Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Corporate/tech film and show recommendations

You mean that I have wide-ranging tastes, and I’m not restricted to snobbery towards genre.

No. I mean, you have the entertainment tastes of a 10 year old!

Nothing at all wrong with that though, and you've certainly livened up the thread a bit :D

Trading Places is fondly referred to as a Christmas comedy, but its understanding of the NY Stock Exchange and shares trading was said to be profound.

In fact, as I understand it, the scheme that Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd’s characters pull on the Duke brothers was not not only achievable but exposed a legal loophole so problematic, new legislation was passed in 2011 to prevent anyone from trying it for real. It actually has became known as The Eddie Murphy Rule

I have watched the film countless times and I must admit I still don’t get how it works :D

Thank You for Smoking was good, don't think it's available for streaming in the UK for free at the moment, but I don't have access to all platforms.

"Thank You for Smoking is a 2005 American satirical black comedy film written and directed by Jason Reitman and starring Aaron Eckhart, based on the 1994 satirical novel of the same name by Christopher Buckley. It follows the efforts of Big Tobacco's chief spokesman, Nick Naylor, who lobbies on behalf of cigarettes using heavy spin tactics while also trying to remain a role model for his 12-year-old son. Maria Bello, Adam Brody, Sam Elliott, Katie Holmes, Rob Lowe, William H. Macy, J. K. Simmons, and Robert Duvall appear in supporting roles." - Wikipedia blurb

Trading Places is fondly referred to as a Christmas comedy, but its understanding of the NY Stock Exchange and shares trading was said to be profound.

In fact, as I understand it, the scheme that Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd’s characters pull on the Duke brothers was not not only achievable but exposed a legal loophole so problematic, new legislation was passed in 2011 to prevent anyone from trying it for real. It actually has became known as The Eddie Murphy Rule

I have watched the film countless times and I must admit I still don’t get how it works :D
Another film which hasn't aged well. Not a lot of those SNL alumni movies of that era have.

Hated Wall Street at the time, although suspect might appreciate it more now. In terms of film making, if not having sympathy for corporate psychos.

:D Ah come on! I've worked in The City for 30 years and never met 90% of those characters. Every desk head is a bullying psycho, everyone's an absolutely ghastly back-stabber, they're all shagging each other and so far they're 100% coke-heads! Complete 80s stereotypes. You get a few of those but most city workers are perfectly normal.
Which character is most like you? :pinky:

There is actually a great German film set in a similar environment - In The Aisles - flavours-of-the-month Sandra Huller and Franz Rogowski both star in it and it’s more fun than films about their bosses nailing meetings with other bosses and beating their chests
Watched this tonight. Really enjoyed it, thank you for the recommendation.

I thought it shone a light on the loneliness and isolation of modern life, the workers were somewhat left behind by reunification but found a quiet dignity and community in their work, mundane though it might be. Far more relatable to me anyway and definitely more interesting than some Americans wearing suits shouting at each other as you say.

Fuck off, I’m sincere. Business cunts can fuck off. And films about them can fuck off even more.
It’s more controversial to be championing this sort of shit.
It's a shame you didn't bother to watch Dropout before going off on one.

It's actually a fascinating account of how a charismatic personality can become CEO of a multi million dollar start up when they essentially have no working product - it was just greedy corporate types desperate to win big on the latest thing.

It's actually a fascinating account of how a charismatic personality can become CEO of a multi million dollar start up when they essentially have no working product - it was just greedy corporate types desperate to win big on the latest thing.
sounds boring. you're not going to change my mind. i thought i'd made my position clear. there's too much to watch out there, so happy to swerve such films.

Is it recommended then. I see it is on Disney plus. I can also see that I already watched about 20 minutes and then "dropped out", though I have no recollection of it at all. . . . Or is The Dropout something different from Dropout?

Is it recommended then. I see it is on Disney plus. I can also see that I already watched about 20 minutes and then "dropped out", though I have no recollection of it at all. . . . Or is The Dropout something different from Dropout?

Definitely recommend it if you’re into tech/business.

It's the true story of Elizabeth Holmes, who "dropped out" of Stanford University to start a tech company and became one of the youngest billionaires ever, but it all ends in tears.

Dull boring people streaming dull films celebrating people making money really boringly. If you’re gonna rob people on film, depict it as a daring heist on one night, not as a decades-long tale of marketing and sales.
We need more subversive films about workers in the workplace, not overbearing tech bros landing deals and smoking cigars. Last good one to spring to mind isSorry To Bother You
It's only a matter of time before we get a Mr. Potter origin story film, detailing the rise and rise of the arsehole out of Its A Wonderful Life

It's only a matter of time before we get a Mr. Potter origin story film, detailing the rise and rise of the arsehole out of Its A Wonderful Life

Potter was Matt Groening’s inspiration for Mr Burns, every right thinking person’s favourite Simpsons character, so it’s almost happened.

Dumb Money - 2023 film, true story of how a bunch of Youtubers and Redditers bought up stock in GameStop, causing various hedge funders and corporate investors to lose hundreds of millions. Yay!

1713524402969.png

Back
Top Bottom