Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mountbatten's role in '68 plot against Harold Wilson.

Always made me laugh how many squaddies took the piss about Mountbatten. The media thought that the services loved the old cunt, but frankly most of my mates had more sympathy for the teenager that died, than for Louis Battenburg.

That was certainly not my experience.

A school friend who joined the army on the same day as me was killed that day at Warrenpoint.

The Day Mountbatten Died
9pm, BBC Two
Director Sam Collyns’s powerful film about the events surrounding the IRA’s assassination of Lord Louis Mountbatten in Sligo in August 1979 is a respectful masterpiece, which uses Mountbatten’s death as a springboard to discuss the other lives taken by the terrorists that fateful day in revenge for Bloody Sunday: three others aboard his boat Shadow V and 18 British soldiers murdered in Northern Ireland. Friends, relations, military commanders and even former IRA men tell the dreadful tale.
TV tonight: a masterpiece on the assassination of Lord Mountbatten

This makes for an interesting read.

Revealed: Full extent of Lord Mountbatten's role in '68 plot against Harold Wilson (not behind their paywall)

WTF were they thinking?

The late 60/early 70's was a febrile time and coup rumours by the military and ruling class were common. But it wasn't against the Government per se, it was a widespread concern about the power and agency of the organised working class.

It's hard to conceive now but the gap between rich and poor was narrowing to a record low,
there were union strategies that significantly increased pay, terms and conditions and working class power in the workplace. In fact the debate was about control and ownership not agency.

Add in Labour plans to extend state intervention in the commanding sections of the economy, some moral panics about young people with disposable income, an IRA campaign and the Angry Brigade and there was a sense that a firm military crackdown was needed to ‘stop the rot’

I mention all of this for two reasons, 1, it's well worth anyone interested in transformative politics reading more about and 2, because if a Corbyn government came to power you could see these types of rumblings emanate from the media and other establishment circles again in any number of foreseeable circumstances like civil unrest, economic turbulence or a sense that Corbyn wasn't being tough enough militarily.

Last edited:
IRA and bravery must be the ultimate oxymoron.

IRA, cowardly murdering verminous scum, is a better descriptor.

They weren't cowards, it takes guts to starve yourself to death in protest against a regime that you know won't give in.

And given the oppression they were reacting against are you sure you wouldn't have reacted similarly had you be born a working class Catholic in Belfast or Derry

Last edited:
They weren't cowards, it takes guts to starve yourself to death in protest against a regime that you know won't give in.

And given the oppression they were reacting against are you sure you wouldn't have reacted similarly had you be born a working class Catholic in Belfast or Derry

I'm simply going to ignore this risible post. I have made my position clear, search if it is of any interest to you, or don't. I really couldn't care less.

That was certainly not my experience.

A school friend who joined the army on the same day as me was killed that day at Warrenpoint.

My Grandad's original battalion of the L.I. before he joined the Paras, got stuck with post-war to Partition. Whereas previous Viceroys were diplomats or former General Staff, whom knew how to seek and listen to advice, Battenburg was fond of just chucking men and materiel at problems. He was loathed by many of the men he put in harm's way, and as I'm sure you're aware, regts have long memories for that sort of shit.

Sorry about your friend, but it doesn't change the fact that Battenburg was a typical aristo cunt, with none of the Duke of Ed's mediocre talent for command.

Back
Top Bottom