Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

We only got one and a half stories into 'The House', my wife and daughter didn't like it at all, and I really wasn't that interested. Might watch the end on my own one day.
It must be quite difficult finding something you all like, I imagine. 3 different individuals of varying ages and life experience/minds.

It must be quite difficult finding something you all like, I imagine. 3 different individuals of varying ages and life experience/minds.
It's not that hard really. I mean I wasn't very keen anyway, my daughter was just more vocal about it. I certainly didn't complain when we switched it off.
We do generally like quite similar things. 18 rated is generally off the table and my wife and daughter don't like darker stuff (unless it's in anime form) I have a far lower tolerance for anime than they do, but I do have a relatively high tolerance for it compared to most adults.
I did marry my wife because we got along, and we did make the child we have together.

Ready Player One - if it's still on iPlayer (I know this is the Netflix thread - it was on Netflix but seems to have disappeared, it was on iPlayer as recently as last weekend)
We have already watched it. I did actually suggest to my daughter earlier but she says it's still fresh in her mind. It's a shame isle of dogs isn't still playing.

I have just had a look through. . . we are probably just going to do the Cobra Kai climax

Ready Player One - if it's still on iPlayer (I know this is the Netflix thread - it was on Netflix but seems to have disappeared, it was on iPlayer as recently as last weekend)

We have already watched it. I did actually suggest to my daughter earlier but she says it's still fresh in her mind. It's a shame isle of dogs isn't still playing.

I have just had a look through. . . we are probably just going to do the Cobra Kai climax
This probably belongs in the Books thread, but I can’t recommend the book enough if you even vaguely liked the film. So much more multilayered, and thoroughly enjoyable.

This probably belongs in the Books thread, but I can’t recommend the book enough if you even vaguely liked the film. So much more multilayered, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Thanks, will have a look - I thought the film was great. I'm always on the lookout for family friendly fun/action films to put on when my parents come round, we watched that (well I re-watched it, they saw it for the first time) on their most recent visit and they loved it too - it's a good film.

I did 'vaguely' like it. I'll check it out. . . . but if it ends up being like that time when everybody told me Harry Potter wasn't a childrens book, I'm coming for you.

I can’t remember if it’d been on Netflix before, but it’s certainly on now. If there was such a thing as as a Best Low Budget B-film award, I would be cheerleading for Circle (not The Circle).

A perfect late evening film, and actually surprisingly engaging and thought-provoking. If you’re looking for watchable late night fodder, this is as good as they come.

The book is truly terrible. The author spells out every single reference in case his audience misses them - it's like being bludgeoned with a hammer over and over again.

I did 'vaguely' like it. I'll check it out. . . . but if it ends up being like that time when everybody told me Harry Potter wasn't a childrens book, I'm coming for you.
Well, it’s most certainly not Harry Potter territory, in terms of the readership it’s intended for at least.

It’s basically a grown-up fantasy/sci-fi tale particularly suited to to those of us born in the 1970s and 80s. That in itself doesn’t guarantee you’ll like the book, but it will undoubtedly resonate with you (as I believe like me you’re in your 40s or 50s) and it’s certainly not a kiddies’ book.

OK, I'm out. That sounds like the kind of shit I really hate.
Before you make your decision based on a single poster’s opinion in here, you might as well consider a few more before making your mind.

Not that I care that much either way or have shares or an interest in the publishing company that released the book, but it is still a very good read imo, and was well received by critics and punters alike. If you enjoyed the film, it seems bonkers not to give the book a try if you like reading…

231A89DB-C004-4D25-B4BA-5E424DFC7E35.jpeg

The Godfather

I never really got the appeal of that - I just don't like films about the Mafia however well they are made, it just is not subject matter that appeals to me. Gangster stuff too, I find it difficult to get into or relate to in any way.

The funny thing is when the frighteningly posh family across the road from my parents (there is a really odd situation there with a row of council houses one side of the road and a row of mansions on the other - it is weird as fuck but it is what it is) wanted to watch one of the Godfather films because some of it had been filmed somewhere that they regularly went on holiday to their villa, they asked my parents if they could bring the video of the film round to watch because they were so frightfully upper class that they didn't have a TV or VCR - having a TV was something they considered a bit common - so they went round to my parents to watch Godfather II or whichever one it was, sitting in the little front room of my parents' council house watching the film on a TV and VCR from Radio Rentals probably being plied with cups of tea and a slice of cake (my mum is a great baker to be fair) but being posh they were probably expecting wine and antipasti or something.

My mum said afterwards that it was an extremely odd and uncomfortable evening.

Last edited:
I never really got the appeal of that - I just don't like films about the Mafia however well they are made, it just is not subject matter that appeals to me. Gangster stuff too, I find it difficult to get into or relate to in any way.

The funny thing is when the frighteningly posh family across the road from my parents (there is a real odd situation there with a row of council houses one side of the road and a row of mansions on the other - it is weird as fuck but it is what it is) wanted to watch one of the Godfather films because some of it had been filmed somewhere that they regularly went on holiday, they asked my parents if they could bring the video of the film round to watch because they were so frightfully upper class that they didn't have a TV or VCR - having a TV was something they considered a bit common - so they went round to my parents to watch Godfather II or whichever one it was, sitting in the little front room of my parents' council house watching the film on a TV and VCR from Radio Rentals probably being plied with cups of tea and a slice of cake (my mum is a great baker to be fair) but being posh they were probably expecting wine and antipasti or something.

My mum said afterwards that it was an extremely odd and uncomfortable evening.

The second film is probably the best of the trilogy. Sure, the films are a look at an era of the mafia - the rise and fall of one particular branch, but it's much more than just that. It's about family, power, corruption, betrayal. It's also a metaphor for the emptiness of the "American Dream". Of course, took years for yours truly to realise all that. At the time, it was just a good story and Al Pacino's intense presence from young war, hero to dead-eyed patriarch.

The second film is probably the best of the trilogy. Sure, the films are a look at an era of the mafia - the rise and fall of one particular branch, but it's much more than just that. It's about family, power, corruption, betrayal. It's also a metaphor for the emptiness of the "American Dream". Of course, took years for yours truly to realise all that. At the time, it was just a good story and Al Pacino's intense presence from young war, hero to dead-eyed patriarch.

I have tried, I just can't get into it enough to want to watch the whole of the first film - you know when you can appreciate that something is really well made and deserves praise - but it's just not for you, and life is too short to try to force yourself to like something that just isn't doing it for you?

I have tried, I just can't get into it enough to want to watch the whole of the first film - you know when you can appreciate that something is really well made and deserves praise - but it's just not for you, and life is too short to try to force yourself to like something that just isn't doing it for you?

Of course.

There's been films and recommendations that avoided for ages because knew that they weren't for me. Was always happy to be proved wrong. Rarely bail on a film, mind. Whether like it or not, always feel compelled to watch it to the end. Used to boil my piss when someone would say, yeah film X is really shit and they've watched, like, 20 mins of it.

Of course.

There's been films and recommendations that avoided for ages because knew that they weren't for me. Was always happy to be proved wrong. Rarely bail on a film, mind. Whether like it or not, always feel compelled to watch it to the end. Used to boil my piss when someone would say, yeah film X is really shit and they've watched, like, 20 mins of it.

If I go to the cinema I tend to sit through the entire thing - the only film I ever left before it was finished was something truly dreadful that in some surreal twist of fate I had ended up at the premier in Leicester Square and hadn't actually paid for tickets and was stoned out of my gourd (me and weed do not mix well and I haven't done it in years now) and recall very little about the bit of the film that I saw.

At home though, if I don't engage with something fairly quickly, I'll find something else to watch - life's too short and there is a lot of stuff I haven't watched/read/played yet.

Back
Top Bottom