Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Before you make your decision based on a single poster’s opinion in here, you might as well consider a few more before making your mind.

Not that I care that much either way or have shares or an interest in the publishing company that released the book, but it is still a very good read imo, and was well received by critics and punters alike. If you enjoyed the film, it seems bonkers not to give the book a try if you like reading…

View attachment 307180
I didn't enjoy the film, I just didn't hate it. It's watchable trash. I really don't like references and plot points being pointed out vividly when they don't need to be, it's a pet hate. I thought the film did this a little too much as is. . . But of course you are right, I shouldn't write it off without trying it myself. I won't put it to the top of my reading list though, I haven't read anything more than autobiographies for quite some time now.

Ouch, ten years? I still think of it as a very recent Anderson film.
Good film. Most enjoyable.
Yeh, knew it was pretty old when I saw Ed Norton looking so young :D Ahh, I was thinking of recommending it to you as a family film, but then I wasn't sure if a) you'd seen it and b) if you might think it wasn't appropriate to show your girl.

Yeh, knew it was pretty old when I saw Ed Norton looking so young :D Ahh, I was thinking of recommending it to you as a family film, but then I wasn't sure if a) you'd seen it and b) if you might think it wasn't appropriate to show your girl.
We did all watch it together quite recently. My daughter is older than all the kids in the movie, so even though I remember some bits being a tad racy I thought it would be ok (the rating said so too). I think it was only one hand on breast moment in the end, nothing too shocking.
The wife definitely liked it a lot. She also liked the Grand Budapest Hotel, Isle of dogs and Fantastic Mr Fox, but I don't remember her liking any other Wes Anderson films. I think my daughter tolerated it.

I must admit I thought Shwartzman looked shockingly convincing as a youngster . . . but maybe he actually was 10 years ago.

Mother/Android was passable entertainment, apocalyptic sci-fi nonsense about androids, but Chloë Grace Moretz, who was the lead (human), seemed to be dialing it in, there was something a bit off about her performance, like she was just going through motions. I don't think she was heavyweight or good enough to carry off the role.

I'd like to add something else, but I've forgotten how to add spoiler tags, can someone please remind me?

Mother/Android was passable entertainment, apocalyptic sci-fi nonsense about androids, but Chloë Grace Moretz, who was the lead (human), seemed to be dialing it in, there was something a bit off about her performance, like she was just going through motions. I don't think she was heavyweight or good enough to carry off the role.

I'd like to add something else, but I've forgotten how to add spoiler tags, can someone please remind me?
Click on the three dots on the right. . .

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 15.39.24.png

Then the crossed out eye.
Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 15.39.31.png

Or just write in . .
This is a spoiler
Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 15.41.18.png

We did all watch it together quite recently. My daughter is older than all the kids in the movie, so even though I remember some bits being a tad racy I thought it would be ok (the rating said so too). I think it was only one hand on breast moment in the end, nothing too shocking.
The wife definitely liked it a lot. She also liked the Grand Budapest Hotel, Isle of dogs and Fantastic Mr Fox, but I don't remember her liking any other Wes Anderson films. I think my daughter tolerated it.

I must admit I thought Shwartzman looked shockingly convincing as a youngster . . . but maybe he actually was 10 years ago.
Jason Schwartzman didn't play a youngster in Moonlight Kingdom, he played a camp counsellor. He was a youngster in Wes Anderson's Rushmore though.

Jason Schwartzman didn't play a youngster in Moonlight Kingdom, he played a camp counsellor. He was a youngster in Wes Anderson's Rushmore though.
I am aware of that but he seemed very young, and acted very much like the younger boys. I know he was obviously was not as young as the other boys but he did not come across as particularly adult.

I do love Rushmore. At least I 'did'. I have not seen it for several years. Probably overdid it a bit.
One thing I would like it see is the original Bottle Rocket. I was hoping it would be an extra on the DVD but it wasn't and was only available as a separate US rental DVD back when I last gave it some thought (early 2000s)

I haven’t looked it up, and don’t tell me if you know for sure, but I was hoping she might have somehow survived her predicament. I can let you know if you want
I haven't watched the new one but I thought they made it a pretty sure thing at the end of the last series.
I will probably end up watching it. I'm running out of things to watch on netflix, once amazon runs out again I'll need something to do the washing up to in the morning.

I haven't watched the new one but I thought they made it a pretty sure thing at the end of the last series.
I will probably end up watching it. I'm running out of things to watch on netflix, once amazon runs out again I'll need something to do the washing up to in the morning.
If you want to know my thoughts on her fate from the first episode, click below. Obviously contains spoilers…

Well it looks like she might have! Without saying much about what else happens in the episode, an away team visits the research station to search for data (or another research station perhaps, not sure), and one of them discovers a sublevel with working machinery and heat. Someone in a full ‘space suit’ with obscure helmet attacks him, clearly thinking he’s one of the bad ones, but he knocks the mystery person out and carries them back to the train.

You don’t get to see the face in this episode, but who else could it be? Unless it’s a double bluff and we’re about to get introduced to a new character

I figured out the twist as soon as I saw Arthur put away his blade as soon as he saw she was pregnant.

Watched nightbooks. Falls short of being something that will be decent viewing for kids and adults. I even felt it was a bit too childish for my 14 year old. It didn't have to inject any more horror or adult themes, but would have worked just fine with a more adult sensibility. Less grottbags more Goonies.

I'm not sure I care now that they have got rid of that girl from Labyrinth.

Yeah Jennifer Connelly is apparently in series 3. So I might give it a gander since she's by far the best reason for watching in it. Well, her and Alison Wright.

Thought this was interesting re: Queens Gambit:

Last edited:
Just finished Cobra Kai season 4. It's so cheesy and the storylines are just daft but I think it's the best TV show out there at the moment. Can't wait until season 5.

Archive 81.

Watched an episode the other night. Then another half an episode the night after, after a shattering day at work and was falling asleep while watching it.

So far, tonight/this morning, I finished watching the last half of that episode, followed by binge-watching three more episodes. Now on another. It's very more-ish.

ETA: Watched the last two episodes of season one today. It is quite thrilling and gripping.

I'd say it's a bit Stranger Things-y, but with a couple of nerdy guys as protagonist and sidekick instead of a bunch of kids, and also a woman and a teenage girl as sidekick in a sort of parallel/interacting storyline, which is otherworldy in a kind of Stranger Things-y type way, albeit more Hammer Horror/occulty.

Last edited:
OK, I'm out. That sounds like the kind of shit I really hate.

Before you make your decision based on a single poster’s opinion in here, you might as well consider a few more before making your mind.

Not that I care that much either way or have shares or an interest in the publishing company that released the book, but it is still a very good read imo, and was well received by critics and punters alike. If you enjoyed the film, it seems bonkers not to give the book a try if you like reading…

Literature.

CqXDic7UIAELZx_

There's a thread on it. Ready Player One

I'm not a fan.

Archive 81, finally. Loving it so far.

Those of you who enjoyed it - Epona, T & P, Thora, AnnO'Neemus - might want to check out some of the two directors other stuff, Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson

Be advised: they refuse to meet your expectations on endings, pretty much all the time

I recommend Resolution, The Endless, Spring and Synchronic. They are all a bit ... off, if you know what I mean. Unsettling. Not horror though. All of them bear repeated watching IMO

Edit as I just noticed Aaron's surname was Motorhead :D

Last edited:
Archive 81, finally. Loving it so far.

Those of you who enjoyed it - Epona, T & P, Thora, AnnO'Neemus - might want to check out some of the two directors other stuff, Aaron Motorhead and Justin Benson

Be advised: they refuse to meet your expectations on endings, pretty much all the time

I recommend Resolution, The Endless, Spring and Synchronic. They are all a bit ... off, if you know what I mean. Unsettling. Not horror though. All of them bear repeated watching IMO

Thank you for the recommendations! Archive 81 was right up my street, absolutely loved it, so will look out for some of those you've mentioned :)

I wouldn't recommend The War Below, which is about the big bangs created by miners under the trenches in WW1. Most of the film lacks tension and doesn't make the most of what it could be.

This particular struggle in WW1 is better covered in Beneath Hill 60, which isn't on netflix atm

Back
Top Bottom