian Extreme films.

The Korean "weird stuff" Hellbound and Squid game are done in slightly different way. Bit more obvious social comment. Whilst Sci fi type sceneries both felt more grounded in commenting on today's society. Squid Game was a satire imo.

Japanese is altogether different. Taking one on a trip to the wild side in best episodes of Alice. Doesn't shy away from the exploitation side of it either.

Enjoyed AiB, but felt the tonal shift was a bit abrupt, and some of the characters were like they'd walked right out of a manga. But still intrigued to see where they will go with it. Reminded more of Lord of the Flies/Battle Royale than Audition.

Watched that Archive 51 series.
Worra load of drawn out shite. Interesting idea, but it just seemed to flatline the whole way through. No emotion, no scares, no investment, a silly monster that seemed largely unconnected.
The final episode showed some potential, but in general, for me, it was a neat idea that was hugely flawed .

Not a recommendation, as such, more an observation. The Fantasy Island film is a bit dark, isn't it?

Yeah - I quite enjoyed it, I wouldn't say it's the best thing on screen ever and the premise is definitely very silly, but it's watchable enough if you're looking out for a fairly dark and violent thriller/horror to fill a couple of hours one evening without too high expectations.

Watched that Archive 51 series.
Worra load of drawn out shite. Interesting idea, but it just seemed to flatline the whole way through. No emotion, no scares, no investment, a silly monster that seemed largely unconnected.
The final episode showed some potential, but in general, for me, it was a neat idea that was hugely flawed .
I wasn’t that impressed either. I liked a lot of the new elements that kept being introduced, but each thread just ended up being a bit meh.

I didn’t like the central pair. I didn’t hate them, they were just a bit bland and beautiful.

I didn’t like the central pair. I didn’t hate them, they were just a bit bland and beautiful.
I didn't connect with them or care what happened to them. Everyone just plodded through the script. Then at the end there was a jump scare or revelation that (like you say) would just end up going nowhere. A mix of too many things that went on too long and didn't come together.

I didn't connect with them or care what happened to them. Everyone just plodded through the script. Then at the end there was a jump scare or revelation that (like you say) would just end up going nowhere. A mix of too many things that went on too long and didn't come together.
I kept thinking “oh this is where things are going to take off”, but it never did.

It would be interesting to see what your students think - my 17 year old is totally gripped by it. I can take it or leave it.
They haven’t mentioned it. Not like Squid Game. But because I teach film I try to focus on films rather than telly. Not that this isn’t the golden age of tv drama… but they don’t need the encouragement with telly.

I wasn’t that impressed either. I liked a lot of the new elements that kept being introduced, but each thread just ended up being a bit meh.

I rather liked it. I was most impressed with how the found footage part of the story was realised. At the end of the day the audience is meant to be watching the events set in the past through the footage found by the present day character who’s watching at the same time. But the switch from the actual camera footage to a traditional multi camera narration we really had no right to see since it hadn’t been captured by the 1990s character was clever and seamless even though a pedant could argue it’s a plot hole.

Wasn’t the greatest thing ever but a clever premise, engaging storyline and smart realisation of the visuals gets multiple ticks from me. Far better than a myriad of other series of that genre. I didn’t even think the ending was a bad one.

Don’t get your hopes up too much. It drags on a bit too much too. It’s just Murder She Wrote with pretensions.

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window

Odd, dark thriller with Kirsten Bell. It's watchable and each ep is less than half an hour. KB is best thing about it.

They haven’t mentioned it. Not like Squid Game. But because I teach film I try to focus on films rather than telly. Not that this isn’t the golden age of tv drama… but they don’t need the encouragement with telly.
True I’m sure - she found squid game for me and I found Archive 81 for her

I kept thinking “oh this is where things are going to take off”, but it never did.
Right up to the end. I thought it was taking off when they went into the other world, but it didn't (silly monster didn't help). Then it just ended as if something interesting was about to happen. . . But it doesn't. I'd forgive the final final end bit if it wasn't similar to how they ended every other episode.

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window

Odd, dark thriller with Kirsten Bell. It's watchable and each ep is less than half an hour. KB is best thing about it.
It's a spoof that sends up a variety of recent film and series offerings (Woman in the Window, Fear of Rain are the 2 most obvious ones, but there were plenty of others referenced etc) but it isn't spoofy enough to actually come across as a spoof so it just ends up seeming like a not particularly well thought out and somewhat odd and silly/slightly hammed-up thriller series.

I mean I watch a lot of that sort of stuff and could pick out a lot of references to the things it was sending up, I quite enjoyed it, but it really needed to be more spoofy than it was.

Enjoyed the first episode of the brand new Murderville, an American remake of the BBC3 series Murder in Successville.

For anyone not familiar with the concept, each episode features a celebrity guest trying to help solve a murder case, but they don’t know the script of the episode and are improvising throughout.

Easy watching, irreverent comedy :)

That sounds like a fun idea. Never heard of the original.
It’s a bit hit and miss to be fair and some of the guest celebrities largely piss themselves laughing rather than pretending to act or play their roles. So it’s a bit Marmite. But as each episode is mostly a standalone story, one can dip and out of the series and take each episode as an undemanding half hour chunk of comedy.

To be honest the episodes in which the guest celeb is pissing themselves and ‘ruining’ the storyline are funnier ones. So expect more silliness than an engaging comedy crime series.

Watching the “Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window” - I like it. I’m not very familiar with the genre, but the various tropes are familiar from various adjacent genres.

Parody of any mass media format is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, and I’m not sure that without a separate purpose/aim it couldn’t be done to better effect in a 6 minute sketch. But it’s with highbrow-lazy or stupid but detailed enough to sustain my interest.

It’s a bit hit and miss to be fair and some of the guest celebrities largely piss themselves laughing rather than pretending to act or play their roles. So it’s a bit Marmite. But as each episode is mostly a standalone story, one can dip and out of the series and take each episode as an undemanding half hour chunk of comedy.

To be honest the episodes in which the guest celeb is pissing themselves and ‘ruining’ the storyline are funnier ones. So expect more silliness than an engaging comedy crime series.
I watched one last night . Not impressed so far, might just be because of Conan. It was just like an extended Conan O Brian skit/special. Not that I hate Conan, it just didn't work quite as well as I imagined. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom